“Charming hotel close to city center”

Hotel Splendid-Dollmann
Ranked #64 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Heraklion, Greece
“Charming hotel close to city center”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

On our honeymoon in Munich for 6 days, we booked a room at the Splendid. The first reason was its location, 100m from Maximilian strasse, which connects the Bavarian Parliament to the center of the city, a very posh street with exclusive shops (unless you can pay 500€ for a purse, don't go shopping there). Although we had mentioned twice that we were honeymooners, we did see any gesture from the hotel side about it, nor did they reply to my email regarding this!
Anyhow, the hotel is 10minutes away from the city center. It's staff is very friendly and try to do their best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We especially liked the pleasant attitude of Mathias, if I remember his name correctly, who was always super friendly.
If only they (staff), were a bit more knowledgable as to more details about what is going on in the city, they would make it to the top reception team in Munich! I would expect that they would know that on New Year's Eve, there are fireworks all around the city, even on the hotels front door! But that does not ruin the general impression of the service.
The breakfast was very good, with fresh fruit every day, and extra care from the lady serving there.
We did find it a bit pricey though, so on a couple of days, had to refrain from it, walking into the city and trying out various alternatives.
Bed mattresses were too soft for me btw, so that I needed an extra stretch in the mornings.
TV channels could include some non German ones.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe rooms, they are worth the extra €, giving more space and better view. Try the bre...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed in this hotel in the lehel region in Munich in May. The service is excellent. The manager gave me directions for a laundramat in the city & helped me with directions in the city. This hotel is within walking distance of the residenz palace. Its lounge & dining areas are elegantly decorated & my bedroom is also decorated beautifully!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Koping, Sweden
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My short stay at this nice and cosy hotel was very pleasant. I had requested for an early check-in and got it immediately on my arrival. Friendly and smiling service both at front office and in dining room. Initially they gave me a smoking room but was given a non-smoking one without a big fuss. If I ignore the very firm bed, my room was quite elegant with antique looking furniture and furnishings. Bathroom was quite compact (and that's an understatement) but quite functional. Neither AC nor ventilation was working; opening a window was also not an option (due to street noise--I was only on second floor). I hope they sort it out soon.
Breakfast was superb! Not a lot of choice but whatever was served was very good quality and elegantly laid out in a cosy atmosphere. Weather didn't permit otherwise terrace seemed quite inviting.
The facade renovation cover killed the view out of my room. Masons working on scaffolding in front of my window was not conducive for privacy in my room either.
The central location is another very good point--50 m from underground subway and a couple of hundred meter away from main shopping downtown. It took me about 45 minutes from Munich airport to reach this hotel through public transport.
I look forward to staying there again!

Room Tip: Stay away from the reading lamp on the bed--I burnt my hand by simply touching it to turn the other...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sanjay V
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and what a great start as I arrived early and was told that the previous occupant had checked out and by the time I had breakfast the room would be ready. No hardship what with the small breakfast room full of fresh fruits, meats and bakery items. Half way through my breakfast the room key was brought to me and my luggage had already been placed in the room – German efficiency at its best.
Boutique hotel is the way to describe the place with great lounge area for reading and drinking coffee while you plan your day ahead. Rooms are a bit small but facilities good and nice beds with those special German comforters. Another reason to know you are in a boutique hotel is when they give you a proper key and not a piece of plastic card and normal hangers rather than the ones that are impossible to take off.
The hotel is ideally located for two reasons; one its 10 minutes walk from the English Barden so perfect to go and walk off the flight or car journey in this amazing green landscape. Two is 10 minutes in the other direction to the city centre shopping, bars, etc so no need for a car or taxi.
Overall a great hotel and would definitely come back again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon G
Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a few days before being joined by her parents. We had an upgraded Deluxe room and they had a standard double. Our room was much larger with a few nicer touches as well. Their room was still very nice and with enough space, but definitely much more cramped.

The service was great and the front desk staff helped us out numerous times.

The location was near numerous tram and train stations which made getting out and about to tour very easily. Numerous nice cafe's in the area as well which also made it easy to grab a coffee or croissant when we needed.

We did notice some tram noise from the train that runs outside but it was never an issue for us for sleeping. We could hear voices lightly through the walls from the parents, but it wasn't disturbing at any point.

Overall we really enjoyed the hotel and this was one of the ones we talked about loving to have an opportunity to go back and visit.

Room Tip: Upgrade for the Deluxe room!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sdhotwn
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and found it close to walk to the main city centre or the u-Bahn just 50 metres away, or the tram went right past. The windows were double glazed so we never heard them. The down was that there were no tea/coffee facilities in the room and no fridge/mini bar. The staff were friendly but could have mentioned the available amenities on check-in such as if we wanted tea or coffee they would be able to make it for you at a charge to your room of course. A positive was the parking pass for only €2.50 per day.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen R
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This was my second trip to Munich and we again stayed at the Hotel Splendid-Dollmann. We were very happy to find that the hotel is still a great place to stay. We did not want to stay in one of the cookie cutter chain hotels in Germany. We were looking for a hotel with local flavor and we are very satisfied with this hotel. The hotel is conveniently located close to Old City sites and public transportation. There are some nice pastry shops and a San Francisco Coffee within a block or two of the hotel. Our room (#207) was spacious, clean and comfortable. Bathrooms are small but very stylish and functional. We found the staff to be exceptionally helpful in making reservations and providing directions. Staff is very fluent in English and we had no communication issues. Mattias was especially helpful when we checked in and throughout our stay. One drawback is the free internet service. The connection was very inconsistent and we ended up not using it. Also, it was not easy getting internet service on the laptop in the lobby. There are several german language newspapers available to read in the lobby but it would be nice if they had an english language newspaper. All in all a quiet, comfortable hotel and we look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple