“Best hotel experience of my life”

Ranked #3 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Los Angeles, CA
“Best hotel experience of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

I have stayed at various stunning MO properties around the world and I have to say this is now the one to beat.

I booked via their website into one of their Bed and Breakfast rates in an “Exclusive” room. These larger rooms could accommodate an extra bed for our son. Oddly enough, I couldn’t book two adults and a child via the website so I called the hotel who just said to book the adults and mention my son in the comments. Quirky. The receptionist also said to mention our son’s age because they would have something special for him in the room.

CHECK-IN
Driving to the MO is quite confusing due to a labyrinth of one way streets. I thought I could get us there without the GSP but it got quickly frustrating. Luckily my iPhone finally got us there. My family didn’t know where we were going to stay so my well-traveled husband and son got very excited when we pulled up in front. I got out of the car and the porter asked if I was Mr. *****. LOVE THAT. I had rented a station wagon since we had a year’s worth of luggage: six huge bags and three carry-ons. One porter said he would take care of all the bags while another introduced himself and showed me to the front desk. Three people welcomed us on the way there. Great start so far!

The receptionist helped us quickly and efficiently while being warm and friendly. In a matter of seconds she was done and offered us a welcome drink either in the lobby bar or up at the China Moon rooftop bar. She then escorted us to our room.

THE ROOM
We were all pleasantly surprised at the size of the room even with the extra bed. After having experienced many tiny rooms throughout Europe, this was big. The highlight was the spectacular view out of St. Peter’s Church, the Frauenkirche and the Glockenspiel, Munich’s equivalent of an ocean front room. The room was luxuriously appointed: Bang & Olafsen TV and stereo, super comfy bed, a separate couch and chairs seating area, huge walk-in closet and beautiful marble bathroom with built in LCD TV and the same view out over the city. They had also prepared the room with a plate of chocolate chip cookies, a bouquet of pink roses and a basket of fruit. My husband also couldn’t believe his ears when our guide said that we could help ourselves to the complementary mini-bar! Right on! Having no further questions, she wished us a pleasant stay and was off. As soon as she was gone, my family and I exchanged muted screams and set off to explore our room. This property feels like a boutique hotel as it has only 73 rooms. Not once was I asked my room number. The first time at each part of the hotel a polite “Could I have your name please?” Then with subsequent visits, they always greeted me by name.

WELCOME DRINK ON ROOFTOP BAR
Some travel magazine I read had mentioned that the MO had the BEST rooftop bar anywhere in Munich but I had never made it there. Even at 3:30pm, it was hoping! The Nepalese Ambassador was host a luncheon with about 20 people but there was still plenty of seating. After having endured a LONG winter and almost no spring, we welcomed sitting in the sun. Like most other MOs, the staff are wonderful. We were immediately served a glass of water and given menus. We both ordered signature martinis and our son a virgin mojito. The views from the bar provided us with a 360 degree panorama of Munich. Somehow in my preparations, I had missed the fact that there was also a pool on the roof. My son and I immediately knew what our next activity would be. We were presented with a bill for 49 euros that we signed but I knew that it wouldn’t appear on my final folio.

THE POOL
By the time we made it back to the room, all the bags had been delivered. The room was big enough that it wasn’t crowded AT ALL even with our NINE bags! We quickly changed and went back up to the pool. As soon as we got back up, I was greeted by name and they asked if they could set us up for a swim. The bar is adjacent to the pool but only residents are allowed to go down to the opposite end where all the chaise-lounges were. Our attendant prepared each of our chairs in a manner to the Halekalani in Waikiki. Then he offered the complementary sun lotions, Evian water, juices and fruit. I love a hotel that doesn’t nickel and dime you. There was a small mini-bar that any of us could help ourselves to at any time. There were two other couples sharing the pool area with us. The infinity pool provided the same 360 views of our Munich. My son was the only kid on the whole pool/bar area. So I made sure that we weren’t too loud. I invented a new game called “Whisper Marco Polo”. It was fun but didn’t bother the other guests. It was so wonderful to be relaxing after a hectic month of finishing work, selling many of our possessions and packing up.

Then we returned to the room for a quick nap before dinner. We channel surfed the 265 channels on our TV! It was quite an extensive list of channels from around the world.

We had booked dinner at one of my favorite restaurant in Munich, Rusticana. They serve the best ribs I’ve ever eaten. We pigged out royally. We decided to take the S-bahn back to the hotel instead of the 30 minute walk. Unfortunately, my son’s mobile fell out of his pocket on the train. As we were walking in the hotel, I received two blank texts from the phone. He realized immediately that it was lost. I called the number several times but whomever picked it up didn’t answer.

I called again 20 minutes later and a man answered! He said that his neighbor had brought him the phone because he didn’t know how to operate it. The man gave me his address and we set off to fetch it. After living in Germany these two years, I have to say that the Germans on the whole are some of the most honest people I have ever met. This man buzzed us up to his apartment and happily gave my son his phone back. This just doesn’t happen like this in California.

Just a month ago, I happened to drop my ID badge from work while exiting my car at the supermarket. The worst was I had just wrapped a 50 euro note around it. The next day I went back to the store and they had the ID with the money still on it. Someone found it in the parking lot, turned it in to an employee without taking the money. Then the employee put it in the lost and found without taking the money either. You have to love this level on honesty.

BREAKFAST
Our rate included breakfast either in the Michelin starred “Mark’s Restaurant” or via room service. We chose to go downstairs to experience the restaurant. We thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. The service was top notch. They had a nice buffet out but also offered many freshly prepared items from a menu. After grazing at the fruit bar and smoked fish, I ordered a delicious Eggs Benedict and my son had a waffle. Like before I was presented a bill for 93 euros at the end but I knew that I’d never see those charges.

OUR DAY
Our rate offered a late check-out at 6pm if available but they could only give us until 1pm since another guest was coming into our room later. We spent the rest of the morning back at the pool swimming, relaxing and reading. Some German celebrity was being photographed at the bar and pool which provided my son with some excitement!

Finally at 12:45 we called down for a porter and within three minutes he was at our door. We asked that he store the luggage until our departure at 6pm. The same friendly woman who checked us in also checked us out. Once again she greeted me by name as I walked up.

My son chose to have our last meal at the adjacent Hofbrauhaus. We ate in the outdoor biergarten area next to a charming um-pah-pah combo. The rest of the afternoon was spent at the Munich Zoo.

Finally at 6pm, we arrived back at the hotel. I went to arrange the bags and car while my husband needed to buy a stamp for a postcard. He found me saying “WHAT KIND OF HOTEL IS THIS?!?!? THEY DON’T EVEN SELL STAMPS!!” Then he added, “They simply offered to mail it for me!”

The nicest surprise was when I asked for our car to be brought around and our bags to be retrieved form storage, the porter simply said “Mr. *****, we have taken care of everything and your car is waiting at the curb with all the bags loaded.” Then he handed all three of us cold Evian waters and escorted us out. He checked that all the bags had been loaded and once we were inside insisted on taking an old empty bottle in the cup holder. This kind of service is not in any employee manual. We left giggling at the outstanding service. I’m a pretty jaded traveler. These days I don’t seem to get impressed very often but WOW! The Mandarin Oriental in Munich exceeded all my expectations, surprising and delighting me throughout our stay.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Olafmandk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

First of all, sorry for the long review. 8 months ago I stayed in MO Chiang Mai and I was blown away by the increadibly high quality and amazing attention to detail, it was my first experience with MO and it was love at first sight! Based on this experience, the reviews on tripadvisor and the price tag associated with MO Munich I had high expectations for this hotel. I really thought that the hotel would deliver first class service from start to finish, unfortunately this wasn't the case and in I had one particularly disappointing experience during my stay at the hotel.

Check in was prompt when we arrived at 7.45pm and my son was offered a toy which was a nice touch. However the room that we were checked into (a junior suite) had a horrible view staring right into a dark parking garage on the other side of a narrow street. I pointed out that the view was not very attractive and was told that the hotel was almost full, however after some investigation we were offered another room but it would require another 30 minutes to get that room ready. We accepted and were offered a drink while we waited for the room to be ready. This room had a decent view but only had 2 small windows with big curtains in front of the windows which made the room very dark. Since it was now 8.30pm and the WC football was about to kick off I accepted this room.

