“best bed in Europe”

Mandarin Oriental, Munich
Ranked #5 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 4 July 2010

This hotel is #1 in Munich for a reason, everything about it was superb. Beds reminded me of home, 1000 thread count, pillows to die for, rooms were exceptional, service was great. Stayed at the charles last time and this hotel was better all around. Location couldn't be better,

Stay there for sure, wives you will love the beds. Also all of the best shopping is right around the corner, if you like indian food do swagat, amazing food.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 June 2010

I am staying in the hotel tonight and purchased their business package with offers an upgrade. The problem is the upgrade is to a room with no view and very dark small windows. Not sure what the point of upgrading is if the room is worse than the one you paid for. For $720 a room should not be so dark, expecially when I requested a very bright room.

I asked for an alternative and was told that I could have one for 200 EUR more to the next category. Seems rude to ask for that kind of money when I was not happy in the room provided to me.

Next time I will stay in the Kempinski which has a much nicer lobby.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank NormalGuest
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2010

Dear NormalGuest,

After having read your note about Mandarin Oriental, Munich on TripAdvisor, please allow me to inform you that we have critically acknowledged and appreciated your observations as well as concerns experienced during your stay on 30th June 2010. I apologize if we did not meet your expectations. We tried to contact you via email and on your cell phone but to no avail, hence, please find below our (delayed) explanations to your concerns raised that we take very seriously and to heart:

First of all, please allow me to reassure you that the room you stayed in, a Junior Suite, included the upgrade from your originally booked Exclusive Room, as granted in our Business Plus Package. The category usually refers to the size of our rooms and suites; however, I feel embarrassed that you felt that the larger room was not as comfortable as expected. Especially regarding your preference of a very bright room, I feel very sorry that the provided upgrade did not accomplish its purpose.

A further upgrade to a Junior Suite Superior from the regular Junior Suite you were upgraded to is priced ?400 more than your original rate. I understand that my front office colleague offered you this upgrade for a discounted ?200 but this was declined by yourself.

Please rest assured that I have personally spoken to my colleagues at the Front Desk, in order to prevent the reoccurrence of incidents of such nature. Mandarin Oriental, Munich's expectations towards itself are to fully satisfy its guest and even exceed highest expectations while providing a delightful experience.

Dear NormalGuest, if you would like me to give you a call in order to share your valuable information once more, please let me know when it is most convenient for you to talk, and I am more than happy to call you. Furthermore, I would be grateful if you give us the chance to redeem ourselves and make us prove we can provide you with a truly memorable stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich.

I trust that your experience has not tarnished your image of Mandarin Oriental, Munich. May I kindly ask you to make your future reservation through myself, as I would like to personally look after your future bookings.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich and assuring you of our best care and attention, I remain

With kind regards,

Lars Wagner

Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Reviewed 14 May 2010

This is without doubt the best hotel in Munich. We stayed here for 2 days and were more than pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a junior suite on the 3rd floor, it had high windows and being a corner room had an extra window on the side which made the room really bright.

The suite itself was clean, had a separate dressing area and a massive bathroom. There were no faults in the decoration and there was a fruit plate to greet us when we stepped into the room.

This is the 3rd Mandarin Oriental I have stayed in, there is a consistent high quality and classy feel in each of them we have stayed in. Being so small [about 70+ rooms] but perfectly located I thought they would not have all the amenities of a larger hotel but I was wrong. The only thing it did not have was a wellness centre, they do however have an arrangement with a local spa with which they will be happy to arrange appointments for you. The entrance fee to the spa will not be comped though.

There were a couple of restaurants and bars, my favourite being the rooftop which allows you a 360 degree view of Munich, there is a heated pool on the top too.

Breakfast was great, a buffet which was sufficient and tidy. The michelin starred restaurant Marks felt a little rushed if you are on a 3 course deal but the food was superb.

Overall I would definitely endorse the hotel and the staff who were simply great, you will enjoy the hotel, look out for a good rate.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank avelautham
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Stayed for two nights and was pampered silly. Huge beds, enormous pillows, very spacious junior suite, superb shower, attentive and helpful staff, speedy room service, hundreds of TV channels, top notch location in the hub of things and close to top shops, top restaurants, etc. Only complaint was the small, silly gym (one treadmill, one bike and not much besides) but I did enough walking in the streets not to mind. Was snowing and cold but the rooftop pool deck must be great in summer. No hesitation recommending the place

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Landtheplane
Reviewed 19 April 2010

i have stayed in may five star hotels world wide. this was my first experience in a mandarin hotel and what an experience! everything was personalised .all the staff from the doormen, bar area, bistro, breakfast and by no means last, the front desk are superbly trained. they attended to every need and often anticipated them. the linen in the room is wonderful and the touch of the mini bar and freshly placed fruit on a daily basis was just amazing. i would highly recommend this hotel. the position of the hotel is a few steps from the main street and the market. cant recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank bjkSouthAfrica
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Everything is TOP at the Mandarin Oriental in Munich. From front door, reception, bar, rooms, restaurant and front door again; a big smile, just keep on the good work...
Ingimar Sigurdsson, Iceland

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2010

went on recent spring break. fabulous location and service great. staff friendly and went out of there way to arrange tours etc.. I cannot say enough about there concierge staff person who helped us daily for any need
went to european football match against rival manchester team and had a blast. next to hofbrau house and several great restaurants. must see bmw plant . it is facinating. hotel can loan you a car for a day to do some of this. i was disappointed in marks . this is there 1 star food place. menu was limited and uninspired compared to others.
This place is a great base for touring barveria and is likely amazing during christmas . Munich has much going for it and I would recomend it to any family as there is lots to do.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family