“Epitome of German hospitality”
Review of Hotel Brack

Hotel Brack
Ranked #52 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Houston, Texas
“Epitome of German hospitality”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I normally stay in international hotel chains when traveling on business but decided to try Hotel Brack on the recommendation of a (local) colleague. I'm very glad that I did! The hotel is a 3-star hotel, but it does everything so well that I felt like I was on vacation instead of work.

The hotel has the antique quaint feel of a German family hotel, old-fashioned front desk with real clunky metal keys that you drop off with the receptionist when you leave - definitely not what I'm used to on my business trips. But everything in the hotel, although simple, is spotlessly clean and efficient, far better than most of the 4-star/5-star chains I've stayed in. The room had a double bed, was nice sized with a desk facing the window, a couple of chairs, and an armoire for hanging clothes. Big fluffy comforters on the bed and a radiator with its own temperature control so I never had to worry about freezing. I got a room on the 4th floor with a window that opened, facing a side street. Noise was not a problem and it was nice to be able to get fresh air into the room.

Bathroom was a bit small but more than adequate and spotlessly clean. They cleaned everything each day and it always felt as if they had completely sanitized the place. Very impressive. The tub was interesting, I'd never seen one like it . Getting in and out was a bit tricky, but the nice part was that I never had to worry about the floor getting wet like in other hotels with regular, low, tubs. As you may have seen from my other posts, I do tend to rate hotels by the cleanliness and appearance of their bathrooms; I give this one top marks because of how clean and shiny everything was.

Two things really made this hotel stand out: the breakfast and the staff. My room rate came with breakfast, which was a full-service affair downstairs. The food is what I assume a traditional German breakfast is: assortment of fresh breads, cheese/jam/nutella/etc, fresh yoghurt, fruit, cold cuts, cereal, coffee/tea, and eggs made to your choice. The owner of the hotel and her helpers greeted me every morning as I walked in and remembered my preferences from the previous day - I can't remember the last time this happened on a business trip! On my second day when they ran out of the yoghurt flavor that I liked they even offered to go get some (I assume they might have had to run to the corner store). There were about 10 tables in the breakfast room, but at peak breakfast time (7am-8am) it sometimes got busy and they asked if I minded sharing my table with another guest (not a problem at all). Most of the guests are German (or German speaking) and a mixture of business people and tourists, so I felt like I was on vacation at a bed & breakfast every time I came down for breakfast; too bad I had to go to work afterwards...

The staff - from the front desk, the cleaning crew, the manager, to the proprietor, were very friendly and helpful. Always tried to make sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed. They gave the hotel a "personal" and welcoming feel. Everyone spoke English. By the end of my stay I felt like I had been staying at cozy friend's place. I've never had as many hotel personnel wish me a safe trip home when I left for the airport!

The hotel is right next door to the Poccisstrasse U-Bahn station (U-3 and U-6 lines), 5 minutes to Marienplatz or Hauptbahnhoff. Lots of restaurants in the surrounding area all within walking distance. Ample parking in front of the building. Free loaner umbrellas, honor system, next to the lobby in case you need to go out in the rain.

In summary:
5. Free internet
6. Clean, clean, clean!

MINUSES:
None
(OK, maybe the fact that there was no iron/ironing board in the room, but I guess I could have asked for one at the front desk if I had needed one)

