“Slow service at reception and overpriced”

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen
Ranked #18 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 17 June 2011

I waited in line just before midnight after a tiring day for 20 minutes to get my room, with only three other people in front of me. They gave me a smoking room without asking about my preferences, and, on realising this on my way up to the room in the lift, had to return all the way back to reception to get this changed. They took ages getting another room for me. This is a pricey hotel for people who expect to be pampered. There's far better value for money elsewhere in the city.

Room Tip: Make sure you state your preferences upfront
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank levado656
WebVierjahreszeiten, Verkaufsleiter at Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Dear “levado”

We thank you for sharing your feedback.

We have taken not of your comment and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the unpleasant experience upon your arrival. It’s certainly not acceptable that we didn’t ask you for your room preference as it is a standard at our property to ask each guest what they prefer.

We do hope you will allow us the occasion to restore your confidence in our hotel.

Kind regards
The Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,883)

Reviewed 27 May 2011

Spent 3 nights at this hotel in one of their top suites at a cost of 1100 euros a night and it definitely was not worth the money. The suite , although spacious , was in desperate need of renovation. The carpets were worn out and very dirty , the bed was basic and not anywhere near the quality you expect at this class of hotel. The television shows the age of the room as it was a small old style tv ( not LCD!) the like of which I havn't seen in a hotel room for years.
The biggest disappointment of the hotel was the spa. Having paid a lot of money for a relaxing treatment , five minutes into the treatment I was treated to a constant loud drilling noise through the rest of the treatment , which adds a new dimension to relaxation! The therapist didn't mention the noise and when I asked her about it she told me there was work taking place on the floor below and that it was work that needed to be done !!! I pointed out that I should have been informed of the noise problem when I booked the treatment and given a choice as to whether I went ahead with it .
The above problems were pointed out to a guest relations manager who promised to do something about the problems we experienced but that did not materialise and did not hear from him again.
On a positive note most of the staff where pleasant and helpful but there are several flies in the ointment. The concierge was less than knowledgeable and sent us to a bad restaurant in a questionable neighborhood . The breakfast staff where generally pleasant with the exception of one extremely rude and unpleasant waiter which a guest should never have to experience at this class of hotel.
Overall our stay was not enjoyable and I would question whether the kempinsky brand would want to tar their name with this hotel .

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Hermia01

Dear “Hermia01”,

We would like to personally thank you for your review and your comments. We understand your disappointment with our product and the service provided to you, and would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. We appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, even if it is of a critical nature, as this is the only way we can truly assess our guests’ needs, and continuously improve the luxury service we aim to provide.

We deeply regret that you have had an unpleasant experience while staying at Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich.

We have taken note of your comments, and have discussed them internally with the result that we would like to offer you a complimentary 2 night stay in one of our suites as a form of compensation. We kindly ask you to contact our Hotel Manager Mrs. Dagmar Symes directly for further information at salesteam.vierjahreszeiten@kempisnki.com or telephone +49 89 2125 2600 referring to this review title.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich.

Yours sincerely,
The Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich Team

Reviewed 27 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel while on a business trip for a week in October 2010. I travel quite a bit for my work, and I must say that out of all the hotels I have stayed in, this is definitely one of the best hotels ever. The lobby area was beautiful and my room was top standard. The bathroom was a bit small, but it was clean and very nicely done. As we were here on business, it was hard to leave the hotel to get a meal, so we had to eat most of our meals at the hotel – and I must say the food was superb. Breakfast was almost the best; there was a wide selection of food and they even served champagne :) The staff was also very attentive and helpful. If I ever go back to Munich, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Swede_Traveller06
Reviewed 11 May 2011

which made us very happy with our stay at the Vier Jahreszeiten. The first night I slept not well because of street noise and a delivery truck below our window well before 7 am (on a Saturday morning). Staff at reception however were very apologetic and dealt wonderfully with this. We got transferred to an inner courtyard quiet room where a big plate of exotic fruit was waiting, and we received a glass of champagne in the very pleasant lobby. Although the bedroom was not big the beds & the bathroom were very comfortable. In all honesty: I would probably not want to pay the full price, but through a deal (lastminute.com) it is great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tedescha
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I stayed at this hotel during one of my business trips. The staff was extremely helpful and attending.

