“Charming”

Ranked #3 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Chicago, Illinois
“Charming”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I loved this hotel. The service was friendly and sincere. Concierge helpful with my opera ticket request. The room so clean. Bed so comfy. Location perfect. My first experience of a MO hotel. I can honestly say that the hotel staff could not have been more accommodating.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a view of the really ugly car park.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
MOMUCMunich, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear 4seasons5,
I am thrilled to learn that you love Mandarin Oriental, Munich and had a wonderful stay. It is a pleasure to share your marvelous comment with my team. We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel or any other Mandarin Oriental hotels.
Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

This was our first experience at a Mandarin Oriental hotel and we must say, we were not impressed. TripAdvisor lists this hotel as the number one luxury hotel in Munich. From our experience, the hotel is overrated.

The details and amenities are nice (e.g., free minibar, Bose iPod speaker dock and Bang & Olufsen television), but they didn't work half of the time. Apparently, we needed a degree in electrical engineering to figure out how the light switches worked and which switches controlled the television - yes, in order for the TV to operate properly, we had to turn on a light switch!

The day to day service and attention to detail was great, until we left for the airport. We pre-booked and pre-paid for a luxury car with the hotel Concierge to transport us from the hotel to the airport. When we left the hotel, we were met by a Volkswagen taxi who had apparently been arranged by the hotel - hardly a luxury car.

With this being the most expensive hotel on our weeklong vacation (compared to the Four Seasons in Budapest and the Ritz Carlton in Vienna), I am hard-pressed to say that "it was worth it." Find luxury elsewhere!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ELKaine
MOMUCMunich, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear ELKaine,
First of all I would like to take this opportunity and thank you for your positive comments in regards to our amenities and the “great service” you received during your recent stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. Please allow me as well to respond to your more critical comments. In regards to our light switches, I would like to inform you that we have deliberately made a decision during our last renovation program to continue with an “old fashioned technology” of regular light switches and have not implemented panels or electronic light control systems like many other hotels in order to ensure a convenient operation for our guests. Having read your comment it seems that the television has been plugged in by accident to the wrong plug next to the desk which can be operated from the bedside in order to ensure the convenience for our guests to switch of all lights in the room from the bedside panel. Our housekeeping staff is trained to ensure the plugs are connected to the right outlets and I am very sorry that we obviously were not aware of this fact, which could have been solved in a second to ensure a convenient operation of the TV. In addition, I am sad to learn that the transportation to the airport tarnished your experience at the Mandarin Oriental Munich and triggered an unusual low rating for our property on the Trip Advisor platform. I certainly did research with our concierge desk and learned that we have arranged a taxi on your request. It is correct that the arranged taxi was a VW Phaeton, which is actually a very similar car as an Audi A8. I do not want to get into any arguing towards German luxury cars and their perception of but would like to let you know that we are very sorry, that we obviously did not meet your expectations with the taxi arrangement. Considering that we do have a wonderful limousine service in house, which uses Mercedes S-class and BMW 7 series limousines, I do believe that we could have definitely met your expectations with a different service alternative. Dear ELKaine, I sincerely hope you will give us or any of our sister properties the opportunity to prove our legendary renowned hospitality and hope to be able and welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Munich some day in the future.
Seattle
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is one of the easiest reviews that I have every writen. Simple put, the Mandarin Oriental in Munich is the best hotel I have every stayed at in all of my travels! Starting from the hired car that picked us up from the airport (a MB 500S) that called ahead to let the hotel know we were arriving. Greeted at the door and taken directly to our room to register with a complimentary upgrade to a “Tower Suite”. Beautiful spacious suite with expansive view of the city. The spring rolls and fried shrimp were without compare for such “simple” fare that we had with our complimentary welcome drink. The staff were able to get us into a fully booked, and wonderful, local restaurant for dinner and assisted us in last minute changes to our travel plans and secured a room in Frankfurt the next night. The Mandarin Oriental is now at the top of my list for lodging in any city they have a property!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohnASeattle
Dear JohnASeat,
Many thanks for this wonderful praise and for taking the time to share your comments. It is our pleasure to satisfy our guests and even to surprise them. I am happy that you appreciated our high service standards including the comfortable limousine service. Thank you for being a true FAN of Mandarin Oriental. We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you at our hotel or any other Mandarin Oriental hotels in the world.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Have stayed here a few times and it has never been anything but excellent. The attentiveness and friendliness of the staff from check-in, concierge, at the restaurant etc is one of the many small things that makes one stay memorable. I have recommended this hotel to friends/business colleagues and those that have stayed have had similar experiences. One of the best hotels in the Mandarin Oriental portfolio.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Sagittari ..,
I thank you for your nice comments and I am happy that you appreciate our high service standards.
Thank you for being a true FAN and for recommending Mandarin Oriental, Munich to your friends and business colleagues. We are looking forward to your return visit in the near future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

