“Good for the group”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #350 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a tour. Overall it was a good place to stay. The room was small but clean and there was decent water pressure (which is rarer then you would think in Europe). Contrary to what others have said, I found the staff to be very helpful, especially in tracking down ice for a injured traveler. While a bit from the city center, it was not bad.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 June 2013

We ended up at this hotel as part of a tour during the month of June. Our stay totaled three unhappy nights. Unfortunately there is no air conditioning and the temperatures in Munich during our visit were stifling. Our room was located on the ground floor and we did not feel comfortable keeping the window wide-open during the night for safety reasons which exacerbated the heat overnight. As another reviewer mentioned, the bathrooms at this hotel are absolutely ridiculous. I acknowledge the fact that many European bathrooms are small but this room's bathroom was tiny. My knees hit the wall while sitting on the toilet (I'm a female, 5'8" tall) and no space between the toilet and the shower door. There is a shelf directly over the sink making it impossible to lean over and wash your face without hitting your head. Noise levels in this hotel were unpleasant. Because of the lack of air conditioning, guests congregated outside the entrance, talking and carrying on late into the night, making sleeping more challenging since our room was nearby.

Comments related to a "less than friendly" male staff member are echoed here in my review as well. On separate occasions both my roommate and I were provided curt, slightly angry responses from a male staff member.

Honestly, I'd never return to this hotel and if I hadn't been with a pre-paid tour, I would have checked out and moved my family to accommodations elsewhere.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank MissElizabeth007
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We unfortunately stayed two nights in this hotel because everything else was booked in town. I would have left if I had another option. We arrived at the hotel around 16:00 and on our way up to the room the elevator (which is very small and outdated) door abruptly closed on my suitcase and pinned me against the wall. Once we got to our floor the maids weren't finished cleaning our rooms so we had to wait in the narrow, dirty hallway with all of our luggage. Once the rooms were finished we made our way around the dirty vacuum and cleaning supplies blocking the walkway and went in. The rooms were small and musty, the walls were very dirty looking with stains and grime. The bathroom was tiny, there is a shelf directly over the sink making it impossible to wash your face without hitting your head or splashing water all over the bathroom. The toilet hardly fit in the room and the towel rack is right next to it so that the towels actually touch the toilet seat. There are pipes sticking out of the bathroom walls and when you take a shower the temperature fluctuates from ice cold to scalding hot at random intervals. The beds are uncomfortable and the cleanliness of the mattresses is questionable. The photos I saw online when booking the room look nothing like how this place actually looks. It was very unpleasant and I would definitely not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank E B
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This is a good hotel, small rooms but clean and the breakfast is fantastic BUT, suggest you request a room away from the noisy stairwell and adjacent lift. The hotel is on Lansberger Strassa which stretches into infinity from the Munich HBF station. It's not walkable unless you're into marathon walking. Take the subway to Pasing, about 4 stations away, then it's about 10 minutes walk past a bright white shopping centre (which has some excellent food outlets). We left the hotel with a request. After experiencing the noise of a group or groups of inconsiderate guests who arrived at the hotel from 4:30am through to 5:30 am and who laughed, talked very loudly and banged doors - we asked the front desk to remind arriving guests that people are SLEEPING in the hotel at that hour and to be QUIET. Some people can be really selfish. I hope the hotel takes this on board.

Room Tip: Request away from stairwell and adjacent lift.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GillianP3
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Located far from everything, but when you come for Oktoberfest and everything is overbooked and overpriced - this is an option. Beds are comfortable, it's clean. Very good breakfast and normal price of beer. Short walk from metro. Reception staff could have been more friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank gringo30
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This hotel was very average. The rooms are extremely small, no vent in the bathrooms or windows that can be opened, so the entire room stayed damp and humid our 3 day stay. it is 5 minutes from the U-Bahn which takes you direct to the Marienplatz within 15 minutes, or the airport within 1 hour.
Service was good, room service ladies were great, and most at the front desk were as well. One man was very unpleasant, being rude when I asked for some information (my German is very broken as I lack the practice, but he made no effort or cared to be nice at all) and made me wait 5 minutes while he was doing paperwork and phone calls before answering me - he said 19 cents per phone call. Sure enough, I made a 4-5 minute phone call and on check out was charged 16 Euro's for it!! WHAT?? That is not what the unfriendly man had said! I tried to argue with them but they said that is what it is. I paid it, only because we were asking them to hold on to our luggage for the day while we toured around before our evening flight.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanadianTravelGurl
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the Imperial for our visit to the Starkbeerfest in March.
Hotel was 2 minutes walk from U bahn station, with good connections to Marienplatz.
Staff was excellent and the rooms superb.
Excellent bakeries within 2 minutes for breakfast as the hotel breakfast was expensive, although very good.

Room Tip: Ask for room with mini kitchen as you get a kettle and cups, take own tea and coffee.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends