“Nice hotel, shame about the single rooms”

Mercure Hotel Munchen am Olympiapark
Ranked #149 of 382 Hotels in Munich
“Nice hotel, shame about the single rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

This hotel is reasonably well placed near the Olympic Park. It is on several major tram/bus routes and if you are driving here, be prepared to pay for street parking. The hotel does have a small parking garage, however, this is on a first come, first served basis. Quite a lot of the local streets are "resident only" parking from 9am to 11pm and then you can park for free. Unfortunately, this is not an option for most hotel guests. I like the Mercure brand and wasn't surprised to find comfortable beds, lovely pillows and exceptionally clean bedding. Each room is adequately fitted and very clean. I didn't have chance to see a double room and can only give an assessment of my single and that would be awful. I would best describe it as extremely tiny and gloomy. The planners have squeezed as much in as they can, with particular negative praise awarded to the sloping shower ceiling. A novel idea, but not very practical. Breakfast at 16 Euros is a disgrace, I had a two course meal in the centre of Munich for less - 16 Euros really? I would recommend this hotel, however, ask to see your room first as it may turn out to be one of the miniscule rooms I had.

Room Tip: Look before you buy
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Piccasso
JFernandezRidano, Manager at Mercure Hotel Munchen am Olympiapark, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
Dear Picasso,

Thank you very much for your review and your feedback on the Mercure München am Olympiapark!

I am very glad you enjoyed the bed and the pillows, and that you appreciated the cleanliness of the Room. Our breakfast, has the same high standards as of Cleanliness and Comfort. Our freshly pressed Orange Juice, fresh baked ecological bread, our local specialties and the wide assortment of warm dishes, cereals, cold cuts and cheese, honor that price.
Your comment on our Parking facilities it is very much spotted-on, and has not been overlooked, since February we started acquiring more parking places and we are actively looking for some more.

Once Again I would like to thank you for your feedback, and would like to welcome you back next time you visit our lovely city.

With kindest regards from Munich,

Juan Fernandez and the Mercure München am Olympiapark Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Arabic first
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

This hotel is located about a 10 minute tram ride from Karlspatz. Once alighting at Leonrodplatz it is about a 5 minute walk to the hotel. It is close enough to the old city to be usable without being right in the old city. For me, this was a good tradeoff in terms of cost/convenience.

The room was a bit dark. This is one item that needs improving and others have also commented on it. Otherwise, it was comfortable and clean. Wifi was free in the room, so this was a good thing.

Breakfast buffet was fine. There were various options available and the food was fine. I had gotten a package where the breakfast was included with the room for about 10 Euros per day. I don't recall what it would have cost outside the hotel, but I think this was reasonable. Not sure I would pay more than that for the breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank pkinchina
Guam, Mariana Islands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked this hotel early in the year for a conference that ended the day Ocktoberfest opened. Our conference had been originally planned at the technical high school just down the street, but ended up at the technical university on the outskirts of Munich. Nevertheless I always prefer to stay in the city, and the good transport in Munich made this hotel very convenient.

Like most big European cities the room was small, but not Tokyo small. I had a good work area, and the wifi connection was first-rate. Front desk staff were helpful and always cheerful.