When my colleague recommended this hotel I checked it out on TripAdvisor but couldn't find any guest-submitted photos so I was a bit apprehensive about what to expect. I'm glad I stayed here and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Top floors facing the side street: you get the benefit of being able to open the windows for fresh a...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank houstonturtle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Cumbria
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Recently stayed 3 nights in this hotel.Found all the staff to be most friendly and helpful.Our room was very clean comfortable the only negative being a very tiny bathroom.The hotel is on a main road into town and our room faced a side street.With the windows closed there was very little noise but open was quite noisy at times.This could be a problem when the weather is hot as there is no airconditioning.
The included breakfast was excellent.There was already a buffet set out on each table and extra dishes were brought to you, no self service here which was great.You could have virtually anything you wanted in the way of a cooked breakfast and an excellent fruit salad. Being English we are great tea drinkers and I can recommend this hotel for making an excellent pot of tea, something that is very difficult to find on the continent.
The underground station[2 stops into town centre] is immediately outside the hotel and tickets can be bought at reception, saves fighting with the machines. The Theresienwiese, home of the Oktoberfest and other events is a 5minute walk away. We also found a very good place to eat called the Lindwurmstuberl just a 5 min walk up the road or one stop on the underground.Very popular with the locals, good food and beer at much cheaper prices than in the centre of town.
Like most of the accomodation in Munich the room rate is not cheap but I would certainly recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turkiye
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Room is perfectly clean but a little bit old. Wifi and parking are free, the breakfast is nice.

Room Tip: Be good to the staff :)
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eren78
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed at Hotel Brack for one night very recently. The hotel is older and not flashy but it is spotlessly clean. It offers free wifi, a priced commodity in new/chain hotels. My room was very bright with 2 windows that opened (another endangered species), furnished with the basics, but with a comfortable mattress. While there is no coffee pot in the room, upon my return from a full day, i found a thermos with hot water for tea on my night stand. Very thoughtful!
The breakfast is plentiful and the welcoming and accommodating attitude of the staff makes it the richest possible.
Even though the hotel is not on the center of Munich, it is very close and the public transport makes everything very easy.
This hotel is reasonably priced, with a very helpful staff. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 15 January 2012

We spent one night at this hotel on our way back to the UK after visiting Austria. We had a hire car with us and needed free parking so this hotel was a good option for us. We were able to park right outside on the actual forecourt of the hotel. Check-in was very efficient and we found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The Underground station is right outside, just steps away, and you can purchase tickets from Reception. No need to worry about its location in relation to the main sights; all are within easy reach via the Underground. The room was spotlessly clean and looked newly renovated. Good size bathroom and although there were 3 in our party, the bedroom was adequate size. We asked for a high floor away from the elevators, with a pleasant view and all our requests were granted. The room had a flat screen TV and the beds were comfortable, although another pillow would have been appreciated as they were a bit flat. As with most European hotels, there were no brewing facilities so we expected this. The area around the hotel is very pleasant. There is a lovely restaurant/bar just across the road which is very handy for dinner or a nightcap. It is within walking distance of the venue for Oktoberfest and the Bavaria statue, particuarly when lit up in the evening, is well worth a visit. There are several good restaurants within walking distance, as well as a good array of food/grocery type stores if required. The free breakfast was amazing. Table service with as much as you could eat and very pleasant staff to serve you. Eggs, bacon etc cooked to order and the fresh fruit salad was gorgeous. We were very pleased with our hotel choice. Free parking, free breakfast, free wifi in room, helpful staff, excellent location close to Underground Station. Everything we wanted! Would definitely recommend. Munich is a fabulous city and our only regret is that we didn't have longer to spend there. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as there is some traffic noise from the street outside
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Annette C
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. We were visiting select cities in Germany and decided to stay at Hotel Brack. The location was terrific-public transportation out the front door. All the staff were helpful with advice traveling around Munich, and we find it incredible that they each spoke several languages easily. The room was large, and the bathroom was the best of all hotels we stayed in during our 8 day visit in Germany. We visited shortly after Oktoberfest so there were fewer people in the city. Most of all, the breakfasts were plentiful with cheeses, variety of cereals, fruits, breads, etc. Nice warm atmosphere. We will definitely stay here again when traveling to Munich. Taxi service on a Sunday also was on time, thanks to the staff. Only 10 minutes to the trainstation. Again, very efficient. We rate this place an A+.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and the view faced the front street. Very nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oldinnorthcarolina
Canberra
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This hotel was a great find, well located for Oktoberfest, close to the station and an easy 15 minute walk to the centre of town. The rooms were a good size and very clean, only complaint being it was very hot in the room at night and if you opened the window the traffic noise was too loud. The staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough. Breakfast service was also good. Would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends