“Decent Hotel for Business or Leisure”
Review of Hotel Munich City

Hotel Munich City
Ranked #292 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Located near the train station but if you have large bags then you might want to take a taxi. It is about a 15 minute walk however still in the center of Munich. The closest Metro is Theresienwiese and walkable to the Oktoberfest grounds.

The hotel has a modern lobby with a small bar area and a breakfast bar that I did not use. The rooms were clean and modern in a residential area. The neighborhood was quiet. There is like most hotels in the EU no A/C so be prepared on hot nights to have a window open or wait until midnight until sleeping.

There has been some complaints on other reviews about the water temps here but I had no problems. The hotel is a good price for the location and the WIFI worked well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Munich City

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Not sure why it's gotten such low reviews here on while TA, the site that I booked through has it ranked pretty darn high. I loved this little hotel, the staff was great, the location was nice (easy to walk ANYWHERE) and It was close to the train station. The front desk agents were all super helpful and gave my friend and I plenty of places to eat and things to do. This hotel does have an elevator, well I'm pretty sure I remember seeing one but I could be wrong. The room was a nice size by European standards, the Wi-Fi was excellent and the bed was comfy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I booked the hotel for one night because we were travelling back home. I arrived at 14:00 for check in. as soon as I arrived to the reception they told me that there is a problem in the water. So we will transfer you to another hotel in the area. The offered to me a soft drink and ordered a TAXI to drive me to the new Hotel. Munich City Hotel is a four star Hotel and I was expecting to be transferred to an Hotel with the same standards, but unfortunately they transferred me to a much more worse Hotel Munich Inn Hotel which is a 3 star hotel. The room was quit small and there was a very bad smell in the toilet in addition the room is on the main street so as soon as I open the window i hear every single voice in the street. I called Munich City Hotel complaining about what I found in the room and how this treatment was not acceptable. I asked for a full refund of my money or to be transferred to another four star hotel in the area. They suggested another Hotel for me but it was quit far from the center. So as a result I rejected there offer and insisted on having my money back. So they told me we have a double room available in our hotel but it is very small. if you would like to move in it that OK. I rejected because, I will accept to stay in a Hotel that has problems in the water system and they did not respect from the beginning. So I insisted on having my money back, They gave me 40 Euros.

Never try this hotel and don't trust the PICS

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I arrived on a rainy afternoon and was checked in fairly quickly. I was helped with my bags to my room as there is no elevator and room #6xx was on the 4th floor. The hotel is renovated with a small bar and lounge and a very comfortable breakfast room. The rooms are modern-ish in style (sliding glass door for the bathroom) but did have a sofa. The tiled floor made it a little less comfortable but it wasn't a problem as it wasn't cold in the room. I couldn't see any room A/C, but it did have opening windows (and heaters for the cooler days.)

The room lighting isn't great for working in despite a good desk area, so I left the bathroom light on to brighten up the room. The desk was right up next to the tv (only had 1 English language channel.) There is no coffee maker in the room or ironing board/iron. Call the front desk and someone will bring you one pretty quickly. Downstairs is a kick butt expresso coffee machine for 2.20 euros. The room information folder is all in German. My Android "Word Lens" app helped decifer some of the information into English, but it seems like a bit of an oversight considering how everyone in the city speaks English. The Internet is free and was enough to do Netflix, but Skype was not working well.

Breakfast was good - I enjoyed the Zumex orange juicing machine. There was hot sausage, eggs, etc. Chilled yogurts, cereal, etc. I opted for the smoked salmon, mozzarella and tomato with (soft) boiled egg and some of the delicious sunflower seeded rolls. That was great for 2 breakfasts in a row.

Note:
- There is a courtyard below the rooms which does get some noise, but it doesn't go on too late.
- The shower hot water in the morning did go cold and needed to be adjusted. For a 5 min shower this isn't a problem. If you like to take long showers think again. Not a deal breaker

This is a 15-20 min walk from the main train station. Don't do it if you have luggage. Instead take a taxi. Once you know your east from your west you can get the #18 or #19 tram from central station and walk 5 mins around the corner.

I would stay here again, if nothing was closer to my office.

PS - for late night, jet-lag fueled hunger there is a Casino bar/cafe near the tram stop called "Westside." It does a great pizza and is open 24/7.

Room Tip: May be chose the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stevio_1
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Spent 3 nights staying at the hotel with my partner and parents in August 2014. We booked the hotel based on the photographs which was a big mistake. The smiling receptionist was nowhere to be seen, instead 2 very busy chaps who seemed to rushed to deal with customers. During check in people were already complaining about the size of the rooms and asking for alternatives, which there did not seem to be available. The hotel public areas are clean as are the rooms, but this is where the positives stop. The lift is tiny and very slow. The rooms are ridiculous in size, with only 300mm down the side of the bed and 600mm at the bottom. Even worse is the size of the shower rooms. A sliding door is provided as there is no room to provide a swing door. The shower cubicles are so small you can hardly get in to them. We complained about the water to the showers either being boiling hot or freezing cold, and were told to run them for at least 5 minutes before using, which did not help. Please do not take children here as they will be scalded from the hot water without a doubt. The rooms have no air conditioning and are so hot at night you will be unable to sleep. We had to buy fans to try and cool down the rooms. The outside area, although shown nicely on the website photos is grotty. The glazed covered areas are broken and look as though they have bullet shots through them!! On the first night there were no lights in the external area, when this was mentioned we were told that the socket was not working and there was nothing they could do about it. On using this area on the 2nd night the handyman sat at a table next to us with a casserole dish and chomped on a mixture of spaghetti and sauce which was very off putting, as though we shouldn't be there. The ridiculous thing is that the hotel feels it acceptable to mislead clients with inappropriate photographs and still charge what other far superior hotels in the area are charging. I can only suggest that you keep clear of this hotel and not be dragged in to booking based on photographs which in now way represent what can only be described as the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Michael L
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Good location approx 10-15 minutes walk from train station. Clean hotel great breakfast very helpful staff , apart from one grumpy one..... Taxi service if required was always just outside hotel. This hotel is clean and handy for the Octoberfest which is just 5 minutes walk away

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Had a wonderful and pleasant experience. Stayed here for 3 nights. The staff is very helpful and decent. The room was neat and comfortable. The toilet was clean and well maintained.
Ideally located, about 10 min walk from Hackerbrucke station, so well connected to other parts of the city.
The breakfast is well spread with a lot of dishes to offer.
Overall, would rate this one VERY GOOD