Upon check in I asked for a good venue to watch the Germany - Argentina game with my family. The concierge suggested that I watch the game at the hotel's rooftop terrace which sounded nice so I asked the concierge to confirm a table. The concierge called me back and confirmed my reservation for 3.30pm and he also informed me that the television picture might not be entirely sharp if the sun was shining but I said that I'm sure it would be fine. The next day I came up with my family to the roof top terrace at 3.30pm and there was a sign that the terrace was closed, I walked in anyway and the manager of the roof top terrace told me that he was closed but that he could make an exception for me?! He also told me that the picture wouldn't be very good anyway due to the sun. However since my son was enjoying himself next to the pool and my wife also enjoyed the terrace I said that it was fine. He then argued that the picture was going to get even worse and that it looked ok because we were watching only one person at the time but if we would try to watch 22 footballers we would't be able to see anything, he therefore suggested that we went to a nearby pub to watch the game. I said that I thought the picture was fine and that I would like to watch the game at the terrace. The manager then informed me that I had to leave during the second half because the terrace would close for an event but that he could make an exception and let me watch the first half. I told him that I didn't want an exception and that I thought it was very odd to turn me away when I had a reservation that was confirmed by the concierge of the hotel. He said that he had told the concierge that I was going to have to leave after the first half and he told me that there was information in my room that the terrace would be closed and it didn't seem like he believed me when I said that the concierge said nothing about leaving after the first half and that the only venue that I had been informed should be closed was Mark's restaurant. At this point I had heard enough ( I really didn't like this guy) and I went down to my room to watch the game and I called down to the reception and explained what had happened and that I thought that it was unacceptable to confirm a reservation and then turn me away at the door.

At half time the bar sent 3 drinks to my room which I sent back since I wasn't looking for free alcohol and no appology/explanation accompanied the drinks. The next day the duty manager had left a message on my answering machine asking me to call him. I called back and he appologized but didn't explain why this had happened but he did offer me a free meal in one of the hotel's outlets. I declined the meal because I didn't come to MO for free meals, I just want very basic service to be seemless no more no less and I would also like an explanation which I didn't get. I never heard from the duty manager or any other manager in the hotel again.

The way I see it there were only 2 possible explanations for what happened:

1. The concierge are incompetent and can't even manage a reservation in their own hotel (this certainly IS NOT the case)
OR
2. There was a black tie event for a large group of people in Mark's restaurant that day, I think that they decided at the last minute that since it was a sunny day it would be nice to start the event with cocktails at the roof top terrace and the hotel thought it was a great opportunity to get extra revenue and therefore it was tempting to opportunistically disregard my reservation.

Regardless of what the reason was I find it entirely unacceptable! Given how much MO Munich charges I should be able to rely 100% that if I have a confirmed reservation there are no BUTs or IFs, this was complete and utter nonsense!

Overall I think that the room was below average given the price point, attention to detail was lacking in some aspects of the hotel's service and the incident at the roof top terrace was extremely disappointing. The only thing that saves this hotel from me rating it as Terrible is the friendliness of the concierge/door men as well as the lovely lady that managed the breakfast. But overall it is really impossible for me to rate this hotel as anything better than Average. Luckily the sun was shining and we had a lovely time in Munich despite the MO being disappointing.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank romejune2005
MOMUCMunich, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Dear Mr. romejune2005,

First and foremost please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience we have caused during your recent stay with Mandarin Oriental, Munich. There is no excuse for some of the mishaps that occurred while you and your family stayed with us. We simply did not meet your expectations. I am delighted to read that despite the operational miscommunication you still had a lovely time in Bavaria’s capital. Your acknowledgement of our friendly staff has unfortunately not made up your frustrations encountered with your room type and your roof terrace experience.

1. Our junior suites at the hotel are not allocated by view, rather by size, hence your disappointment when looking out of the window. For future travel I recommend to ask for high floor allocation or unobtrusive views to avoid disappointment.

2. It is never nice being sent somewhere and then being told something else by another staff member. I fully sympathize with you and feel how disappointed you must have been when the Concierge suggested watching the soccer game on the roof terrace and the roof terrace manager wanting to reject you. The hotel failed to inform its hotel guests of the private function at the roof top terrace. This was our mistake and an oversight that could have been prevented.

I understand that an invitation for a complimentary dinner was rejected which was only a gesture to make up for the mistakes encountered. Several managers of the hotel, including the weekend duty manager were in touch with you. Also, our F&B Manager himself brought drinks to your room. I believe that we tried to make up but were unfortunately not given the chance.

Once again, please accept my apologies for not having met your expectations. I trust that the various incidents have not tarnished your image of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group and our Munich property. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our many hotels around the world in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Lars Wagner
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

This hotel is #1 in Munich for a reason, everything about it was superb. Beds reminded me of home, 1000 thread count, pillows to die for, rooms were exceptional, service was great. Stayed at the charles last time and this hotel was better all around. Location couldn't be better,

Stay there for sure, wives you will love the beds. Also all of the best shopping is right around the corner, if you like indian food do swagat, amazing food.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Brussels
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

I am staying in the hotel tonight and purchased their business package with offers an upgrade. The problem is the upgrade is to a room with no view and very dark small windows. Not sure what the point of upgrading is if the room is worse than the one you paid for. For $720 a room should not be so dark, expecially when I requested a very bright room.

