“Classy, comfortable, and clean.”
Review of Hotel Torbraeu

Hotel Torbraeu
Ranked #12 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Toronto, Canada
“Classy, comfortable, and clean.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Andreas welcomed us to the hotel graciously and efficiently. Before we knew it, we were settled in and wandering off to a biergarten for our first time! The hotel is incredibly central and the view of the Isartor Gate a special experience.

Rooms are spacious, quiet, and clean. A/C helpful as it was hot in the day - windows opened at night to let in the cool breeze. Breakfast was outstanding - servers cheerful and friendly - balcony comfortable and coffee strong.

The staff also guided us to a more private biergarten for another night - not at all touristy and a lot of fun.

Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: Suggest a high floor on the side - the main street is busy in general and also ++ construction. We...
1 Thank seamusandandy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had 3 rooms and 6 people. Andreas and Jacqueline at the front desk were so helpful: keeping track of us and our keys, helping with transportation and just being super friendly. The breakfast buffet was enough to fill our American youth (20-somethings) and the breakfast staff were also super friendly and helpful with travel tips. The location can't be beat- just down the street from Marienplatz and overlooking the Isator (built in 1357- what?! so cool). We found the cut-through to the Hofbrau House too! Just steps away! Great rooms, great location, great breakfast, great staff. PS great air conditioning!

2 Thank ElleInATL
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed at Hotel Torbrau in early August 2013 -- was greatly impressed by the service and attentiveness of the staff and charmed by the ambiance of the building and its history. I had a room on the top floor with a view of the Isartor gate -- very nice! The room was a single and quite spacious and I felt very comfortable. The proximity of the hotel to the center of Munich is one of its great benefits, and yet I did not experience any noise or disturbance being so close to the busy areas. My sleep was restful and awaking to an excellent and abundant breakfast buffet was a treat each day! The staff were extremely helpful in pointing out directions and offering suggestions for sights to see and options for great dining experiences. I was impressed by the kind and friendly greeting I received from the front the desk every morning I left the hotel and upon my return in the evening. The ease of getting to the hotel from the airport is also a benefit of staying at the Torbrau -- right across the street from the Isartor stop on the S-Bahn! I will return to the Torbrau on future trips to Munich -- the terrific team of hotel staff are truly a fine example of German hospitality and care! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I can only think of three positive things about Hotel Torbrau. Will I stay there again for these three reasons. The answer is no, because there are many choices at the a similar price.
The three good things about the hotel:
1) Good air-conditioning.
2) Andreas, the gentleman working at the frontdesk, is very helpful. He is one of the people at the hotel who understands and speaks English very well. He always greets people in a cheerful manner and offers to help.
3) Excellent location of the hotel, as what many fellow TAs have pointed out. Can travel to the hotel without any change of train by means of the subway line S8. You could use S1 too but this one takes a bit longer.

What really, really bothers me throughout my 6-night stay:
- I was in Room 409 and I could hear VERY clearly the man and the woman next door and, of course, I was hearing very "embarrassing" sounds! I was sitting in bed reading my guidebook and could hear them AND feel them banging against the wall that we shared! I was not happy reading my guidebook while experiencing their movements at the same time. It was very disturbing. Often we could hear the people next door opening, closing their doors and then starting to talk. The sound insulation is extremely poor.
- You will not like the pillows if you are used to sleeping on pillows that provide neck support. Bring your usual travel pillow if you have to stay at this hotel.
- Wish that the shower pressure could be stronger so that I wouldn't have to take that long to finish my shower.

What matters to me during my travel is a good night's sleep because we do so many things during the day. Considering the bad sound insulation, I would research again and try another hotel the next time I visit Munich.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TAalice
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

There are few hotels with the Torbrau’s pedigree anywhere. It’s had a long time to learn its craft and has taken full advantage of the opportunity. The location is brilliant, within easy walking distance of everything of interest in downtown Munich, yet a short taxi ride from most major business districts. This makes is perfect for a visit that combines business with exploring a wonderful city. While small by North American standards, the rooms are quite sufficiently sized – the bathroom facilities are outstanding by any criteria. Our room was outfitted with a soaker tub and stand-alone shower. The service was excellent. One quibble, we would have preferred to have an iron and ironing board available in the room, rather than having to request it from the front desk, however, this is typically in most European hotels, even at the high end.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tomnpatti
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed here in August 2012 as a family of 4 with 2 young kids. The hotel is small but clean (tough getting us all to fit in the small elevator). The hotel is very centrally located for the sights and restaurants. Although it was a little expensive, the room was clean and decent sized, service was more than adequate. The breakfast was the best we had on our two week trip through Germany and Italy. Would definitely recommend.

1 Thank CJPJ
Washington, Dc/Moscow,Russia
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This hotel is nothing out of the ordinary for Munich; it's slick, it's neat, it has an efficient staff on call at all hours of the day. The rooms are spacious and will be reorganized to accommodate your needs - we were 3 people in a 2-person room, and they still managed to fit a cot in. Check-in is fast and polished. Nothing breaks. Everything is cleaned to a shine. Breakfast is extensive and delectable, with everything to suit any palette. That is not to mention that the breakfast room faces Tal, one of the main drags of Munich, rendering the hotel in the smack center of the relatively small city. Is this outstanding? No. All hotels in Munich are like this. But that is only because you're in a domain of expected (and delivered) perfection. Little to say because there is little to critique. Good job!

Room Tip: Ask for first floor rooms, they seem to be a bit more spacious.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family