However my day started with, and ended with, the bad memory this hotel conjures up. Opened first for the 1972 Munich Olympics, the hotel has memorabilia all around the hotel. That was fine. However the elevator doors were placarded with the Olympic rings and the phrase "Olympiade 1972". Many people will remember what a tragedy this Olympics became, and being reminded of this incident twice a day was disturbing to me. I shared this with hotel management and would hope they consider toning-down the overt reminders of this particular Olympic games.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Burgess Hill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel for three nights a couple of weeks ago as part of a holiday trip visiting both Stuttgart and then Munich. I would like to say straight away that this is simply one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. It's probably not the most luxurious but just about everything I experienced was done well. I arrived in Munich at the main railway station in the center of the city and to get to the hotel it is just a matter of taking either the number 21 or 22 tram from Dachauer Str which is just to the north of the station. The cost of a single fare was E2.60 and it's just a five minute journey alighting at the Leonrod Platz halt. The hotel is then a couple of hundred meters along the road to the left from the tram's direction of travel.
Upon entering the hotel I was quickly and efficiently checked in by the receptionist. I had booked my room via the Accor Hotels web site and was told that as I hold one of their A Club loyalty cards I was being given an upgraded room and a voucher which I could exchange for a free welcome drink at the hotel's bar.
My room was on the first floor and my first impressions were good. Large in size with a very generous sized bed the room was actually quite hot. The radiators were in fact turned on full but after opening both windows I achieved a more pleasant temperature quite quickly.
I soon had a nice fresh cup of coffee prepared made on the clever little machine provided. Bathroom facilities were all fine and the shower temperature was easily adjustable. The bed was comfortable but I needed one extra. As I mentioned above the bed was a very good size but there was only one pillow provided. A request for another one made back down at reception resulted in a second pillow being delivered to my door a short while later.
About the only aspect of the room I would criticize would be the slight lack of good lighting considering the room's size. There were small lamps on each side of the bed and a light of modest output running across the top of the bed headboard. A floor standing lamp too was only of moderate output. There was a slightly brighter light over the desk/table. The only light from the ceiling was somewhat further away more in the hallway from the entrance door. Considering the size of the room I think it really needed one more main light in the ceiling nearer the centre of the room.
I enjoyed my complimentary free drink, a nice cold glass of local Sparten beer, in the hotel bar which offered a nice relaxed atmosphere.
I used the wi-fi facility in both my room and the bar which, as in several German Accor hotels I have stayed at in the past, is provided by a company called M3 Connect, and as ever found it to work perfectly. There was no extra charge for this service which is certainly to be applauded.
I enjoyed good nights sleep here. Although the room is on a large main road it seemed that after about 8PM the activity outside dropped right off and it became a very quiet location.
One of the best features I loved about this hotel was the super buffet breakfast that they provide which has a very large choice of items including a modest hot menu which you can help yourself too. It really was a great meal to start the day.
The hotel is very well located to get to all parts of the city. I had a lovely stroll over to the nearby Olympic Park which was most pleasant to walk through and offered superb views of the sporting facilities and south back over the city. In that area I visited the BMW museum and their huge BMW World sales pavilion and took in superb high views over the city from the top of the Olympic Tower. The superb public transport network of buses, trams and underground means every area of the city is easily accessed.
So as you can sense from my review I absolutely loved my stay at this hotel and as far as I'm concerned I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Cameramankeith
JFernandezRidano, Manager at Mercure Hotel Munchen am Olympiapark, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Cameraman Keith,

Thank you very much for such a positive and complete review on our Hotel, I have to say I enjoyed very much reading it!
I am glad that everything was satisfying and appreciate the feedback on the lighting of the room.

I hope you pay another visit to our lovely city, and of course enjoy our premises once more.

With warmest regards from Munich

Juan Fernandez and the Mercure München am Olympiapark team
Sibiu, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel during a 3-day business trip to Munich. Room and bath were both clean. Breakfast was great, very large variety of food and drinks.
The only problem was the parking place on the street, as the street is quite busy, but we did find eventually places to park our car.
Staff is friendly and helpful.
The rooms have facilities for tea making.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed here during Oktoberfest and have been in Munich for Oktoberfest before so we knew we would be paying a lot more no matter where we stayed. That being said, we really enjoyed our stay here. We received a free welcome drink upon arrival and had a quick check in. Our room had an adjoining door to the next room and we could clearly hear the TV from the next room. We asked for a different room and we were given a room that was much larger and no adjoining door. Obviously, we were very happy with that resolution. The room was clean and comfortable. Free wifi was good too. The bathrooms and shower are quite small but you're not living in a bathroom, right?!
The breakfast was fabulous - not sure what more you could want: sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, multiple types of great bread/rolls, various meat and cheeses, fruit, two types of yogurt, muesli, cereal, pastries, teas, coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice - all was included with our room rate.
We loved the location. A couple minutes walk to the tram stop, less than 10 minutes into the city center or you could walk in about 30 to Marienplatz. Being out of the city center, it was super quiet a night.
There are also a few restaurants, cafes and stores within a few minutes so you are not completely isolated.
I would stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 112 and we had friends that stayed in room 212 and they were the larger rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SKWorldTravelers
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Normally if you pay £150 a night for bed and breakfast you would expect something special and this wasn’t. The problem is it is Oktoberfest so all Munich hotels rip you off over these two weeks – but that doesn’t make it right – only normal.
Rooms are small and whilst just about everything is there – it’s not worth the money. Breakfast OK. Bar – no ice, limited range of spirits (no Gin). Staff are great and very helpful. Good location and near to trams, buses, and city centre. Rooms are quiet at the back of the hotel. Would I stay there again? Difficult to say, mainly because although there is enormous choice – so are prices at this time.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends