“Great location and a very nice club lounge”

Sheraton Munchen Westpark Hotel
Ranked #59 of 387 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for few nights to accompany my husband, who practically lives here now (apart from weekends) as he is allocated to a work project in Munich. He is quite pleased with this hotel and I can easily understand why. First of all, it is a very nice, comfortable and clean hotel. I would not necessarily call it luxurious, but it is more than decent. The staff is very friendly and generally things are done very efficiently.
The location of this hotel is great, it is situated in the central part of the city, and only few steps away from S-Bahn and U-Bahn stations, so I could get anywhere very easily. There are also many restaurants around the hotel with international cuisine, so we could pick and choose our evening meals.
The rooms and bathrooms are nice and tidy, and the furniture is OK. The chain operates a green programme, where guests can give up room cleaning, which shows an ecological awareness and is something definitely worth supporting (plus there are some incentives related to it).
The food was very good. We took our breakfasts downstairs (in the hotel restaurant) and it was always a very pleasant experience. Good quality of food, great choice, nothing to complain about (well, if I was to look really hard for improvement suggestions, I would say the hotel could serve pancakes perhaps...)
The club lounge was really very nice, nicely designed, and run very efficiently. It was very quiet during the day, so I enjoyed working there, it felt quite intimate and there was nothing to distract me. In the evenings, when the hotel guests were back from work, it usually was more lively, but still the atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. And there was always a nice selection of snacks and drinks.
To sum it up: I would recommend this hotel without any hesitation and I hope to stay there again soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank QPixels
SheratonWestpark, Manager at Sheraton Munchen Westpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear “QPixels”,
Thank you very much for your visit and for sharing your experiences with the TripAdvisor community. I am more than pleased to share your positive review with our staff who made you feel so welcome. Great to hear that you support our ‘make a green choice’ program – if you decide not to have your room cleaned during your stay you can chose from one of three incentives (SPG points, food and beverage voucher or a donation to Unicef). However, you may always ask for exchange towels or amenities through our guest service center, who will offer immediate assistance. Do accompany your husband again and let us know, so we can prepare some pancakes for you.
Best regards from Munich,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed 1 night at the Sheraton Munchen Westpark hotel.

The hotel is 10Euro cab ride from the main station and it takes a similar amount of time to get there. The hotel is an old hotel which the new Sheraton look. We had a club room but were not given a room in the club floor but another floor and when i asked she said was a club floor! Strange!

Other then that there is more then adequate evening aperitifs and foods in the club lounge and also breakfast is more then adequate in the same place. The club lounge was packed on both occasions and i assume there must be times wherein seating would also be a problem.

The hotel is attached to a sub way station less than a minutes walk. Don't expect luxury but a well prices business hotel!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank surfindia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Location
Good location in the center of Munich. Close to Parks and S-Bahn and U-Bahn stations. Great for getting around and public transportation. If you take a big jump from the hotel, you will end up in the U-Bahn station. It is that close!

Parking
Underground Parking was conveniently located. It goes downhill from there.
Parking spaces are extremely narrow and very, very difficult to maneuver. Charge €20/day which is quite steep. To get from the parking area to the hotel was the craziest part. Two doors at right angles followed by a staircase and a landing and another staircase. Had to haul our luggage through this obstacle course. Complete lack of planning or guest friendliness.
Overall score for Parking - Pathetic!

Check-in process
Simple and quick. Booking was in order. Was mildly pressured to 'upgrade' to Suite. Thought this was a bit ridiculous when being charged €250/day for a double room at the 'daylight robbery Munich Trade fair price'. But, this is not unique to the Sheraton. Everybody enjoys these daylight robbery rates in Munich when a Convention is going on.

The person at the Reception was extremely friendly, attentive and helpful I must admit.

Executive Lounge (10th floor)
I must warn you that I am fresh from one of the best Executive Lounge experiences that I had at the Prague Hilton just a week ago.
There are several negative points about the Lounge
1. Too small and makes for a crowded place with narrow stretches where you have to squeeze past other guests.
2. Single attendant has to manage the entire place. This includes making sure the food and beverages are well stocked and used dishes and glasses are cleared in a timely manner. None of this was done well. Please note, this is not a comment against the person working there. It is a complaint against the hotel management for creating such an environment and setting up people to fail.
3. Quality of the Coffee (machine) was very good.
4. Quality of the food was moderate
5. No ice cubes! They have refrigerators with drinks in it. Several times the drinks were lukewarm and not cold enough. For an American chain (Sheraton) to have an Executive Lounge and not provide a bucket of Ice is UNACCEPTABLE. No self respecting American chain will be caught without ice. This is shameful.
6. Frayed leather on many pieces of furniture.

Overall score for Executive Lounge - Pathetic

Room
Clean and modern furniture. Was quite spacious.
Excellent marks for availability of electrical outlets. Very convenient and plenty of outlets to choose from. Plenty of desk space to lay out your computer and gadgets. My wife and I could both layout our laptops and work with no problems. Room even had a view of the snow covered Alps in the distance.

Attached picture shows the TV with a set of connections (including HDMI cable) that are easily accessible on a panel below the TV. This is an outstanding feature. We hooked up our laptop to the TV and watched a Netflix movie and greatly enjoyed it.

Attached picture shows a proper coffee machine where you can brew yourself a nice cup of coffee with a choice of flavors. Very nice indeed!

Bathroom
Bath accessories (Shampoo, Lotion etc.) were good. A few problems to report on.
1. See attached picture of the bathroom door, when opened runs into the bath towel on the floor. Unacceptable! Germany is known for precision engineering and Sheraton is supposed to be a premium brand hotel. This shows neither precision engineering nor premium brand. This is worse than "Mom & Pop".
2. Even when I took a medium temperature under 5 minute shower, the bathroom mirror fogs up completely. Poor handling of ventilation inside the bathroom.
3. Bathtub has a clear glass wall that can be used to take a shower. This does not go all the way down to the edge of the bathtub. One has to be very careful with positioning this so as to not end up spraying water all over the bathroom floor. Again, poor design.
Overall score for bathroom - Lousy

Fitness Center
Well equipped Fitness Center on the 3rd floor. Nice combo of Treadmills, Elliptical Trainers, Free weights and Nautilus equipment. Well done!

WiFi internet
User ID and password provided worked the first time. Internet worked well throughout. My wife and I had separate computers. They provide access for upto 3 devices which worked well. No complaints.

Elevators
2 Elevators (right next to each other) for a Hotel with 10 floors. Needless to say these elevators are kept quite busy. On Saturday morning for several hours the elevator on the left was broken down. They managed to put up a very thoughtful and helpful sign (see picture) that guests should use the elevator on the Right. I would not have known what to do otherwise.

Overall
Very poor value for the money. Expected more from a Sheraton. Thoroughly disappointed and taken for a ride.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank kumarcheryl
Alexander_Bieber, General Manager at Sheraton Munchen Westpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear “kumarcheryl”,
first of all I want to thank you very much for sharing your experiences and impressions with us and the TripAdvisor Community. Your constructive observations and suggestions are of utmost importance to us in our continuous journey to improve our product and service delivery.
I was more than happy to share your positive Feedback with the front office colleague who checked you in! Unfortunately you did not appreciate other aspects of your stay and I am very sorry to learn that you experienced inconsistent service standards throughout the hotel. Since you commented in some detail, I want to make sure this reply covers at least your main observations.
- The parking facility unfortunately does not belong to us directly, yet we are in ongoing discussions with the owner to improve the direct accessibility to the Hotel, as we know that the current solution is not at all perfect. An ADAC (German Automobile Club) test revealed, that Munich in general has the most narrow parking spaces across Germany. Real Estate prices in Munich are also among the very highest in the country; the correlation is obvious and also explains the nightly rates (which are very competitive in the city by the way). There are other parking options on the street or in front of the building, which are more affordable.
- As for your Club Lounge experience, we usually manage a better impression. Many guests love the intimate and personalized atmosphere. The situation you are describing is certainly not intentional though and was caused by an unusual concentration of guests at this specific time. No excuses, we need to get better at managing these kind of situations – and we will! Ice should of course be there, as well as un-damaged furniture (new pieces are ordered) and it all adds up to a much less than favourable overall impression. We get right on it.
- We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your Club room with the little amenities like coffee machine and the media board at our TVs. Thanks also for your comments about the bathroom design, we are working on those issues already. The ventilation issue must have been specific to your room, but we will check all of them again.
- Our Sheraton Fitness by Core Performance was only redesigned recently – glad you liked it.
- We can only apologize for the broken elevator, but good to hear that you appreciated the work around.
Again, I regret that we have not been able to meet your expectations and I can only thank you for your patronage and honest comments. I hope this reply can illustrate both how sorry we are and how seriously we take constructive and detailed comments such as yours. And should you change your mind and visit us again in the future, we will certainly demonstrate the actions that follow.
Kind regards from Munich,
Alexander, General Manager

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is ok, the rooms are big, in the international standard, just the hotel is a little bit old and will be good to renovate it.

I a had a good price (104 €) for a room for 2 people for one night.

So on this price, till 150 € it's a good choice to discover Munich.

The hotel is not far from the full city center.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerome A
SheratonWestpark, Manager at Sheraton Munchen Westpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

ear Jerome A.,
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your recent stay at the Sheraton Munich Westpark, and furthermore for your review. On this behalf, I wanted to let you know that our lobby area is facing a renovation just as of next week, so in case you come and visit us again you will be able to enjoy a drink in the new lobby bar as of end of May.
Best regards,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My brother and I stayed here for 3 nights during our trip to Germany. We arrived several hours before check-in, but I emailed in advance that we'd be doing so and they were able to accommodate us early. We really appreciated that after a long 10 hour flight. We elected to stay in an upgraded room with in-room internet included. The internet was nice and fast. The room was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was also clean and modern. Water pressure in the shower was great. One slightly annoying thing is that the bathroom fan runs constantly - we couldn't find any switches to turn it off, but we just made sure to keep the bathroom door closed and it didn't affect the night's sleep. The staff is friendly.
The location of the hotel is great. It is less than a minute's walk to the S-Bahn and the U-bahn is right in front of the hotel.

I can't comment on the breakfast except that we didn't try it - I can't justify 22 euros for breakfast. Ever. We walked 5 minutes to the local supermarket and got some croissants, milk, and other snacks to keep in the room. There is also a bakery across the street, but we didn't make it there.

The lobby has a nice business center with computers and a printer. I spent some time one morning down there reading since I woke up earlier. I would have appreciated some complimentary tea like many other hotels seem to offer in the lobby. It's 2.50 Euro if you want coffee or tea in the lobby.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay there. It's a great location - out of the main bustle of Munich, but very easy access to public transport and a quick 10 minute ride to Marienplatz. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Stephanie S

Dear “babygeige”,
Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your wonderful Sheraton Munich Westpark experiences with the TripAdvisor users. I am more than pleased to read, that you enjoyed your trip to Munich and was happy to share this review with my staff. In case you manage to visit us again I wanted to let you know about our alternative breakfast offers. For breakfast you can choose between the full american breakfast buffet (22.00 € per person), a continental option (13.50 € per person) and a la Carté items (price depends on your order). I am sorry if you were not informed about the choices available.
Greetings from Munich,

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I travelled in Munich for the Easter holidays and chose Sheraton because It had a good price and good comments and finally it was more than I expected. The staff of the hotel very polite and helpful, rooms were very clean with a modern decoration and breakfast was excellent. The main advantage of the hotel is the location, metro station is just outside, two stations from the centre of the town. The only negative was that there was no free wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby. I think that only in superior rooms you have that possibility, but for us that was not a problem. I would recommend Sheraton west gate as a very good choice , value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
SheratonWestpark, Manager at Sheraton Munchen Westpark Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear “anastasias22”,
Thank you very much for your recent visit and for sharing your wonderful experiences at the Sheraton Munich Westpark with the TripAdvisor-Community. I am pleased to hear and share, that our team managed to exceed your expectations.
Literally being located right above the metro station is of great advantage to our guests, as within a five to ten minute journey they will reach the city center of Munich.
At the Sheraton Westpark the internet is included in premium room types, like Clubrooms, Executive rooms and our Suites. Additionally we offer the Link@Sheraton Area next to reception with free internet access for our guests 24/7. There you can use your laptop with wireless connection or our computer terminals.
We are hoping to welcome you back soon to Munich and the Sheraton Munich Westpark.
Best regards,
Heinrich Dominici, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We booked a room over the Easter weekend with a promotional deal from the Sheraton website. Unfortunately, rather than getting the expected Sheraton experience with a convenient discount, it is clear that such customers are put in less than desirable rooms instead. I feel the experience was not worthy of the 4 stars as was advertised. A 3 star hotel at the most.

The room in which we stayed and the floor on which it was located had numerous faults:

- Room corridor on the first floor had two broken lights. This is so easy to fix and gives a terrible first impression to paying customers.
- The furniture in the room had deep scratches and damage; and it appeared that there had been no attempt to fix the problem.
-The ceiling in the room had a patch where painting was incomplete. Very shoddy.
- Room was not well cleaned with dusty surfaces.

The breakfast buffet was expensive (22 euros) for a rather average hotel buffet breakfast experience, while not bad, it was not worthy of such a hefty price tag.

There is no free internet in the rooms - in this day and age this is very unusual. The staff were very pushy in trying to get us to sign up to various paid extras, including paying for the internet in the room.

Positives:

Decent Location next to the train station
Room decor is nice (apart from the furniture damage)
Electronically operated blinds were a nice touch
Quick check-in

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AshleyHolding

Dear „AshleyHolding“
thank you very much for your recent stay and for sharing your feedback with us and the TripAdvisor Community. It is with great disappointment for me to learn that we unfortunately clearly missed to highlight you and you overall felt unwelcomed and not treated appropriately. Please rest assured that I already addressed your concerns with the respective department heads, since it is the goal of our team that our guests feel as comfortable and happy as possible. As we receive many positive comments regarding the friendliness of our staff, I would very much appreciate if you could contact me directly with some additional information. Kindly allow me also to annotate shortly that we do indeed offer complimentary internet access in the Link@Sheraton, as well, as in the Club Lounge.
Again, I regret that you were left with the impression of an inappropriate room assignment, as well as a lack of care and attention. Please accept my most sincere personal apologies.
Should you however change your mind and visit us in the future again I would be more than happy to assist with your booking arrangements.
Yours sincerely,