“very nice!”

Ranked #12 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Manchester, United Kingdom
“very nice!”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

first i will start with the negative - there were no tea making facilities (but i there was no tea making facilities in ANY of the EU hotels i visited, so no big worry) and it wasn't made clear too me that BREAKFAST WAS AN ADDITION, so i ended up spending money were i didn't have too.

on the positive - really helpful staff who all spoke very good english, the rooms were nice and clean and regularly tidied during our stay, a good and enjoyable little bar, walking distance from many of munichs tourist sites and the rooms were a good size with a comfortable bed and chairs.
Oh! and to make up for no tea, after the daily tidy we were very kindly left bottles of water and sweeties

Room Tip: although we had no problems with the free wifi - i did hear other customers complain about their sig...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank gailblitzy222

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Turkish first
Santos, SP
Reviewed 5 October 2011

First I had made my reservation at the Bayerischer Hof but after reading the reviews here I decided to give a chance to this hotel, so I've changed my reservation and we spent 2 nights at the Torbrau.

We had a Deluxe Double room with sufficient space for all our stuff and a nice size bathroom. The only issue was the bed, it was not a king size bed but two single beds together, consequently two single matresses too. I think the rates are a little bit over the average for this hotel category if compared to other hotels I have been in Europe but hey, this is Germany, with high life cost, so....

They offer complimentary breakfast, wi-fi in the rooms and even the minibar is free, a very nice touch!! Breakfast at the hotel is not great but good enough for a hotel of that category (4 stars) and all the staff is very kind and helpful. With all that said, Torbrau served more than enough for my needs, as I haven't spent much time inside the hotel.

The hotel location couldn't be better, near the restaurants, shops, the Marienplatz, the Deutsches Museum and the Residenz. We were walking distance to almost everything we wanted to see in Munich. I just rented a car to visit the Neuschwanstein Castle, which lies about 120 km from Munich, on the Germany's border with Austria, at the Alps. This is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, with high mountains with their snowy peaks and amazing lakes at the foothill of the Alps, really stunning!!!

I highly recommend this hotel if you don't care about luxury but care about location, you're going to love your stay with what this hotel can offer you...But if you are in Munich to stay in luxury, go to the Mandarin Oriental, the Bayerischer Hof or the Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RodolphoBorges
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our July 14-18 stay at this hotel. The service was wonderful (the desk staff were very helpful), as was the daily breakfast which was included in our rate (champagne and fresh orange juice is a great way to start the day)! The rooms were very comfortable, and while some people may not like the individual duvets, we did. This hotel is in easy walking distance to the train station and most of the area attractions, as well as lots of restaurants. We highly recommend this hotel for a stay in Munich.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 September 2011

The location is among the best. Just steps from the Isator Sbahn stop and easy walking distance to the center of the Altstadt.
I stayed there during Oktoberfest recently. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful and my room was huge by European standards. Although in a historic building, it had all the modern amenities and was spotless. It even had air conditioning! A high quality breakfast was included in the room price which was icing on the cake, as we say in the USA.
This is definitely my new hotel when traveling to Munich. Would be great for either business trips or a family vacation.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Ireland
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Arriving in Munich a day early for a business meeting I sought a hotel which was 4 star, central, away from the train station, and with a bar and free WIFI (can't understand how hotels still get away with charging for it) - Torbrau seemed to tick all the boxes.

At €135 for a single room for the night it was relatively expensive but based on the review on this site and others I splashed the cash. I could have had a double room for €20 more but decided a single would do for one night.

The hotel itself is in a great spot - 5 minutes from Marienplatz and litterally across the street from the Isotor train station. I arrived early and was allowed check in at around 11.30. Good start.

The room however was a huge disapoointment, IT was barely wide enough to stretch my arms out. The "bed" was like that in a cell - not a bed as much as something like a hostel or a cell - a matress on a built in slab. Hugely uncomfortable.

The window overlooked a fire escape and a yard and although probably quieter than the street added to the "half way house" feel of the place.

The bathroom was ok but I was given one small towel for myself - I've seen better in IBIS hotels. The shower is tiny - if your BMI is north of 25 you'll struggle :-)

Each time I left the hotel I left my huge key into reception - however each time I came back I got the feeling they were being put out retrieving it for me - if you don't like this lads then join the 21st century and get card entry.

Tried the bar that night - Slovakian bar man a credit to the place - but apart from that nothing great but then again you're in munich - bars ain't hard to find.

Sleep was terrible. The bed not near wide enough or comfortable enough Really ruined it.

Breakfast was described as "amazing" is most reviews I read - it was standard continental - if bread rolls, cold ham and fruit salads are your thing you'll love it. They did have international press which was good.

Check out came with a grunt and barely a thank you.

Go for the location - really really good.

Book a Double room or don't bother - sleep in the train sstation would be more comfortable.

Bring a bag or some sort so that you can carry your key and stay clear of the reception staff.

Have your nightcap in the Hofbrauhaus!

Room Tip: Avoid avoid avoid the single rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Meathman
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I would recommend this hotel on the basis of its location and friendly reception staff. I requested a quiet room and was in fact allocated a quiet room, which in my experience rarely happens and is certainly not guaranteed in a city centre. The location is very central and adjacent to a city centre S-Bahn stop. Although it claims to be Munich’s oldest hotel, do not expect much in the way of character.

Good :
• Friendly , helpful staff , under Andreas.
• Quiet , functional room
• Free Wi-fi

Could be improved :
• Would have liked a bath , especially after hot days trudging / cycling round the city. Don’t know if other rooms have them, but we had unpacked when we realised so didn’t bother to ask.
• Breakfast : is typically German and high quality, but not international. So seemed rather limited after a few days.
• Room was a bit small – but City Centre so …

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank AdrianH_9
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Very nice hotel, on the edge of the city centre. Right across the exit of the S-Bahn, and a short walk to Marienplatz and all other highlights. We loved the breakfast on the balcony.
Nice clean room with a great bed. Free Wifi. Very helpfull and friendly staff.

Tip: go to Mikes Bike Tours (nearby), rent a bike and cycle around the city. Great way to see the parks!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple