“Attractive, professionally run and efficient.....”
Review of Platzl Hotel

Platzl Hotel
Ranked #12 of 387 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 18 December 2011

The hotel exudes an understated but highly proficient air.
Efficient check-in by a polite, pleasant and helpful reception team. Great, well appointed quiet room (except for some odd noises above in the middle of the night!) Outstanding breakfast provided by unobtrusive staff.
The hotel foyer contained a delghtfully decorated real Christmas tree. It was a pleasure just sit there and enjoy a drink. I could not think of a better place to spend the Christmas holiday.
If you hanker after Berlin brashness, flash, faceless, hip hotels don't stay here, but if exclusive,calm, quiet conservatism from an ultra skilful team is your preference, the upmarket Platzl is the place to head for!
Great food and atmosphere from the hotel's eatery round the corner

Room Tip: Don't miss the traditional Bavarian white sausage for breakfast.....superb. 'Chucking out t...

Reviewed 16 December 2011

I'd struggled to find a suitable hotel listed in various travel guides and found the Platzl via trip advisor. It had lots of positive reviews so thought I'd try it. Am I glad I did!

WOW! The location of this hotel cannot be beaten!! Nestled a couple of streets back from the main square it's the ideal location for exploring the city. It's central location made it ideal for popping back and forward through the day and with all the main attractions a few minutes walk away.
On occasions I've come unstuck and ended up in hotels miles away from the heart of the action but this is slap bang where the main (new) town meets old and is perfect for exploring all that Munich has to offer on foot.

The post office is opposite the hotel which made it really handy for those holiday postcards!

The hotel itself is lovely - really charming. What the room lacked in size it made up for in character and the nice litle touches like a bedtime choccy add to the cosy feel. Loved the upside down blinds!

The staff could not have been more welcoming - extremely friendly and I really liked the old style / traditional uniforms! I cannot praise their hospitality enough. Superb!

I opted for a Courtyard room having read about potential noise from the streets with the brewery however this was the only down side - I could hear what must have been an air con unit humming all night and getting woken up at 0230hrs by staff transferring trollies etc wasn't ideal. A pain but it didn't spoil my overall enjoyment.

Breakfast was great, a shame that hard boiled eggs weren't available as standard but that's just a personal / british thing and they were available upon request!!!!

The spa on the 5th floor was a lovely touch too.

If you're looking for a hotel that oozes charm, excellent customer service, great facilities in a fantastic, central location this is the hotel for you!! I loved it! Thanks to all the staff there for making it a brilliant stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Wadef827
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Once again, I have only good things to say about the Platzl Hotel in Munich. My third stay was as enjoyable as my first. A clean, comfortable and affordable room, a great staff, an excellent and delicious FREE breakfast and a friendly bar. I appreciate the location (only a few blocks from the city center (Marienplatz) and the Christmas Markets (and connections to the S-Bahn and U-Bahn). Please refer to my previous review of this wonderful establishment for more details.

If Munich is in your travel plans, I sincerely recommend the Platzl Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Hotel was OK, nice room, comfy bed, decent breakfast. But internet in the room (by cable, 4 euro/day) was unusable, it disconnected and reconnected all the time, more or less every minute.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2011

A perfect hotel for visiting Munich christmas markets. Short walking to all market activities and cozy restaurants. The hotel was nice, clean and perfect for us. All personell were friendly and very serviceminded. Next time we visit Munich we definitely book a room at hotel Platzl.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Good service, good breakfast, confortable room, nice bavarian lobby, updated bathroom, unbeatable location and excelent restaurant. The only thing I didn't like is the lack of wi-fi on the fourth floor, which is a real objection for me

Room Tip: Ask for a room with wifi conection!
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Platzl from December 2 -8, 2011 and were very impressed. We arrived VERY late on the 2nd, and were given a "smoking" room, which I did not request. I was pretty irritated because I booked a room months ago, to assure I would get a decent room. I immediately called the front desk and they were sorry that they could not move us that night (we're talking midnight...) but would get us moved the next morning. As we were at breakfast the next morning, I ran down to the front desk and they immediately got us another room. We were able to move right after we ate. It was a corner room facing the Hofbrauhaus, so we were a little worried about the noise at night, but that was not to be. When we closed the windows, we heard nothing. The room was very clean, and spacious. Location of this hotel is excellent. Speaking of breakfast, they had the most amazing breakfast buffet. We love German breakfasts with the yogurts, mueslix, bread, meats, cheese, etc. and they had it all. They even had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, champagne, juices..... I can't even remember it all!!! You could also order weisswurst, hard or soft-boiled eggs, or waffles at no extra charge. The staff in the breakfast room was excellent, constantly refreshing the buffet and clearing dirty dishes.
The front desk staff was always attentive and friendly. The only downside to our stay, was there was no free wifi. I have never understood why a pricey hotel cannot provide that for their guests. It's not a deal-breaker, but we would most likely stay somewhere else next time with free wifi. Even having said that though, I would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank worldtravellerks