“Great Hotel”

Hotel Excelsior
Ranked #80 of 385 Hotels in Munich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 February 2012

My Husband and I were there for a business trip and the hoptel was chosen for us. I had no expectations since I hadn't even checked it out on the internet. First of all it was accross the street from the train station which we used to come from the airport it's the fastest and cheapest way to get to the town center, which was very nice! The reception area had a very charming and traditional decor with very friendly personnel dressed in Bavarian clothes which was a nice touch. The rooms were very spacious high ceilings, big windows very modern bathrooms with bath robes etc. The beds were queen size with beautiful crisp white linen that they changed every day. The breakfast was the best part very elegant in a beautiful dining room with great service. As for the main restaurant the waiters were extremely friendly seemed to enjoy and take pride in there work place.
The location of this hotel is perfect right by the pedestrian area were all the action and the clock tower as well as all the big stores and boutiques.
I would definetly recommend this hotel for it's charm, location, service, staff, great linen, and beautiful breakfast. Only negative which is surprising, their TV's are real actiques, but as for the rest it's a great choice for a hotel in Munich.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Marise_12

Reviewed 26 January 2012

A colleague had recommended this hotel. It was only for one night, it was a business trip. I had had no time to plan and check and i was not expecting much, ready to 'rough it out' if i did not like ... .

And i was caught by surprise. I found the place charming, as soon as the entrance. It is cosy, it feels warm. The atmosphere is elegant and welcoming.
The style of decoration is between traditional (a lot of wood), classic and elegant. Perfectly clean. Traditional could easily feel outdated and sometimes run down. It is clean and neat.

The staff is very welcoming. and discrete also - not over doing it - which i appreciate.

I liked the lobby, i liked the restaurant / breakfast area - comfortable and elegant like the rest, and i really enjoyed my room. Not that i had asked but I was in a suite. Entrance area, sofa and coffe table, twin beds in an alcove. Confortable, well decorated. I found nothing missing: bathrobes, amenities, hairdryer, extra blankets, safe, free WIFI !!! etc.
I also liked the 'deal' on the minibar : everything 1 euro (no alcohol but beer). Which i find is fair, as i only ever care for soft drinks or water. I wish i saw more of that in hotels. Makes you feel more like a guest than a cash machine.
Because nothing is perfect : I was annoyed by the hissing noise of the heating system at night. The room was a bit chilly. No flat TV and it is quite small given the distance to the bed...
Not enough to avoid regretting I would spend only one night there there.

The restaurant's cuisine is quite good, and they have an extensive wine list (from all around).

I could not say whether it is a good area or not to visit, but it seems to be, check other reviews for that info.

Thumbs up. If i return to Munich I will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Alstromeria33
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Myself and my wife decided to have a short break in Munich , a week after we got married in a 5star castle in ireland . Both of us have stayed in Munich before and so know what to expect. We like the Bavarian culture and so were very pleased to see the staff in traditional dress and the decor was excellent . The staff were very helpful and friendly especially Amani on the front desk and rabbit? the Resturaunt manager who skilfully used the right combination of humour and professionalism to make both of our visits special. The food in the Resturaunt was excellent and the venison was by far the best we've had (and we have had it a lot) . The table service was second to none and friendly . We genuinely felt at ease and quite spoilt. I would reccomend booking a table to avoid
Disapointment .
Our bedroom was quite good but was next to a squeaky firedoor which apeared to be in constant use . The service elevator was close too , but the bed was comfortable and the en-suite bathroom was great . The breakfast was very good and the staff were very attentive. We will definitely stay again on our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank Pogmahome
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel is convenient to so many things, (within walking distance) the main train station, the Ubahn, Marienplatz, shopping, restaurants, sightseeing! We saw three other rooms, all different configurations, clean and you can open the windows for fresh area. The rooms were large for a European hotel. Request a room facing out (all though it might be a little noisy at night), the interior rooms are smaller. Staff was helpful and friendly. Good service, good food and friendly at the bar, breakfast and dinner restaurants. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lv2tvlatl
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed here 2 nights, in room 333. The room and the bathroom are clean but definitely showing some signs of age, but i thought it s not a problem.
One amazing thing about this hotel; everything out of the minibar costs 1 euro.
Staff was excellent, they all speak good English and are very helpful and friendly.
I didnt have any problems with the noise outside, hotel is not noisy at all. We also had air conditioner.
I was a little anxious before I arrived at the hotel, due to some reviews here, but the hotel proved them wrong. I guess not all the rooms are this good, but if you tell them that you want a spacious room, apparently they oblige.

My advise about breakfast would be; don't eat it at the hotel if you don't have an early flight. There is a great café right across the hotel and many other great breakfast spots around the town that you can try. At the hotel the breakfast costs 19 euros, and I have to say, it's not worth it and the service is not very good.

The wine house attached to hotel is one of the best wine houses I have ever been, I think everyone should try it. The service, atmosphere, wine selection and the food, everything is excellent.

Room Tip: Third floor looks better than others, all non smoking.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank zrekkal1
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed here 2 nights. While the rooms and common areas are clean, the hotel is showing signs of age with some worn furnishings and scuff marks on the walls. The decor is also quite dated, and the service is similarly from another age; for example, they insist that you sign the check for your breakfast even when it's included in your room rate.

The location of the hotel is fine, although the area around the station is a bit of a red light district.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2011

The hotel is located just opposite the main train station - the Munich Hauptbahnof and near the main shopping area Karlsplatz/Stachus. The Marienplatz with its historic churches and impressive architecture as well as the Munich Residenz palace complex is a few minutes walk. The area is the hub of Munich one is spoilt for choice among the numerous restaurants and eateries. As we were in Munich for a short trip saving time on the commute was important to us.

That being said, the disappointing factors were the noisy rooms, cramped bathrooms and the fact that there was no air-conditioning. We were given a street facing room on arrival but as the noise was too much, we requested for a quieter room. The staff were kind enough to comply with our request immediately but even the room facing the inner courtyards are too noisy. The lack of air-conditioning did not immensely bother us as we are used to a tropical climate.

The hotel was fully renovated in 1986 but little has been done since then. The carpets and upholstery are in urgent need of change.

August was warm and we had the option of either being hot and stuffy in the room or opening the windows and allowing the unbearable noise of construction and late night revelers.

We found the staff courteous and helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floors and inner courtyard rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business