We recently stayed for 2 nights in a superior room. We arrived at about midday. We expected we may have to wait a couple of hours to check so asked them to look after our bags whilst we go for a walk. The receptionist confirmed our room would be ready in 15 minutes. She invited us to have a complimentary drink at the bar whilst we waited.
Our room was the entry level room. It was very nicely furnished and had a huge bathroom. Overall it was very good size which suited us perfectly as we were not going to spend too much time in it.
The room was on third floor with not much of a view (a multi storey car park on other side of the street). It seems to me that none of the views would be great as it is surrounded by buildings on all sides. Even the tower suites look out onto an intersection which is fine but not particularly attractive. This is a low rise city hotel so if a view is important, try to stay on 6th or 7th floors.
The room had all the amenities I would expect from Mandarin Oriental and more. The free mini-bar was a very nice touch as were the wonderful/plentiful toiletries. At night, they left sample size aromatherapy oils on the pillow – perfect for a late night bath in the marble bathroom which came equipped with a flat screen TV.
Bang & Olufson TV and stereo and Bose iPod docking station - a definite nod to the 5* experience.
The staff were fantastic, getting to know our names very quickly. They know the city well, recommended excellent restaurants and bars.
The hotel also have bicycles which are complimentary to guests. We had a wonderful time cycling around the city which is mostly flat and very cyclist friendly. I am not a confident cyclist and had no trouble at all. They even supplied a cycle map with 3 different suggested routes.
The bar service was exceptional. The staff very attentive and the drinks superb.
Breakfast was a mix of continental buffet and hot items to order from the menu. Again, 5* service and food.
The pool area is very limited but the views are spectacular. For a city hotel, they have made the best of the limited space they have. The China Moon bar on the roof is wonderful and the food is very good too.
The new fitness centre is on ground floor and was only built a few months ago. It is incredibly stylish and well fitted out. However, this gives rise to the only negative I can think of about this hotel. The sauna/steam room and fitness centre are just off the lobby. There are no changing facilities which means you have to go down to it and walk though the lobby in a bath robe which seems a little odd but when you see how restricted the hotel in terms of space, it is understandable. It did not stop me using it but I did feel a bit odd walking past the bell boys and several other guest who were checking in/out in a bathrobe and pair of slippers.
Overall, this is a beautiful hotel and if visiting Munich again, I would not hesitate to stay there again. It is super luxurious and most of all, they have the got the service so right, I really did not want to leave.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quietly tucked away in a side street, yet centrally located near the famed Maximilianstrasse, Mandarin Oriental, Munich is an elegant gem of Neo-Renaissance charm, providing the highest levels of personalised service in the city and award-winning restaurant and bars. The newly refurbished 48 spacious rooms and 25 suites offer the finest in contemporary luxury and, along with the stunning roof-top pool, feature views that stretch across the picturesque surroundings of the old town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Travelbag, Agoda, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Munich reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental Munich Hotel Munich
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Munich
- Mandarin Munich
- Munich Mandarin Oriental