“some fresh paints needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Marc Munchen

Marc Munchen
Ranked #8 of 382 Hotels in Munich
FVG
“some fresh paints needed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

if you look for easeful location this could be your place, two steps from the train station and near to the main shopping street. Breakfast is fantastic with a wide selection and great quality and no fuss for your special request..but..there's a but on the room. Mine was average but not of the quality I did expect especially for the outrageous price paid for the night. I noticed scratches everywhere and the walls in my room was in need of a refresh. You now the charming smell you find in some hotel when you open your room's door? well, none in this case. I'm not totally disappointed but definitely not a place I'll be back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
marcmuenchen, Leiter Front Office at Marc Munchen, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Bidibodi,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your impressions on our hotel marc munich****.
I am sorry to read your room did not meet your expectations. Please be informed we do repainting regularly so I am sure the room you stayed in will be on its turn soon. For making sure, I’d like to ask your room number please (info@hotel-marc.de).
It really doesn’t sound very comfortable entering the room the first time and not having a nice smell and I want to apologize to you. Unfortunately, at this time now and without knowledge of your room number, I cannot detect or explain how this came, I can only say how sorry I am and, if makes any better, assure you that this is not normal. We have room scent in every room, plus housekeeping is instructed to air check-out rooms properly of course.

I hope you will give us a chance to proof we can do better. We would be very happy to be able to welcome you back some time.

Veronika Fruth and the hotel marc munich**** team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Booked this at the last minute. Got a free room upgrade through TripAdvisor link.
Located a couple blocks from the main train station so very convenient to public transportation. Would agree with other reviews about the neighborhood but also did not feel like this was a big problem or that I was in any danger.
This definitely looked like the nicest hotel in the area. The main tourist attractions/city center/Marienplatz area could be reached on foot in about 15 min. Otherwise, the train station is so close that you could hop on the metro for 2 stops and be at Marienplatz in minutes.
Staff was extremely warm and professional. (Every single one of them!)
We got there early and they were able to get us checked in within 20 minutes - and did not make us feel like this was an imposition. The hotel looks like it has been renovated recently, with modern, comfortable decor.
The deluxe room was spacious with a true king size bed (not two separate mattresses pushed together, as is typical in Europe).
Bathroom was spacious, with a large rainshower. Extra touches like pillow spray and aromatherapy sticks were nice.
There is a kettle with teas and instant coffee in the room as well as a small refrigerator/minibar.

I was impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel. Attention to detail is obviously a priority here.

Street noise could be heard from the 3rd floor only when the windows were open but it was extremely quiet when they were closed.

The breakfast buffet was outstanding. Breads of all kinds, cereals, yogurts, fresh fruits, pancakes, waffles, ham and cheese toasties, boiled eggs, an egg/omelette station - cooked to order, cold meats, cheeses, smoked salmon, stuffed peppers, salads, cucumbers, tomatoes, bacon, sausages, a plethora of jams/jellies/preserves and 3 kinds of honey. Huge selection of gourmet teas along with a coffee machine that will make any kind of coffee or espresso - based drink. You get the picture.
Wifi was reliable throughout the hotel, including our 3rd floor room.
It may seem a little pricey compared to other hotels in the area but it is definitely worth it. I would not hesitate to stay there next time I am in Munich.

• Stayed May 2014
marcmuenchen, Leiter Front Office at Marc Munchen, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear RoboSurge,
Thank you very much for your detailed review on our hotel marc****.

Good that you mention the room-upgrade for TripAdvisor users! I read sometimes reviews where guests mention the room size as being a bit small even if they booked themselves our smallest room category. But with a free of charge upgrade in a Deluxe (25-26m²) or even Premium (28-30m²) room I think the size is fair enough.

We renovated our hotel marc**** completely and re-opened in August 2012, so yes it is quite new! To be honest we furnished most of our rooms with typical German double beds (two mattresses) but as there is a rising demand for King size beds we changed beds in some rooms recently. I am happy we were able to gratify you with a brand new kingsize bed and with our pillow spray for good nights sleep, too.

I am happy you enjoyed your stay in our house very much and had a great impression of our team and thank you very much again for staying with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Situated near the main train station (Hauptbahnhof), the Marc Muenchen hotel is too busy concerning itself with providing excellent service (and breakfasts!) to be bothered by the area around it. Ignore the youth hostels and the occasional boudoir shops sprinkled around the area, it IS by the train station, and just enjoy your visit to Munich. My sister and I never felt unsafe or even nervous in the area but then again, we didn't stay out late or explore much of the area around the train station.

The rooms were spacious, modern and thoughtfully planned. Every staff member we met was warm and professional. Most, if not all, went above and beyond what was required of them. The breakfast (included in the cost of the stay) puts most hotel breakfast fare to shame. The water station by the elevators in the lobby was a nice convenience. After having experienced bad service at another hotel in town, Marc Muenchen stood out even more to us. Some of the best service we have received in our two months of traveling. Great value for the cost. Would stay here again without a doubt!

Dear guests,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am happy we met all your expectations and beyond. Your praise for the service provided as well as the breakfast is a perfect motivation for all of us!

I am glad you and your sister did not feel unsafe in the Hauptbahnhof area and to be honest you do not have to, Munich is perfectly safe even in its (very few) “shabbier” parts. 5 minutes walking to the pedestrian and shopping area proofes for the good location of the house.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again!

All the best and kind regards

Chicagoland area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

The location is one block was the train station. Could not have been any better. The best part was the secure garage for our car. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was very good. The rooms were comfortable. The lobby bar is just ok, but with all the wonderful places to grab a beer, this was not an issue. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Delmov,
thank you very much for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay in Munich and our hotel marc****.
I think it is fine that you find our lobby “just ok”, thanks to the central location of our house you have many and more options to have a drink outside. And maybe a nightcap at the hotel's bar.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope it won’t be too long until we see you again.

Commerce Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I stayed 4 days in Munich and this hotel is in the best location. It is very close to the main train station and we felt very safe walking around. The area surrounding the hotel is very busy and not the prettiest site but the hotel itself was very nice. The rooms were very clean and modern. The hotel staff was very accommodating and generous. The breakfast was outstanding with a large variety of foods. Will definitely stay here the next time we travel to Munich.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
marcmuenchen, Leiter Front Office at Marc Munchen, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Laura,
I am so happy you and your husband spent a nice time in our hotel marc****! Thank you very much for your outstanding review.

We are definitely looking forward to welcoming you again.

Warmest regards

Cheadle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel for our 3 night stay in Munich as it was close to the main train station( 2 minute walk away) and looked clean and comfortable. The reception and bar area were small but looked quite stylish and cosy. Our room was a double superior and was a decent size, very clean and had a really comfortable bed. The bathroom was also a good size with a great shower, and plenty of toiletries provided. Staff were friendly and helpful and it was noticeable that they took the time to greet us each time we came back to the hotel which made us feel welcome. The hotel is really handy for U-bahnf and S-bahnf stations, we also walked into the old town each day which took approximately 10-15 minutes. The only slight downside was that the streets immediately around the hotel aren't particularly pleasant, but fairly typical of many city areas near main train stations. All in all,though, a nice, smart little hotel and good value.

Hello Sarah,
It is a pleasure to read your kind review, thank you so much. We always put great emphasis on treating our dear guests warmly, thank you for mentioning!
I am happy you enjoyed your room with modern bathroom and monsoon shower.
Please do not be afraid of the hotel’s vicinity, this “problem” is common with all hotels in big cities located at the main train station. Munich is one of the safest cities in Europe. Walking distance to “nicer” parts of Munich, like the pedestrian area with many sights to see, is only 5 minutes.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again!

Warmest regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Agree that the surroundings of the hotel is not great (youth hostels). I walked out at night alone and didn't feel comfortable. There were young men drinking outside their hostel and it's not a crowded street so if you are unlucky to have drunken men who get out of control, you may fall under unfortunate circumstances. I would just say don't walk alone if you're a lady!
Having said that, the convenience of being right next to the train station cannot be faulted.
Also, the hotel is wonderful! Very clean, modern and I appreciated the room spray and aromatherapy sticks in the bathroom which really smelled super. The beds were very comfortable.
Check in and check out were quick, fuss free and efficient. It said in my Rick Steves book that I get additional 10% discount if I show my book and I mentioned this upon reservation and check -in and they were aware. When I checked out, it was already applied into the bill. Appreciated the welcome drink coupons too (unfortunately had no time to use them in the bar).
The service in the cafe was great. Food was good too. I have to say that this was a great hotel with a reasonable price! My only negative comment was the wifi was very spotty in the room. Maybe because I was on the top floor at the very corner. But if not for that, perfect.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Penciltoon,
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy you do not only see the cons of our hotel’s location but also the pros which are mainly of course the excellent public traffic connections and central location.
Sorry to hear you did not find the time to take your free drinks though I appreciate you mentioning them. At least you were able to enjoy our great breakfast buffet!
I am sorry the wifi connection in your room was not good, I hope you mentioned it at the front desk so that we could check it? Normally our free wifi should work fine in all our rooms as well as the lobby. We really would be interested in your room number to try to find out (info@hotel-marc.de).

For your next stay, which I hope will be real soon, I hope you will have time enough to try our hotel bar.