“Top Class Hotel with Stunning Roof Top Bar & Pool”

Ranked #3 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Dublin Ireland
“Top Class Hotel with Stunning Roof Top Bar & Pool”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here over the weekend with my son. It was a wonderful experience. We had come to Munich to see Bayern Munich Play the first football game of the Season at the Allianz Arena. We were made feel incredibly welcome by the staff as soon as we arrived. Check in was effortless and when we got to the room the hotel had little presents for me and my son; a Bayern Munich scarf each. We were thrilled with that and these are the little touches which set a hotel like this apart from others.

The room was perhaps smaller than I expected (given the price) though it was a lovely room. Really comfortable beds with fantastically luxurious duvets and soft pillows. My son wanted to take the bed clothes home with him they were that good!

Bathroom was in marble with a lovely bath overlooking Munich and a large walk in shower. Top class.

Breakfast was excellent though given the price of the room it is something which I feel should be included. €42 for an adult is a lot for breakfast!

We took up the option of the free bikes and this is something I'd strongly recommend. The hotel is only a 5 minute cyle to the Englisher Garten where there are lots of great bike trails plus some great beer gardens for a quick pit stop!

Undoubtably though the highlight of the hotel is the roof top bar and pool. My son and I really loved it and the pool though small has the best view I've had from any pool. Stunning. The bar is pretty cool too and a great place to have a drink or a bite to eat. The house curries look delicious and not too expensive given the location.

If you want a wonderful hotel for a special occasion I'd recommend it 100%.

One small gripe- Wifi is not free and costs €18 a day. For the price of the room I think this should be included.

Room Tip: Avoid floor 6 as rooms there are built into roof and have velux style windows. The rooms on floors b...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bambergfan
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear bambergfan,
Thank you for taking time to write these fantastic comments on Trip Advisor. Your comments make us very happy.
We are delighted to hear that you and your son enjoyed the stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich and that your son loved especially the “bed clothes”. 
Thank you for your positive feedback about our China Moon roof terrace and the pool area.
How wonderful to hear that you had a pleasant bike tour through Munich.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you again soon. Maybe for the next football match at the Allianz Arena?
Kind regards,
Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Very nice situated Hotel, just 3 min. walking distance to the city center "Marienplatz" and 2 min. walking distance to the famous shopping boulevard "Maximilianstraße".

Entering the Hotel you are heartly welcomed by the concierge service and the doormen, who will take care of all arrangements regarding car and luggage. Rooms are cozy and generous equiped. The bed is soft and comfortable, only minus here is the gash between the two beds moved together as a single kingsize bed, but just ask for the housekeeping service and they immediate take care and fill the bed with some sort of additional mattress.

Service during breakfast is warm and caring and quality of food and beverages is excellent.
Very relaxing and hot (we had 36°C) stay, we will certainly return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank N B
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear N B,
Thank you for taking time and write these fantastic comments on Trip Advisor. Your comments make us very happy.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your “hot stay” in Munich and it will be a pleasure to welcome you again soon to the Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
Kind regards,
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I spend in MO Munich 2 nights and it was like a fairy tale. In all aspects perfect: service (- not just till check out, but till the departure), comfort, food, super clean and calm...the best experience I have ever got in the hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Romana E
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Romana E,
Thank you very much for this great comment on Trip Advisor.
On behalf of the team, I would like to let you know how much we all appreciate your praise.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich and look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

The friendly and efficient staff solved a booking problem I had at other hotel after a long flight which arrived very late to Munich the day Bayern played Barcelona. The room I was given was a great suite accompanied by a late check out. For Lunch, drinks & view the rooftop bar is just spectacular.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CARLOS R
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Carlos R,
We are delighted to learn how much you appreciated your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich and on behalf of my team, I would like to thank you for sharing such fantastic comments about the hotel and the China Moon Roof Terrace on Trip Advisor.
It will be a pleasure to welcoming you again in our hotel. Maybe for the next football match?
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two non-consecutive nights the week of July 8. The first day we were able to check in at 11 am, which was wonderful as we were exhausted from our 9 hour flight from Chicago. The room was spacious and extremely clean (as it should be for the price you're paying). The bathrooms are fairly large with nice amenities. I found the front desk staff very friendly and helpful. The service in the restaurant at breakfast was phenomenal. Our server, Mikal, was one of the nicest, sweetest, and cultured people my daughter and I have had the pleasure of meeting. She was so attentive and gracious with us. She made our day and we will never forget her kindness.
A few days later we returned to the Mandarin Oriental. We were extremely tired from our train ride from Vienna( which was delayed 2 hours) and not feeling well having gotten food poisoning there.
We checked in at 8:30pm and again was pleasant. I told the lady at check in that we were tired and not feeling well and we were looking forward to a restful sleep, just like our first night here. However, the room we were put in was horrid. It was small, dark, noisy and unpleasant. We had to be up early to catch our flight back to Chicago. We tried to go to sleep at 9:30pm. Luckily my daughter fell asleep, however, for 2 hours straight I heard all sorts of banging, clatter, people talking and lots of foot traffic in the hallway. When I called the front desk to inquire about the noise, I was told we were below the rooftop cafe and they were putting chairs and tables away. The gentlemen on the phone apologized, and I eventually had to wake up my sleeping daughter to switch rooms because the noise was unbearable! This is not pleasant to do at midnight! Especially when you have to wake up at 6:30 in the morning to catch a 10 hour flight the next day! This is totally unacceptable for a 5 star hotel and for the type of money we paid! I was not happy and I still feel badly that I had to wake up my daughter and move rooms in the middle of the night! For the amount of money we paid, this should not have happened. For the record, we booked the same type of room and paid the same price as the first night we stayed there. We booked through the Mandarin Oriental website.
I did not sleep the whole night, and nothing else was done about this horrid situation. The front desk staff didn't even apologize upon checkout. They could have at least offered something for the extreme disruption and moving of rooms at midnight. I am not happy about the way this situation was handled. This is not right, as I was very happy the first night there, but obviously not the second night.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank H D
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear H D,
I thank you for having taken the time to share with us your experience on your two stays at our hotel. I am thrilled to hear that your first stay was pleasant and memorable. On the other hand I am very disappointed that your second night was so unpleasant. I completely understand your irritation and I am very sorry that your sleep was disturbed. Please accept my apologies and I hope that this incident has not tarnished your image of Mandarin Oriental, Munich. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.
Wolfgang Greiner,
General Manager,
Reviewed 20 July 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our first stay at a Mandarin property. The hotel is centrally located, our room was spacious and the staff was wonderful. We especially enjoyed our afternoon conversations with Hannes in the lobby bar after a long day of touring the city and our fun nights sitting at the rooftop bar with Sebastien and his fun staff!! They all made our trip special and we look forward to visiting again!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GRTadewald
Dear GRTadewald,
First of all we want to say thank you for sharing such positive comments on Trip Advisor. We are happy to hear that you had a good time in Munich and especially at the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. We have forwarded your compliments to our China Moon Roof Terrace Manager Sebastian Walther and to our Assistant Bar Manager Hannes Altenburg. It will be a pleasure to welcoming you and your husband again in our hotel in the near future.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 16 July 2013

It is a nice hotel. It has a small, but well equipped 24 exercise room on the ground floor. The staff were helpful, and nice. The room was decent, but not exceptional. The television didn't have on demand movies or anything like that. So for the most part there was nothing to complain about. They did forget to deliver coffee very early on the morning when I needed to leave early to catch a flight as I had ordered the night before. That was annoying, but not a huge problem.

I would add that there was nothing all that exceptional about the hotel either. It was a good place to come for business. Given a choice between the Mandarin and the Kempinski, especially if you get one the newer rooms, I would choose the Kempinski. The only down side to the Kempinski is that their exercise room isn't open 24 hours a day.

Room Tip: I had one of the rooms on the top floor facing the street. The elevator doesn't go to the top fl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Maxsar911
Dear Maxsar911,
We are delighted to hear, that you like our exercise room and its opening hours.
Our hotel provides a huge selection of DVDs for our guests. A list is places in each guest room and our concierge will deliver the DVD to the room.
I apologize that the ordered coffee was not served on time.
Thank you very much for your comments on Trip Advisor and looking forward to welcoming you again at Mandarin Oriental, Munich.