I asked for an alternative and was told that I could have one for 200 EUR more to the next category. Seems rude to ask for that kind of money when I was not happy in the room provided to me.

Next time I will stay in the Kempinski which has a much nicer lobby.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank NormalGuest
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, 7 July 2010
Dear NormalGuest,

After having read your note about Mandarin Oriental, Munich on TripAdvisor, please allow me to inform you that we have critically acknowledged and appreciated your observations as well as concerns experienced during your stay on 30th June 2010. I apologize if we did not meet your expectations. We tried to contact you via email and on your cell phone but to no avail, hence, please find below our (delayed) explanations to your concerns raised that we take very seriously and to heart:

First of all, please allow me to reassure you that the room you stayed in, a Junior Suite, included the upgrade from your originally booked Exclusive Room, as granted in our Business Plus Package. The category usually refers to the size of our rooms and suites; however, I feel embarrassed that you felt that the larger room was not as comfortable as expected. Especially regarding your preference of a very bright room, I feel very sorry that the provided upgrade did not accomplish its purpose.

A further upgrade to a Junior Suite Superior from the regular Junior Suite you were upgraded to is priced ?400 more than your original rate. I understand that my front office colleague offered you this upgrade for a discounted ?200 but this was declined by yourself.

Please rest assured that I have personally spoken to my colleagues at the Front Desk, in order to prevent the reoccurrence of incidents of such nature. Mandarin Oriental, Munich's expectations towards itself are to fully satisfy its guest and even exceed highest expectations while providing a delightful experience.

Dear NormalGuest, if you would like me to give you a call in order to share your valuable information once more, please let me know when it is most convenient for you to talk, and I am more than happy to call you. Furthermore, I would be grateful if you give us the chance to redeem ourselves and make us prove we can provide you with a truly memorable stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich.

I trust that your experience has not tarnished your image of Mandarin Oriental, Munich. May I kindly ask you to make your future reservation through myself, as I would like to personally look after your future bookings.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich and assuring you of our best care and attention, I remain

With kind regards,

Lars Wagner

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

This is without doubt the best hotel in Munich. We stayed here for 2 days and were more than pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a junior suite on the 3rd floor, it had high windows and being a corner room had an extra window on the side which made the room really bright.

The suite itself was clean, had a separate dressing area and a massive bathroom. There were no faults in the decoration and there was a fruit plate to greet us when we stepped into the room.

This is the 3rd Mandarin Oriental I have stayed in, there is a consistent high quality and classy feel in each of them we have stayed in. Being so small [about 70+ rooms] but perfectly located I thought they would not have all the amenities of a larger hotel but I was wrong. The only thing it did not have was a wellness centre, they do however have an arrangement with a local spa with which they will be happy to arrange appointments for you. The entrance fee to the spa will not be comped though.

There were a couple of restaurants and bars, my favourite being the rooftop which allows you a 360 degree view of Munich, there is a heated pool on the top too.

Breakfast was great, a buffet which was sufficient and tidy. The michelin starred restaurant Marks felt a little rushed if you are on a 3 course deal but the food was superb.

Overall I would definitely endorse the hotel and the staff who were simply great, you will enjoy the hotel, look out for a good rate.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank avelautham
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2010

Stayed for two nights and was pampered silly. Huge beds, enormous pillows, very spacious junior suite, superb shower, attentive and helpful staff, speedy room service, hundreds of TV channels, top notch location in the hub of things and close to top shops, top restaurants, etc. Only complaint was the small, silly gym (one treadmill, one bike and not much besides) but I did enough walking in the streets not to mind. Was snowing and cold but the rooftop pool deck must be great in summer. No hesitation recommending the place

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Landtheplane
south africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

i have stayed in may five star hotels world wide. this was my first experience in a mandarin hotel and what an experience! everything was personalised .all the staff from the doormen, bar area, bistro, breakfast and by no means last, the front desk are superbly trained. they attended to every need and often anticipated them. the linen in the room is wonderful and the touch of the mini bar and freshly placed fruit on a daily basis was just amazing. i would highly recommend this hotel. the position of the hotel is a few steps from the main street and the market. cant recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business