“Value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #323 of 381 Hotels in Munich
Scotland
“Value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I stayed here for three nights in November 2013. It is within walking distance of the main area of Munich. Thereseinhoehe is a quiet street this time of year but could well be extremely noisy during Oktoberfest as it runs along Thereseienweise where the main festivities occur.
The hotel is a lovely period building with great decoration but does not have a lift. My room was in the basement right by the stairs so a fair amount of early morning noise from people checking out and when they came home at night but otherwise quiet enough and had a really great shower. I found the bed hard but was able to get another duvet to put underneath me which solved the problem. The biggest downside was that my window was at ground level and opened onto the driveway where cars were parked.

Staff were very helpful and friendly but , for some reason, required passport details before they would allow wifi access. When I queried it I was told it was in case anyone downloaded music or films. Can't see the connection personally. Breakfast was very good with a wide choice and as much as anyone could possibly eat if you like cold meat and cheese.

If I were to stay here again I'd opt for one of the upstairs rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid basement rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

An older hotel building located just across the street from the north entrance to October fest. It is located about300 meters from subway station Theresienheide and about 1 km south of the Hauptbahnhof.. The hotel has been renovated, and it includes a nice breakfast area off the lobby. The rooms are large and well appointed. The major drawback for me was that the lobby is located on the German first floor, which means that a flight of stairs about a dozen steps led up to the lobby from the ground level. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, but the desk is not occupied during the late night/early morning hours. Good restaurants are located just a couple of hundred meters away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here with a group that was going to Oktoberfest. The location was unbeatble for that. We were just across the street from the tents. But the hotelmwas old, poorly furnished, cold, and loud. I was unahppy with the bed and the wifi was expensive and didn't work.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Franklmac

Travellers are raving about these Munich hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

Really, this hotel is okay. Do not stay here if you're used to a luxury hotel but do if you're looking for a hotel that's literally across the street from Oktoberfest. It's a 30 minute walk from Downtown Munich, the cute part of town. I'll put it to you this way: you get what you pay for.

I originally booked this hotel because of its proximity to Oktoberfest and because they accept dogs for a small fee each night. But my first issue was when I received an email from the hotel about a week before my arrival saying that I had to pay for the room in advance, in cash via a bank wire transfer. I responded by saying none of this was written on their website and it was not part of our agreement. I asked why I needed to do this. Apparently, it's because Oktoberfest is so busy. See, I know that it's busy and I don't mind paying for a room in advance. But what I do mind is the last minute change to the hotel policy and the demand that I pay or that I presumably would lose the room.

Next, on arrival, I thought that the staff was somewhat rude. Okay, I was early and I asked on the off chance if there might be a room to check into - I wouldn't mind paying - and maybe they just hadn't had enough coffee or something and maybe I was tired and interpreted them in a specific way, but I felt was a little taken aback by my welcome.

I walked into my room and was surprised to see that the floors were almost Spanish tiles with no floor covering. So the room was loud, echoed, and cold. It had a small single bed, one armoire, one table, one chair, two side tables (one had drinks lined up on it with a list of prices), all older and sparse, no safe, no fridge. If it didn't have a TV in it, it would almost feel like a room in a nunnery. The hotel room door was thin, the outer hallway floors were wood, and I was right next to a WC, so I heard a lot of what was happening in the hallway. The bathroom was old. It was serviceable and practical, just not very comforting or welcoming.

The first day I was there, I put the sign on my door asking for a cleanup. Since I had my dog with me, I stayed away for as long as possible before going back to change for Oktoberfest (from 10am to 4pm). But to my surprise, my room wasn't touched. I guess they assumed the big green sign on the door meant I wanted privacy? I asked the front desk to make sure that the room was cleaned the following day. And the following day when I returned, my hotel room was clean but it smelled really bad, like they had used a dirty mop to wipe the floors. It was okay after airing out for a few hours but worth mentioning.

I didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on that.

Wifi was available in the hotel lobby only, with one code that you need to provide your passport number for, which I thought was odd. You receive one code per room and that code can only work on one device at a time.

Lastly... I hesitate to bring this up, but... one of the nighttime front desk staff was friendly and nice, but he kept hitting on me. I don't mind something being said once in a flirtatious manner but this was repeatedly. It's kind of uncomfortable for someone to travel alone when a person with the key to your room asks you to join him at Oktoberfest a few times.

So all in all, I would book this hotel if you're looking for a hotel that has easy access to Oktoberfest for a reasonable price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank ychoi12
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

This hotel is quite convenient for an overnight stay not too far from the Hauptbahnhof, and being directly across the road from the Oktoberfest, I imagine it would be in very high demand at that time.
It is quite comfortable, although the decor is very tired. Double-glazing means that the road noise isn't an issue, but the hotel's situation on the main road also means that an open window at night isn't really an option. The wooden floors are remarkably noisy if neighbouring guests (or those on the floor above) move around in the night.
The staff are helpful and efficient and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Milan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I've booked one single room two weeks ago,
I am on business travel so i normally check in late and need wifi for work.
When I came, they just said: "we've booked for you in the dependance here in the other building".

They sent me the hotel Krone, which is the hotel on the side.
They told me that Hotel Seibel often overbooks and then send the overbooked guests to Krone.

Just avoid Seibel.

Room Tip: call them after the online booking and before the trip in order to check that they have a room and a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business