You pay for what you get, boy do you pay, but boy you get what you pay for! The Staff are some of the best I have come across in all my travelling years and the whole atmosphere of the hotel is first class. Dinner was pricey, but again you pays your money and we had a flawless meal with great attention from the staff and excellant wine recommended by the head chappie.
I notice the complaint about the price of the breakfast. 44 euros takes some explaining and if you just want a coffee and bread and cheese it is all the more galling. The breakfast was fine but that is why I gave it a poor rating because of the price.
Would certainly go back at any time but take a packed meal for the morning! Well done anyway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank captainzoom0
Dear captainzo ...
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with TripAdvisor readers. We are delighted that you appreciated our services and the food quality. May I explain the price for the breakfast? Our Mandarin Breakfast at 44 EUR includes not only bread and jam but also egg dishes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, cheese, cold cut, salmon, sausages, pancakes, freshly squeezed fruit juices and champagne. For the little hunger we offer as well Continental Breakfast or à la carte breakfast. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
Whittier, California
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My fiancé and I recently stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Munich. I had been there once before about 10 years ago and was so impressed with it that I booked our stay there once again. I was not dissatisfied with my choice.

The hotel is very nice and the accommodations were great. Mostly however, the staff is what made it most enjoyable They are all very accommodating, knowledgeable, helpful and courteous.

This is a top notch hotel in the best part of Munich that I would happily recommend to my friends who might be considering a trip to Munich.

It is not inexpensive to be sure but worth the price for value received.

Room Tip: Stay at this hotel. great location and staff. Superb hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas S
Dear Thomas S,
Many thanks for your kind words and choosing again Mandarin Oriental, Munich for your stay in our town. We are delighted to learn that we have met your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you again on the occasion of your next visit to Bavaria.
England.
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Excellence comes at a price: £432 for room only, for three nights. The evening meal at Marks - flawless - was £600 for four of us. So why torture guests with a £40 price tag for breakfast? That's more than I paid for my first car!! It almost put us off our scrambled egg. There are some prices which are acceptable in the scheme of first-class luxury, superbly equipped rooms, and top-class staff who combine slick German efficiency with warmth and humour. But the forty quid a head for a simple breakfast had us scuttling away on the other two mornings to eat perfectly happily in a friendly cafe a few hundred yards from this hotel in the heart of Munich. Another moan among the pleasure: a charge for wifi. Come on. This is a five star international hotel. You don't need to squeeze 18 Euros out of guests for 24 hours to check their messages. But otherwise one of the great hotels and outstanding at (almost) every turn.

Room Tip: We had room 510 - light, quiet with good views across the beer garden next door. But all looked goo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank layaboutEngland_
Dear layaboutE ...
Thank you for taking your time to share your impressions on your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
Please allow me to clarify the price for the breakfast. Our Mandarin Breakfast at 44 EUR includes beside bread, croissants, Danish pastries, jam and cheese also egg dishes, cereals, fresh fruit, cold cut, salmon, sausages, freshly squeezed fruit juices, champagne, pancakes. Alternatively we offer Continental Breakfast at 27 EUR for the little hunger. In regards to internet I would like to inform you that you receive complimentary high speed internet when booking a published rate on our website and creating an online profile. In addition, our Suite Package includes free internet. My team and I are looking forward to your return visit to our hotel in the near future.