Pros: great location, helpful staff, very clean and well equipped, great breakfast, complementry internet (wifi in Lobby only, wired in room)

Cons: the most unconfortable bed i have ever slwpt in. Im 185cm tall and the duvet was just simply short. There is no iron/board in the rooms as standard. Small, cheap TVs in some rooms.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Zag123
WebVierjahreszeiten, Verkaufsleiter at Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2011

Dear guest,

We are sorry that our duvets which are actually 2meters long are too short for you. Please let us know upon your next stay that you need a longer one. Indeed there are no irons/boards in the rooms as a standard but they are available upon request. In the following months we are replacing all old TV with new flat screens.

Reviewed 30 April 2011

My friend & I checked into this 5 star hotel as a treat to ourselves to celebrate the final night of our 10 day stay in Munich, Austria & Czech Rep. The front entrance & lobby are very impressive and the reason we booked a room. Everything went steeply downhill from there. Our room was in the newer portion to the hotel which was added to double the size of the place for the Olympic games. You can sense the change in quality as you pass from the original structure to the newer addition. The hallways are narrower, room doors are closer together. Our room was huge letdown...small, cheaply finished, tiny bathroom, depressing view. This was our 5th room of the trip & we had paid half this price for much nicer rooms in Salzburg (Goldener Hirsch Hotel) and Prague (Maximilian Hotel).

Room Tip: Request room in original structure if u must
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mike S
WebVierjahreszeiten, Verkaufsleiter at Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Dear “familytraveler64”

Thank you for staying at Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten and taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We are sorry about your disappointment about your stay with.

We can assure you that all guest rooms are gradually being updated to meet the needs of discerning travelers from around the world. Unfortunately not all of the hotel’s 303 guest rooms can get a makeover at the same time – but we are doing our utmost to hurry up the process

Please accept our sincere apologies that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. We would hope that your experience on this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Munich.

Reviewed 25 April 2011

We stayed here for three days last week taking two rooms. One for my wife and I and the other for my two teenage sons. I normally write the positive aspects first but because the negative outweighed the positive I feel compelled to identify them first. Understand that the hotel is really two parts. The original hotel and the rooms added for the 1972 Munich Olympics. A portion of the original hotel on the facade side was redone and these rooms were larger. Unfortunately we were put in the 1972 rooms which were very small. Many of us are used to small European rooms and that is not my complaint. The rooms (both of them) were dirty and musty. The carpet did not appear to have been cleaned in decades. All four of us had trouble sleeping because of the dust. These rooms were not redone for (in my opinion) 25 years. The mattresses were as bad as any I slept on in college. They could not have been more than 4 inches thick and were just horrible. The plumbing in our room broke. I cannot overemphasize how bad the rooms were -- both of them. I would never stay in those rooms again. Enough said.

The positive -- great location and every one of the staff were excellent and could not have been more helpful. Concierge staff were wonderful. Make sure you get breakfast included with your room -- it is the least they can do. But breakfast was truly wonderful in all respects. Very large buffet with fresh fruit and hot entrees. The pool was great as were the steam and sauna -- all included. The lobby and public areas are very nice.

The staff understood how bad the rooms are. I am sure this will get a response from the hotel -- to the effect that they are working on the issue. They must move quicker because the rooms we slept in should not be offered to the public AT ALL. Much less in a 4 star hotel. I realize that most operations spend the money on the lobby and hold off on room renovations because -- they got you already. But please beware of the above -- particularly if you have any form of allergy.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank phil1ben

Dear “phil1ben”,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. All guest feedback allows us the opportunity to improve our services and facilities and we readily welcome both positive and constructive comment.

It is certainly not acceptable that your room wasn’t cleaned properly. We can only assure you that this is not our usual standard and that the cleanliness of the rooms as well of the whole hotel has a high priority to our team.

As you may have noticed renovations work to refurbish our rooms are in progress across the hotel so we are gradually refurbishing all our rooms and also the carpets in the hallways.