“Very Good Hotel in Central Location”
Review of Le Meridien Munich

Le Meridien Munich
Ranked #100 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 16 April 2010

I last stayed here almost three years ago. At that time, the hotel was pleasant but nothing spectacular. Clearly, there has been some touching up since then. This is evident from when you walk into the lobby - where the lighting has been lowered to give a calmer, more boutique hotel style experience – and when you get into the lifts – which now have sea sounds playing in the background. It might not be to everyone’s taste, but I preferred it to what existed before.

I got upgraded to a deluxe room which looked out over a small side street. My room was very large, very nicely decorated and had no noise, despite the central Munich location. The bathroom was also pretty large and featured both a walk in shower and full size bath. My only complaint was that the air conditioning did not seem to work particularly well, but given that it was 2 degrees outside, this was not a major issue.

A buffet breakfast was included in my rate and was excellent. However, at € 26 full price, you would expect it to be good. One tip – the breakfast room must be 50 metres long and the buffet is at the end of it. If you like to pay multiple visits to the buffet, don’t be tempted to take the first seats that you see when you enter the breakfast room – unless of course, you want to burn off the calories as you walk back and forth to the buffet.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 April 2010

We had anticipated a relaxing stay at Le Meridien in Munich, however, as expected, I was disappointed at another one of Le Meridiens, this time in Munich...
We checked in after a four hour drive from Frankfurt and upon checking in, we were shown to our room... as I started unpacking, we heard a horrible sound of drilling. It was as if the drilling was taking place in our very own room... At first, we thought it might be a minor construction on the same floor and will not last long, however, it lasted for thirty minutes, non-stop... I phoned the reception and they said that "to be honest, there are some constructions taking place on the floor right above us" and that was it... Unfortunately, the hotel staff failed to inform us upon check-in that there has been a construction going on as they are remodelling their rooms... why the hotel decided to be open during that period and "forgot" to tell us upon check-in, I don't know... their solution was to relocate us to another room on a different floor... we were moved to a different room, hoping that the construction sound would not be heard as much... nope... it was exactly the same... it was then that I became furious and actually went downstairs to speak with the manager... their attitude conveyed the message that well, if you're not satisfied, you can leave... this time, they decided to again move us to one of their remodelled rooms on the 7th floor and deduct 30 euros from the first night's fee... still hearing the construction but being tired from moving up and down and already losing half of our planned day (on a two day trip), we decided not to argue anymore and just take it... we tried calling two other hotels to book rooms, however to our surprise, they were sold out... I will never ever return to this hotel.... terrible experience... I've stayed at another Le Meridien before and they've managed to disappoint me in another way...

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anahita-r
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Located directly across from the Main Train Station and within a short 5-8 minute walk to the city center, great shopping and famous sights like Marienplatz. The rooms are large, inner rooms looking onto lovely courtyard. Outer rooms have minimal to no traffic noise. Good bar, good restaurant. The staff is incredible and will go well overboard to make your stay up to and beyond your standards. As a frequent traveler abroad, this is a top hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2010

My wife and I stayed here from April 4th through April 9th. The location (across from the main train station) was ideal. There is a bus that departs to the airport every 20 minutes for 10 Euros within a 5 minute walking distance from the hotel.

The staff was very gracious as well. We were awakened one morning by construction in the next room (in the hotel's defense, it was 11 AM). We were offered breakfast in compensation (60 Euro value). Everything (check in/check out) went smoothly.

I also emailed the hotel in advance to confirm our reservation. I received a response in literally 5 minutes.

The hotel is a 15 minute walk to the Marienplatz. Great location.

I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2010

One of my favourite things about Le Meridien hotels is that the lobby always smells so great, the Munich outpost doesnt disappoint!
We really liked this hotel for a long weekend. The rooms were really comfortable, we had a city view room looking out over the main train station road and couldnt hear any of the cars or trams going past when the windows were closed so you dont need to worry about that.
The bathrooms have seperate showers, which I really like.
The only negative I could give the hotel was that the 'spa' area was overrun with children dive bombing into the pool. This is fine, but it isnt a spa environment so dont come expecting that.
Munich itself was really lovely, and we would definetly return for another weekend break here and we would stay at the same hotel!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I was on the verge of booking a different hotel for my weekend in Munich when this one became available at a lower price and with breakfast included. As I stayed in other Meridian hotels before then it was easy to plump for this one and of course being opposite the main train station was a big plus.

We arrived a few hours before official check in and our room was not quite ready so we put our luggage in storage and went out for a wander near the hotel. When we returned and as the hotel were aware that we were visiting Munich for a special occasion, we got a deluxe room.

The room was large; we had a view of a side street and thus were shielded away from the main road. This hotel has had a rebrand with modern art motifs such as the room key and special ambient lift music. It may not be to everyone’s taste though. We had a comfortable bed although not sure why a king sized bed has two single duvets instead of one large one. There was a large LCD TV, a free bottle of water. Many other items for the room are available but only when you request them, I think its part of a green initiative that they do not want to be wasteful.

To continue with the modern art theme, guests of the hotel get a card giving them free entry to one of two modern art museums in the city.

The hotel is about 10 minute walk to the shopping area of Karlsplatz. Around the hotel block you will find internet cafes, plenty of shoe shops, and Turkish restaurants. The main train station opposite also has plenty of places to eat as well as cafes and fast food outlets.

The breakfast was a good spread. Made to order eggs and omelettes, freshly squeezed juices and a range of croissants and pastries. If breakfast is not included with your room then it’s an expensive extra.

We also tried the indoor swimming pool which is heated, good job as it was snowing outside, as well as the Jacuzzi and the sauna room.

The staff was friendly and helpful. We forgot to take our travel adaptor but we could borrow one from the hotel. When we checked out, we could leave our luggage in storage as we had a late plane to catch.

Overall a good quality accommodation, very good breakfast and a very good hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PrestonGuild
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Location---across the HBf---Munich Central Train Station, very handy for travel to--- and from town. Rooms of a good size, rather plush, tea/coffee maker included. Clean bathroom with a standard tab/shower combo and good selection of toiletries. Despite the 3rd floor and a lot of street traffic outside, no street noise (almost) in the room. Exeptional breakfast with a lot of choices, as anticipated. Can't comment on bisness facilities. Price in May 2009 (high season)----520USD ( about 400 euro) for 4 nights----room for 2 with buffet breakfast included---more than reasonable. Overally---very good experience, no problems at all.

• Stayed: May 2009