“Average Hotel”

Hotel Erzgiesserei Europe
Ranked #120 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I cannot remember much about this hotel, it was an overnight stay. We had room 215 which was part of our Germany Tour. The room fairly large, long and narrow. Red carpet, with drab dark olive green bedspreads. Asked for a double and the beds were 2 singles pushed together. I believe that the hotel needs to think about updating and renovating the rooms, very outdated, if the others are like the one we had. We did noticed that the heater was not working. Our room faced one of the roads. We did not have any noise at all. You could open the windows and we did to let some fresh air in. Very stuffy. Cannot remember the breakfast room at all, but I did make a note and I gave breakfast 6/10 so it could not have been too bad. The position of this hotel is o.k. took us about a 20 - 30 minute pleasant walk, from the city centre. Nothing around the hotel. Would we stay here again, I would look around for something better. Just a average hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Erzgiesserei Europe

Reviewed 29 August 2012

The hotel is located near to Stiglmaier underground station which is one stop to the Hauptbahnhof. As such it is convenient for the city and congress centre.
The hotel has a refined and classy ambience and the rooms are clean and neat. Comprehensive breakfast buffet can be eaten in a pretty and secluded courtyard. There is also a restaurant (of some repute in its own right) and a traditional bar.
Good value for money in big European cities is increasingly hard to find but here it is. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are south facing with a good view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I booked 3 rooms (for 3 couples) for this hotel using Hotwire - when we arrived they had set aside 2 rooms for 1 person each, despite my Hotwire confirmed booking. Not sure who had the problem in this confusion and panic, fortunately the staff made every effort to rectify, although it cost us an extra 100 Euros over the hotwire price.

Rooms are very clean, of the 3 rooms booked two had A/C, one had only a fan and was very hot. Bathrooms are newly upgraded. The underground carpark was a bit of a challenge for larger vehicles, as they use tiny stacked stalls. We had a rooftop carrier and the car just barely fit in. Parking costs extra.

Breakfast was included and was excellent - the outside patio was very pleasant and treed.

Overall this hotel was a great value for downtown Munich.

Room Tip: Confirm your booking if using a service like Expedia or Hotwire.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2012

December 2011/double room/third floor.

Check-in was flawless and accompanied by Cheshire-cat smiles from pretty hotel staff, though I can’t vouch for any male members’ physical attributes because I’m not that way. But all of them were a comforting wide-range of nationalities and ethnicities, who truly understood what they were dealing with in terms of the quality accommodation they offered. I’d hazard a well-educated guess that these ladies/gents were trained for a serious purpose.

We zoomed up to the third floor in a recto-rotic styled lift that would get anyone’s juices going: then bang, we’re in room 310! There was at least 22 square metres of total double-room. Spotlessly clean, without a single trace of pubis in the bed or in the bathroom, and what a bathroom it turned out to be.

Complimentary soaps and gels were so colourfully inviting that I tried them out on sight in a man-sized bath. Impact! I had maximum jets of sheer joy pummelling my body from a whopping shower head that would be more at home in the engine of a formula one car. Afterwards, my skin felt like fresh goat’s milk and I was ready for a night of something avent garde.

Dwelling on the subject of the sanitation, I’m afraid the eco-2 litre flush wasn’t working in this room’s toilet. So it was with great displeasure and a vague feeling of remorse that I flushed away a few bits and pieces that I’d half-digested on my 5.5 hour journey by train from Switzerland. This amounted to nothing more than a tin of Tom Yum nuts, so I am sure you can concur with my disappointment. But later that night, after a slap-up meal at the within walking distance Greek restaurant Alvia, I gave that toilet everything I had and it coped like a Viking. Let’s hear it for Erzgiesserei's flush!

Breakfast was cosy because people talked in low-whispers to the extent where I thought they were trying to persuade a cat to sit in their laps, but alas, those people turned out to be from Holland. Breakfast was buffet-style but the coffee was served by a splendid gentleman in grey slacks. You could choose to sit lower-deck, so to speak, or dive in with the rest of Europe next to the muesli bar. We did both! Then it was back up to the Viking's toilet.

All in all, yet another great stay in the City of Sins and I’ll be back. Well done!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank Spekka
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This was very reasonably priced- we booked from a German website. It was mainly used by Germans but the night porter spoke Excellent English. I am not sure about the rest of the staff as we speak enough |German to not need it. The breakfast was the normal buffet, and had a very good selection but it was served in a soulless canteen-like room. The bedroom was exceptionally clean and there were several free English speaking TV channels. (mostly news). The hotel is in a nice quiet safe area within easy walking distance of town centre (20 mins) or 5 mins to U bahn.
Our only quibble was that the room was far too hot. (End October)The radiator was on full during the day (even though we turned it off) and although we did open the windows, the room just did not cool down and it was too uncomfortable to sleep well. There was no air conditioning in our room. We will go there again hopefully, it is convenient for visiting family, but I will ask for a cooler room

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnserLincs
Reviewed 31 July 2010

The staff were great. I had a great view from my room. It was very quiet and comfortable. The AC worked fantastic, thankfully, because it was miserably hot in Munich at the time. The mini bar items were very reasonably priced. The breakfast on the patio was great. Nice place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 May 2010

I went here based on all of the postiive reviews on this and other websites. Was supposed to stay 4 nights; stayed one and went to another hotel across town that I will highly recommend, the Advokat (although slightly more expensive)

I specifically requested a non-smoking room when I made my reservation (more than a month in advance). The room I received smelled so disgusting - like someone had spilled beer all over the carpet and had been chainsmoking for days. I tried to call the front desk to ask for a room change - picked up the phone, and it didn't work. Had to go down to the lobby to request a room change, but they were unable to fulfill my request. Asked them to fix my phone - they said, oh - you just have to jiggle the phone cord a bit, and it should work (!)

The rates were reasonable before you factor in the cost of internet - which is either 13 or 18 Euro a day, depending on if you want "regular" or "business". When I first checked in, the man at the front desk told me about these two options, but I delayed purchasing since I was going out immediately and wanted to make the most of my 24 hrs. When I returned, someone else was at the front desk and immediately sold me the 18e, didn't present options to me. Had I not known about the other option, I would have had to pay 5 more euro a night for internet.

And on TOP of that - the internet DIDN:T EVEN WORK!!!! Well, it worked really intermittently. When I complained at the front desk, they told me that since it worked sometimes they couldn't give me a refund. Like, seriously? They did offer to comp me with a free beverage from the hotel bar (oh boy!).

Plus, people were trying to call me but couldn't get in touch because my phone wasn't working. After "jiggling the cord" and initially getting a dialtone.

Needless to say, I spent my obligatory night and left the hotel the very next morning.

Internet was either 13 or 18 euro's a day. T