“Not what I was expecting”

Ibis Muenchen City Nord
Ranked #113 of 387 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I had booked this hotel for a trip to Oktoberfest, and due to my poor planning I booked late. So all the hotels near the Oktoberfest were already booked or very expensive. This one still seemed pretty pricey for being so far from the city center, but it was next to the Ubahn so I figured why not. The first night we got there, I met some friends at the bar for some drinks. The bar was full of drunk people coming from the Oktoberfest who were being loud and obnoxious. Not a problem for me. Several glasses were broken by the different groups while we were there. I mention this because of what happened next. There were three of us at the bar, and we were just enjoying our first German beers. Two other Germans came over to talk to us as they heard our English and were shared several more beers. the other groups were becoming more roudy and soon the manager came out and started yelling to keep our voices down. Unfortunately it was not directed at the two groups who were sometimes signing and had at this point broken several glasses. We were the target of the manager. He came over to us and said that the other guests were complaining about the noise. Keep in mind that we had our room on the 1st floor right above the bar. My wife was up there reading. So we told the manager sorry, and continued on talking although we felt that we were whispering. Soon enough he came back over and yelled some more, so we decided to call it a night and go outside for a smoke. No drinks, just a smoke and then a good bye to our friends who stayed at another hotel. Soon enough the manager came over and started screaming at one of my friends for being too loud. Even though he wasn't even talking, he was over to the side smoking (the reason we went outside to begin with, since he was the only smoker). The manager said he called the police on him. So I asked the manager why he called and why he was singling out him, when the people inside were being very loud. He basically said the police were on their way and we should leave. So my friend left, and once we got back inside the manager said he was sorry, but our friend was too loud. He's a very quiet guy, and I am not so not sure why he was being targeted. So that was a bad start to our stay.

So the room itself was pretty small with two twin beds placed next to each other to make a bigger bed. Typical in Europe. However the floor was pretty slick, so if I rolled over into the crack the beds split apart. Essentially my wife and I slept in two different beds. Usually when hotels combine the beds, they put queen sheets over it to keep the beds together. The beds also didn't have a top sheet, just a bottom sheet and a comforter on top that was too small for the bed.

Breakfast was good. Plenty of selection, but at 10 Euros we opted for snacks at the pasty shop next door where service was much more pleasant. At least they didn't threaten to call the police on us.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 September 2012

I again stayed at the iBis Hotel Muenchen City Nord, for 4 nights (20-24th September) so as to visit the Oktoberfest which runs ever year around this time.
Again the Hotel for me is brilliant, the staff remember you and are always very friendly and helpful.
The Rooms, breakfast restaurant and bar areas are very clean and tidy as one would expect from this Hotel group.
They even set the Hotel out for the Oktoberfest with a new Carpet and the Bavarian Flags in the foyer, and the staff put on their lederhose (lethertrousers) (See Photo) and also the female staff dress up in traditional clothing, all looking very nice.
I will again stay there next year for the Oktoberfest, but also when I visit Munich in the meantime.
As the Transport system to the city is great with the metro some 2 minutes away, and the Airport Bus (Lufthansa) across the road. what more could be better!
Capt.Harry

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank CaptHarry1
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The location of this hotel is the biggest advantage. But the room rent is very high. Also I was surprised to see that for two days, no one bothered to clean the room or even arrange the bed properly. I never had such experience before in any Accor Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Vijay63
Reviewed 31 August 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MS-Q8
Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a night, the night before moving into my own place in Munich,

First impressions were of scaffolding! However the hotel's website warned me of this so no marks deducted here,

Underground parking was €8 which is a euro cheaper than the other Ibis I'd stayed in the previous night!

The room had recently been refurbished and was to usual Ibis standards. Wifi was extra in the room but the deal included breakfast also so I opted for the package. The bathroom was spotless and all fixtures worked. Still slightly reserved on that substance they call soap, however I cannot single out one particular Ibis hotel for this!

Breakfast was very good and tasty, and the breakfast room was spacious, in contrast to the other Ibis in Schwabing Nord just up the road, of which I have written another review.

Check out time was midday and I was on the way to my own place!

I can't comment on the price here as someone else paid for me,

Overall a very pleasant hotel and whilst I will not (need to) stay here again whilst I am living in Munich, I would certainly recommend it to anyone passing through.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank robbo1000
Reviewed 19 June 2012

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex0177
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The price was reasonable. Not very clean. In 6 days they never changed the blankets. Very convenniant if you are visitng the MOC. Only 4 stations away. The metro is just 100m away. Only 10min from downtown.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business