“perfect, gorgeous hotel”

Ranked #3 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“perfect, gorgeous hotel”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

The Mandarin Oriental Munich was a perfect hotel. It was impeccably clean, had a perfect location next to the beer hall, service was impeccable, rooms were gorgeous and modern, with hardwood floors throughout. The coolest thing about this hotel was the really cool rooftop pool with an amazing view of Munich from the top. The rooftop bar/restaurant was really nice, but our favorite restaurant was the breakfast buffet we had every morning there. It was very elegant with many choices, and my teen son and I loved it. I got the chance to travel alone with him and we couldn't have picked a better hotel. I would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My wife and I had a fabulous stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Munich (May 24- May 26, 2012). I’ve stayed at many five-star properties all over the world from the Four Seasons to the Ritz Carlton, among others. That being said I’ve never felt more special in any other hotel. This was with out a doubt the most incredible service and attention that I’ve ever received. From the moment I arrived everyone seemed to know my name and we were treated with the highest degree of respect and courtesy. No request was denied and I felt as though I was the only guest in the entire hotel. I actually received two hand written notes welcoming me within the first 3 hours. The bell staff/ valet parking, reception / front desk, concierge, management and house keeping all were top notch. I hope that the staff may read this and know that they are really so special and I thank them for making my trip so amazing. I want to give a special thank you to the concierge guys: Sotirios, Dominick, Dario. As well as the bell men who had to carry all our heavy bags but did so much more from helping me park to giving me bottles of water when I came and went as well as assisting us with borrowing the hotel bicycles. I also want to thank Julia Klotzbucher, Assistant Front Desk Manager who escorted us to our room and also gave us an amazing personal card as well. Additionally, Jan Hollander from housekeeping who helped us look for our passport after we checked out (when we thought it was forgotten it was later found in the seat of our car) Jan, went so far as to provide additional directions to Castle Neuschwanstien including information about time and expected traffic. He emailed this information to our next hotel so we would have it. It was a funny thing when I asked the new hotel (Alpenhof Murnau – another very nice hotel) for information on the castle and they informed me that my last hotel had emailed them and left detailed instructions for the hotel to print out and give to us. Just another example of every single person on the staff at the Mandarin Oriental, Munich going above and beyond to make their guests 100% satisfied. Truthfully, I’m so much more then 100% satisfied; I can’t even express in words how special they have made us feel. This experience was so fantastic I’m going to stay at another Mandarin Oriental on my next trip anywhere. The last thing I want to mention was that I had a regular room, just a room, not a suite or anything outlandish. I was treated like I rented the entire hotel and I really don’t know how they did it, how they could have so much attention to detail and such a high level of service to just a regular paying couple. The General Manager at the hotel, Mr. Lars Wagner (who wrote my first personal card) must be commended for this amazing team effort. I didn’t get to personally meet all of his management staff but they are an incrediable team. Thank you for all that you have done. If anyone is going to Munich for any reason or the BMW European Delivery Program and would like to ask me for more info I would love to tell you about what a great hotel this is. Feel free to email me at seanradin@gmail.com
Bottom line this stay was simply the best experience we’ve ever had.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank seanr47
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Our room was super high-tech: we still didn't know what some of the switches did before we checked out! But one of them raised and lowered the blinds on the windows, which was AWESOME! You could even do it while sitting snugly in bed. Want some bright morning light? Simple, just open the drawer in the bedside table and flip a switch. However, things were a little TOO complicated when I couldn't figure out which switch turned off the dim background lighting in the middle of the night when I woke up. Luckily we had stayed up so long the day before that I was exhausted enough to sleep through it. :)

We booked through a travel agent and were upgraded to a room on the top floor with sloped ceilings on one side - nice dormer windows allowed you to look out over the city, even from the bathroom! Amazing views, and an amazing room. Super comfortable bed gave me one of the best nights of sleep I've ever had. Room service breakfast in the morning was one of the best I'd ever had: basket of fresh breads (pretzels, doughnut, croissant, whole grain bread) with jams, carafe of coffee with hot milk, eggs benedict with veggies on the side, and scrambled eggs. Oh, and a nice big bottle of Evian. Very nice. This was the perfect jetlag cure!

If you think you'll have a problem with stairs, definitely don't stay on the top floor. We were OK, but you have to take the elevator to the floor below and then go up a flight of stairs. Our bags were whisked up for us, so we didn't have to worry about lugging those up a flight of stairs.

Since it was our anniversary, a delicious chocolate mousse cake was left in our room along with turndown service - nice touches like this make me really feel appreciated as a guest in a small hotel like this.

