Firstly, this is a hotel/hotel chain that prides so much in it's excellent service.
We should have had a clue about this excellence by slow email correspondence, not answering exact questions etc. We had only one specific request and it wasn't fulfilled.
To be more specific, it was important for us to have a room with good radiator central heating, and that was one of the reasons for choosing this hotel. On arrival we were shown to a room without working heating, instead electric radiator was brought. (Well, if this was a 2 star hotel, it would have been okay.) This was followed by a complicated explanations that this is the case for every room, that it is just air-conditioning hotel and that it will start working eventually, that it's maybe not working only in that specific room, that it will be repaired.... Than, we were offered drinks while they tried, but didn't repair it, calling us to see are we satisfied with heating not still working, etc.
At this point, a manager on duty showed up. She was polite and professional, offered us another room and the problem was solved. All in order, heating working without a problem. They did apologize with a note, but when you spend first couple of hours dealing with trivialities like this, excellence is last thing on your mind.
The rest of the stay went all right, everybody were polite, big smiles and everything, apart from the fact that concierge gave us the information of Neuschweinstain castle working on a day that it was closed... good thing we checked again on internet.
Our new room was spacious, clean and modern , the location is excellent, breakfast also, food at the restaurant very good. Still, I think it is overpriced, a bit snobbish, and with inadequate service for a 5 star establishment. Managers on duty were always professional and with precise information, so if you have requests or problems, I suggest you speak directly to them.
In conclusion, I have to say that for me good service doesn't have to include fake smiles, "remembering my name" and small talk. It may be a personal preference, but straightforward, professional approach, and genuinely nice people are what makes a hotel excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quietly tucked away in a side street, yet centrally located near the famed Maximilianstrasse, Mandarin Oriental, Munich is an elegant gem of Neo-Renaissance charm, providing the highest levels of personalised service in the city and award-winning restaurant and bars. The newly refurbished 48 spacious rooms and 25 suites offer the finest in contemporary luxury and, along with the stunning roof-top pool, feature views that stretch across the picturesque surroundings of the old town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Prestigia, Agoda, TravelUp, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Munich reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental Munich Hotel Munich
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Munich
- Mandarin Munich
- Munich Mandarin Oriental