“At this price you can do better”

Golden Leaf Hotel Altmuenchen
Ranked #247 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Tel Aviv, Israel
“At this price you can do better”
Reviewed 6 December 2008

Its a bit out of the center but close to a bus stop.

The staff were really OK.

However the rooms on the front side of the Hotel are on a main road and quite noisy. Our room was on the front side and above a neon sign outside wchich advertizes the hotel and flashed all the time. Eventualy we got a room on the other side which was better.

The hotel advertized itself as providing Tea and Coffee gratis but don't count on it. The machine is on the entry floor, the cups are small, and it is a struggle to get a cup up into your room without spilling any. The cups get dirty and arn't replaced.

Stayed August 2007
Golden_Leaf_Hotels, Golden Leaf Hotels & Residences at Golden Leaf Hotel Altmuenchen, responded to this review, 7 January 2010
We are sorry for the inconvenience you had. Please be assured that we took your statement to improve our service.
The hotel is situated at the Mariahilfplatz near the river Isar and the German Museum.
We provide coffee, tea and fruits for free in the lobby.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
PERTH
Reviewed 24 September 2008

nice, clean room & bathroom. small. friendly service. 2 minute walk to train station. 20 minutes to city on train. hotel is in an area with no resturants or atmosphere, quite out of the way, but good none the less

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank SIGRIDLUKE
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2007

We stayed here in September for one night. We had a very comfortable room, even with complimentary mouthwash and deodorant in the bathroom, and a bag of sweets on the bed. Nice!

The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was a 10-15 minutes walk from the nearest u-bahn station and about a 30 minute stroll to centre of Munich, so it was slightly out of town. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Nigelhu
Reviewed 26 September 2005

I planned a trip to the Oktoberfest for myself and wife for September this year. It resulted in a group of 17 friends travelling with us. I decided to stay at this hotel as it was good value for money. After reading some negative reviews, I was a bit concerned. We found the negative remarks were totally unfounded. This hotel had everything you needed. The beds were the softest I have ever slept in. The complimentary breakfast was enough to keep you going all day. The service and hospitality were second to none. The Bus service was 50 meters from the front door, and very easy to understand. I will be staying here again. Great Hotel, Great stay.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 January 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Altmunchen for 3 nights in January 2005. We were a bit concerned after having read an adverse review on trip advisor. However, we really enjoyed our stay. While it's true that it's not close by a subway station, there's a bus stop 50 metres from the hotel and buses leave for the city centre every 6 minutes or so. Travel time to the city centre is 5 - 10 mins. The room was fairly small (we found that to be the case throughout our travels in Europe) but the bedroom and bathroom were clean and well appointed. Would recommend that you ask for a room not facing the main street as I imagine those rooms could get noisy. Our room faced the courtyard and we had no problem with traffic noise. There is a restaurant downstairs, we dined there one evening and really enjoyed the food. Noise from the restaurant was never a problem even though we were there over the weekend. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Room rate was 68 Euro and we thought that was good value. Breakfast was nice, but at 22 Euro for 2 people seemed quite expensive when seen against the room rate. Watch out for the cost of bottled water from the minibar - $A7 for 500ml. Overall not sure how the Altmunchen compares with other Munich hotels but we would definitely use it again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 September 2004

Where to start!!

The hotel does not have air conditioning, and is located on a very busy and noisy street, which does not really stop through the night, making getting a restful night of sleep difficult. The room themselves are well appointed. The TV only shows CNN in English, all the other channels are German exclusively.

I checked in on a Saturday. They were having a social gathering (big party) in the restaurant just below the rooms that same night. The music played (at disco levels) until 2 AM. There is no overnight staff at the front desk... so no one to complain to at 2 in the morning.

When I complained the day after, I was told that they advised us the night before and that they would not do anything. The "advisory" came in the form of a letter written in German only and a cheap bottle of wine as a compensation for a sleeplessness night. Half of the hotel customers where from outside Germany and therefore could not read the letter as well. Even if I could have read the letter, what were my options!

My room was pre-booked, and pre-paid. When I requested to leave one day early and provided advance notice, the manager denied and refused to credit me for the one day.

Other items:
•Breakfast is dismal, there where not enough of the good food (cold cuts, cheese, etc, but a lot of the cheap stuff; bread and jam) for all customers.
•Tables where set-up with clean plate dishes over the crumbs and coffee stains left from previous customers.
•The phone in my room could not dial international call, and I had to rely on my mobile phone and pay extra charges.
•The “central location” of the hotel as claimed on the web site is 1 to 1.5 km from the closest subway stations. Which is about as far as you can get from a subway station in big European cities.

The price/quality ration is just not proportionate. For the price I was charged (180 Euros/night), this is no where close to what I was expecting or should have received.

I travel extensively in Europe and around the world mostly for business but also for pleasure and I have never taken the time to comment about a positive or negative experience before this experience. I actually tend to be very tolerant about things! I am just taken back by this on.

This is by far the worst treatment I have ever received from a hotel, in terms of quality, and service.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Munich hotels

Reviewed 14 April 2004

Very clean. Polite and helpful staff. Nice beds, small-ish rooms.
Excellent small beirgarden attached serving great food and delightful breakfast. Not a luxury hotel but certainly a great value for good basic accomodations. Highly recommended.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member