The only real issues I had with my stay were a poorly-draining shower causing an unpleasant pool of water while I showered, and forgotten items requested from the front desk (ice one night, newspaper the following morning). When you're paying this much every night for the top hotel in the city, nothing should be broken, and nothing should be forgotten. I only splurge a few nights each year on a hotel of this caliber, and when I do, I want to feel that it's worth 100% of what I'm paying. In this case, I'd put it around 90% .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stefohnee
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We arrived early and while our bags were efficiently whisked away we were escorted to a very comfortable lounge area with several staff members who seemed to waiting just for us. Drinks and snacks arrived within moments and our pampered stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Munich had begun. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed with a comfortable couch, desk area, comfortable stuffed chairs and very comfortable bed. The bathroom was larger than some apartments I've lived in during younger days. Our stay in Munich was a whirlwind affair and we did not have a chance to enjoy the restaurant but we did have room service breakfast several times and it was on time, fresh, hot and delicious. Very close to main train station and numerous Munich attractions. This hotel is top of the line in every way and I will be back.

Room Tip: Upper floor old town view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Birmingham
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We recently stayed for 2 nights in a superior room. We arrived at about midday. We expected we may have to wait a couple of hours to check so asked them to look after our bags whilst we go for a walk. The receptionist confirmed our room would be ready in 15 minutes. She invited us to have a complimentary drink at the bar whilst we waited.

Our room was the entry level room. It was very nicely furnished and had a huge bathroom. Overall it was very good size which suited us perfectly as we were not going to spend too much time in it.

The room was on third floor with not much of a view (a multi storey car park on other side of the street). It seems to me that none of the views would be great as it is surrounded by buildings on all sides. Even the tower suites look out onto an intersection which is fine but not particularly attractive. This is a low rise city hotel so if a view is important, try to stay on 6th or 7th floors.

The room had all the amenities I would expect from Mandarin Oriental and more. The free mini-bar was a very nice touch as were the wonderful/plentiful toiletries. At night, they left sample size aromatherapy oils on the pillow – perfect for a late night bath in the marble bathroom which came equipped with a flat screen TV.

Bang & Olufson TV and stereo and Bose iPod docking station - a definite nod to the 5* experience.

The staff were fantastic, getting to know our names very quickly. They know the city well, recommended excellent restaurants and bars.

The hotel also have bicycles which are complimentary to guests. We had a wonderful time cycling around the city which is mostly flat and very cyclist friendly. I am not a confident cyclist and had no trouble at all. They even supplied a cycle map with 3 different suggested routes.

The bar service was exceptional. The staff very attentive and the drinks superb.

Breakfast was a mix of continental buffet and hot items to order from the menu. Again, 5* service and food.

The pool area is very limited but the views are spectacular. For a city hotel, they have made the best of the limited space they have. The China Moon bar on the roof is wonderful and the food is very good too.

The new fitness centre is on ground floor and was only built a few months ago. It is incredibly stylish and well fitted out. However, this gives rise to the only negative I can think of about this hotel. The sauna/steam room and fitness centre are just off the lobby. There are no changing facilities which means you have to go down to it and walk though the lobby in a bath robe which seems a little odd but when you see how restricted the hotel in terms of space, it is understandable. It did not stop me using it but I did feel a bit odd walking past the bell boys and several other guest who were checking in/out in a bathrobe and pair of slippers.

Overall, this is a beautiful hotel and if visiting Munich again, I would not hesitate to stay there again. It is super luxurious and most of all, they have the got the service so right, I really did not want to leave.

Room Tip: High floor if a view is important.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brum74
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Well I had an enjoyable time in Munich I was with my husband who was on business and I had the most enjoyable stay loved the cit and in truth stayed at the hotel most of the time because it was so lovely and I was so well cared for

Top marks for Mandarin Oriental – you know how to do it

Room Tip: think they are all good room pool great the best
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My wife and I travel a great deal and try to stay in the best hotels available in cities visited. We enjoy the Mandarin chain so it was obvious to book our three night stay in Munich at their hotel in this most elegant city. We arrived before normal check in time and were told that our room would be ready in a few minutes and were offered complimentary champagne in their most comfortable lounge. All their staff could not have been more helpful and our room left nothing to be desired. We dined in their Michelin starred restaurant, Mark's and were not disappointed. The hotel's position was in the middle of all the shopping and sightseeing areas, the famous Hofbrauhaus was virtually next door and was a not to be missed attraction. The bed linen was perhaps the finest I have ever slept between. I look forward to my return visit.
John Pond, Sydney, Australia.

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are great. Views are unimportant as the room decor is so good.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple