“Nice rooms, but service and cleanliness could bee better”

Hotel Erzgiesserei Europe
Ranked #123 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 5 December 2012

The Hotel Erzgiesserei Europe is quite centrally located. The rooms are spacious and nicely equipped, but one of the two rooms was a smelly smokers rooms. The service is not adequate for a hotel of that category and price, e.g. one of the rooms was not ready when we arrived (one hour after the time they wrote us the rooms would be ready at). No free WLAN in the rooms!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Christian_Gaertner

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed from 7 to 10 October at the Erzgiesserei Hotel. I found it comfortable, impeccably clean, quite with a very good and friendly service but without any charm. It is a functional place to sleep and go to work. The buffet breakfast was very good and generous with a variety of food. However, the rooms are rather small and the bathroom is tiny although very orderly and well maintained. I felt it was too expensive for the quality it offers. The U-bahn is not far and make it a convenient location to go to Marienplatz and citiy centre. However, near by we could not find suitable restaurants to eat in the evening. A rather practical place more than anything else. For a 4 star hotel I was expecting at least a fitness room to exercise a little bit but no facilities.

Room Tip: The upper floors are better as you are away from the smoking rooms on the first floor. It is nice to...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stay during September 2012. The hotel is located in a nice neighborhood with good places to eat near by. All hotel employees were very nice. Also is a 5minute walk to a U station to get to various places around the city. We do not recommend this hotel for various reasons: no free Internet, did not want to turn on the aircondition, we open the windows and since it was the Oktoberfest fest all the noise of people walking and talking on the street woke us up, and the bed was extremely hard and uncomfortable.
It was very expensive!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Desi L
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I cannot remember much about this hotel, it was an overnight stay. We had room 215 which was part of our Germany Tour. The room fairly large, long and narrow. Red carpet, with drab dark olive green bedspreads. Asked for a double and the beds were 2 singles pushed together. I believe that the hotel needs to think about updating and renovating the rooms, very outdated, if the others are like the one we had. We did noticed that the heater was not working. Our room faced one of the roads. We did not have any noise at all. You could open the windows and we did to let some fresh air in. Very stuffy. Cannot remember the breakfast room at all, but I did make a note and I gave breakfast 6/10 so it could not have been too bad. The position of this hotel is o.k. took us about a 20 - 30 minute pleasant walk, from the city centre. Nothing around the hotel. Would we stay here again, I would look around for something better. Just a average hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

The hotel is located near to Stiglmaier underground station which is one stop to the Hauptbahnhof. As such it is convenient for the city and congress centre.
The hotel has a refined and classy ambience and the rooms are clean and neat. Comprehensive breakfast buffet can be eaten in a pretty and secluded courtyard. There is also a restaurant (of some repute in its own right) and a traditional bar.
Good value for money in big European cities is increasingly hard to find but here it is. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are south facing with a good view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I booked 3 rooms (for 3 couples) for this hotel using Hotwire - when we arrived they had set aside 2 rooms for 1 person each, despite my Hotwire confirmed booking. Not sure who had the problem in this confusion and panic, fortunately the staff made every effort to rectify, although it cost us an extra 100 Euros over the hotwire price.

Rooms are very clean, of the 3 rooms booked two had A/C, one had only a fan and was very hot. Bathrooms are newly upgraded. The underground carpark was a bit of a challenge for larger vehicles, as they use tiny stacked stalls. We had a rooftop carrier and the car just barely fit in. Parking costs extra.

Breakfast was included and was excellent - the outside patio was very pleasant and treed.

Overall this hotel was a great value for downtown Munich.

Room Tip: Confirm your booking if using a service like Expedia or Hotwire.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2012

December 2011/double room/third floor.

Check-in was flawless and accompanied by Cheshire-cat smiles from pretty hotel staff, though I can’t vouch for any male members’ physical attributes because I’m not that way. But all of them were a comforting wide-range of nationalities and ethnicities, who truly understood what they were dealing with in terms of the quality accommodation they offered. I’d hazard a well-educated guess that these ladies/gents were trained for a serious purpose.

We zoomed up to the third floor in a recto-rotic styled lift that would get anyone’s juices going: then bang, we’re in room 310! There was at least 22 square metres of total double-room. Spotlessly clean, without a single trace of pubis in the bed or in the bathroom, and what a bathroom it turned out to be.

Complimentary soaps and gels were so colourfully inviting that I tried them out on sight in a man-sized bath. Impact! I had maximum jets of sheer joy pummelling my body from a whopping shower head that would be more at home in the engine of a formula one car. Afterwards, my skin felt like fresh goat’s milk and I was ready for a night of something avent garde.

Dwelling on the subject of the sanitation, I’m afraid the eco-2 litre flush wasn’t working in this room’s toilet. So it was with great displeasure and a vague feeling of remorse that I flushed away a few bits and pieces that I’d half-digested on my 5.5 hour journey by train from Switzerland. This amounted to nothing more than a tin of Tom Yum nuts, so I am sure you can concur with my disappointment. But later that night, after a slap-up meal at the within walking distance Greek restaurant Alvia, I gave that toilet everything I had and it coped like a Viking. Let’s hear it for Erzgiesserei's flush!

Breakfast was cosy because people talked in low-whispers to the extent where I thought they were trying to persuade a cat to sit in their laps, but alas, those people turned out to be from Holland. Breakfast was buffet-style but the coffee was served by a splendid gentleman in grey slacks. You could choose to sit lower-deck, so to speak, or dive in with the rest of Europe next to the muesli bar. We did both! Then it was back up to the Viking's toilet.

All in all, yet another great stay in the City of Sins and I’ll be back. Well done!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business