“Good for Oktoberfest”
Review of Hotel Seibel

Hotel Seibel
Ranked #335 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here with a group that was going to Oktoberfest. The location was unbeatble for that. We were just across the street from the tents. But the hotelmwas old, poorly furnished, cold, and loud. I was unahppy with the bed and the wifi was expensive and didn't work.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Franklmac

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Really, this hotel is okay. Do not stay here if you're used to a luxury hotel but do if you're looking for a hotel that's literally across the street from Oktoberfest. It's a 30 minute walk from Downtown Munich, the cute part of town. I'll put it to you this way: you get what you pay for.

I originally booked this hotel because of its proximity to Oktoberfest and because they accept dogs for a small fee each night. But my first issue was when I received an email from the hotel about a week before my arrival saying that I had to pay for the room in advance, in cash via a bank wire transfer. I responded by saying none of this was written on their website and it was not part of our agreement. I asked why I needed to do this. Apparently, it's because Oktoberfest is so busy. See, I know that it's busy and I don't mind paying for a room in advance. But what I do mind is the last minute change to the hotel policy and the demand that I pay or that I presumably would lose the room.

Next, on arrival, I thought that the staff was somewhat rude. Okay, I was early and I asked on the off chance if there might be a room to check into - I wouldn't mind paying - and maybe they just hadn't had enough coffee or something and maybe I was tired and interpreted them in a specific way, but I felt was a little taken aback by my welcome.

I walked into my room and was surprised to see that the floors were almost Spanish tiles with no floor covering. So the room was loud, echoed, and cold. It had a small single bed, one armoire, one table, one chair, two side tables (one had drinks lined up on it with a list of prices), all older and sparse, no safe, no fridge. If it didn't have a TV in it, it would almost feel like a room in a nunnery. The hotel room door was thin, the outer hallway floors were wood, and I was right next to a WC, so I heard a lot of what was happening in the hallway. The bathroom was old. It was serviceable and practical, just not very comforting or welcoming.

The first day I was there, I put the sign on my door asking for a cleanup. Since I had my dog with me, I stayed away for as long as possible before going back to change for Oktoberfest (from 10am to 4pm). But to my surprise, my room wasn't touched. I guess they assumed the big green sign on the door meant I wanted privacy? I asked the front desk to make sure that the room was cleaned the following day. And the following day when I returned, my hotel room was clean but it smelled really bad, like they had used a dirty mop to wipe the floors. It was okay after airing out for a few hours but worth mentioning.

I didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on that.

Wifi was available in the hotel lobby only, with one code that you need to provide your passport number for, which I thought was odd. You receive one code per room and that code can only work on one device at a time.

Lastly... I hesitate to bring this up, but... one of the nighttime front desk staff was friendly and nice, but he kept hitting on me. I don't mind something being said once in a flirtatious manner but this was repeatedly. It's kind of uncomfortable for someone to travel alone when a person with the key to your room asks you to join him at Oktoberfest a few times.

So all in all, I would book this hotel if you're looking for a hotel that has easy access to Oktoberfest for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank ychoi12
Reviewed 23 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel is quite convenient for an overnight stay not too far from the Hauptbahnhof, and being directly across the road from the Oktoberfest, I imagine it would be in very high demand at that time.
It is quite comfortable, although the decor is very tired. Double-glazing means that the road noise isn't an issue, but the hotel's situation on the main road also means that an open window at night isn't really an option. The wooden floors are remarkably noisy if neighbouring guests (or those on the floor above) move around in the night.
The staff are helpful and efficient and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SnRAdelaide
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I've booked one single room two weeks ago,
I am on business travel so i normally check in late and need wifi for work.
When I came, they just said: "we've booked for you in the dependance here in the other building".

They sent me the hotel Krone, which is the hotel on the side.
They told me that Hotel Seibel often overbooks and then send the overbooked guests to Krone.

Just avoid Seibel.

Room Tip: call them after the online booking and before the trip in order to check that they have a room and a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank franklittle
Reviewed 19 July 2013

A very nice hotel just close to Oktober fest ring. During the rest of the year you are also close to metro line and the centre.
You can park the car just in front of it, and is very easy to move alla around.
Large rooms very clean and a large bathroom. Perfect continental breackfast.

Just one bad note, there is no lift to reach the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is my first Trip Advisor review and I felt compelled to write this after staying a few nights.

My wife and I scheduled our first trip to Europe recently and Munich was the first stop. We really didn't know what to expect for hotels in Europe as we heard it will be very different as to what we are used to. We were so pleased to start our trip at this hotel! The area is fantastic and for the price we could not have been happier. The staff was extremely welcoming and spoke great English which was a huge relief for us. We were also very surprised with the size of the room. We had one on the lower level and it was much bigger than we thought it would be. It did get a little hot in there but it was over 80 degrees (30 degrees Celsius) and very humid during our trip. The breakfast buffet was absolutely GREAT for the size of the this hotel. (traditional cold cuts, bread, cheese, eggs, fruit and MUCH more). This honestly helped us save a decent amount of cash as every morning we had such a big meal. Another thing that we loved was that it was about a 7 minute taxi ride from the center of the city. We spent many late nights taking in the night life (Beer halls) and each night our taxi ride back was less than 9 Euros. It's also very close to the Munich central train station. .

I will say the hotel is definitely not "modern" and has some creaks in the floor when you walk around and some plaster may be cracked but you are in Europe, enjoy the history of these buildings! Our room was always clean and we never once felt "dirty" We later stayed in some more modern hotels in different areas but they didn't come close to having as much charm as Seibel.

by the way, the enormous field that hosts the world famous Oktoberfest is directly across the street from the hotel. We went in June so it was completely empty but it was still cool to walk around and take in the massive size. Great experience overall! If you are looking for a great place to sleep and not spend a fortune you should check this place out.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple