“Fabulous!”

Mandarin Oriental, Munich
Ranked #5 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We recently stayed for 2 nights in a superior room. We arrived at about midday. We expected we may have to wait a couple of hours to check so asked them to look after our bags whilst we go for a walk. The receptionist confirmed our room would be ready in 15 minutes. She invited us to have a complimentary drink at the bar whilst we waited.

Our room was the entry level room. It was very nicely furnished and had a huge bathroom. Overall it was very good size which suited us perfectly as we were not going to spend too much time in it.

The room was on third floor with not much of a view (a multi storey car park on other side of the street). It seems to me that none of the views would be great as it is surrounded by buildings on all sides. Even the tower suites look out onto an intersection which is fine but not particularly attractive. This is a low rise city hotel so if a view is important, try to stay on 6th or 7th floors.

The room had all the amenities I would expect from Mandarin Oriental and more. The free mini-bar was a very nice touch as were the wonderful/plentiful toiletries. At night, they left sample size aromatherapy oils on the pillow – perfect for a late night bath in the marble bathroom which came equipped with a flat screen TV.

Bang & Olufson TV and stereo and Bose iPod docking station - a definite nod to the 5* experience.

The staff were fantastic, getting to know our names very quickly. They know the city well, recommended excellent restaurants and bars.

The hotel also have bicycles which are complimentary to guests. We had a wonderful time cycling around the city which is mostly flat and very cyclist friendly. I am not a confident cyclist and had no trouble at all. They even supplied a cycle map with 3 different suggested routes.

The bar service was exceptional. The staff very attentive and the drinks superb.

Breakfast was a mix of continental buffet and hot items to order from the menu. Again, 5* service and food.

The pool area is very limited but the views are spectacular. For a city hotel, they have made the best of the limited space they have. The China Moon bar on the roof is wonderful and the food is very good too.

The new fitness centre is on ground floor and was only built a few months ago. It is incredibly stylish and well fitted out. However, this gives rise to the only negative I can think of about this hotel. The sauna/steam room and fitness centre are just off the lobby. There are no changing facilities which means you have to go down to it and walk though the lobby in a bath robe which seems a little odd but when you see how restricted the hotel in terms of space, it is understandable. It did not stop me using it but I did feel a bit odd walking past the bell boys and several other guest who were checking in/out in a bathrobe and pair of slippers.

Overall, this is a beautiful hotel and if visiting Munich again, I would not hesitate to stay there again. It is super luxurious and most of all, they have the got the service so right, I really did not want to leave.

Room Tip: High floor if a view is important.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brum74

Reviewed 9 May 2012

Well I had an enjoyable time in Munich I was with my husband who was on business and I had the most enjoyable stay loved the cit and in truth stayed at the hotel most of the time because it was so lovely and I was so well cared for

Top marks for Mandarin Oriental – you know how to do it

Room Tip: think they are all good room pool great the best
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My wife and I travel a great deal and try to stay in the best hotels available in cities visited. We enjoy the Mandarin chain so it was obvious to book our three night stay in Munich at their hotel in this most elegant city. We arrived before normal check in time and were told that our room would be ready in a few minutes and were offered complimentary champagne in their most comfortable lounge. All their staff could not have been more helpful and our room left nothing to be desired. We dined in their Michelin starred restaurant, Mark's and were not disappointed. The hotel's position was in the middle of all the shopping and sightseeing areas, the famous Hofbrauhaus was virtually next door and was a not to be missed attraction. The bed linen was perhaps the finest I have ever slept between. I look forward to my return visit.
John Pond, Sydney, Australia.

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are great. Views are unimportant as the room decor is so good.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnpond
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

Intimate hotel with only 72 rooms in the middle of everything with incredible service and deluxe, world-class accommodations,

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 20 April 2012

The Mandarin Oriental in Munich is one of those very rare places, where I can truly say that I feel home the minute I arrive. I spend 200 nights a year in hotels and live in Asia, where hotel and service standards are hard to match in the West.

The location is unbeatable, the hardware is great (having been a former boutique hotel called Rafael, created by Hotel Veteran Georg Rafael (Regent, Amanda Resorts)), but what makes this place special is its people. True professionals, some of the best in the business, who make you feel welcome the moment you arrive. Attention to detail and personal needs is unrivaled, all handled with this rare gift of always being there when needed, yet discreet in the background at the same time. And many of those people have been there for years!

Possibly the best Mandarin Oriental in the world that manages to retain its Bavarian Roots with the great values and attributes of Mandarin
Oriental on top! The best hotel in Munich, in Germany and amongst the best in the world!

Can't wait to stay there again in the summer!

• Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank HappyinKL
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed for four nights with my husband , and loved everything about it .
We were upgraded to a sweet and was wonderful.

Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 2 April 2012

And I love it. This is the third time I stay. All the rooms are extremely comfortable. They never miss a detail. The new gym is fantastic. Several great cardio machines with Ipod docking and tv options. The staff is fantastisc. They all use your name, and they are so friendly. Often in these super luxury hotels the service can be a bit stuffy, but not in MO Munich. This is simply a bloody good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business