“Not very honest”
Review of Pension Seibel

Pension Seibel
Ranked #48 of 67 Munich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The good? The location...1 block from the viktualienmarkt and walking distance to Marionplatz and Hofbrauhaus. Rooms were clean.

The bad? We arrived at 2PM, before check in time, to be told that our 3 rooms, which I reserved 3 month prior, were sold to someone else. With 6 travelors, we were offered the "apartment" which is two rooms with 5 twin beds and one small bathroom. The 6th person was accomodated by a 4 inch foam mattress on the floor...not even a rollaway. In addition, I was told that there was a "problem" with my credit card and I would have to pay cash. I asked for a receipt and was given one but was told not to show it to anyone, since she gave me such a good rate she would get in trouble if anyone found out. I asked for a second key and was told that there was a 20 euro deposit...for a key? I had my German friend, who was also staying there and didn't have his room sold out from under him, ask for a key and they gave him one with no charge! By the way, once checked in, I walked right to the bank and withdrew several hundred euro with no "problem".
On the second evening, we were given one double room and again had the apartment for the other 4 people. On checkout, we were charged for two nights in the double room. We finally did get it all worked out after the manager arrived and it seems that the woman who checked us in pocketed the cash I gave her..suprise, suprise! Well, I gave the receipt to the owner and he made a copy so it's not a secret any more.
After reading the reviews, it does appear that a reservation doesn't mean much and I'm not very tolerant of dishonest employees so cannot recommend Pension Seibel

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank 1730Rinker

Reviewed 22 September 2011

My husband and I went to Munich for the Oktoberfest. Knowing that this was a busy time, I was prepared to pay a premium price for accommodations. We chose this place for the location - right at the viktualienmarkt. Still, this pension is such a rip-off! The location is awesome, but everything else is not. When arriving we got a key to dirty room on the third floor. The housekeeper assured us she would clean it immediatey. Even when she was done the bathroom was disgusting and the room was dusty. The beds were uncomfortable and the walls paper thin. The breakfast room was crowded and the service poor. When checking out nobody was available at first, and again the personel was very unfriendly. I'm not sure what the regular price is, but it was not worth the Euro 177 a night. The parking garage nearby charges Euro 30 for a day.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Acku
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We stayed here because of Rick Steve's recomendation. I was expecting something different than what we got. Great location and clean, but that's it. The decor is out of date, very small rooms and uncomfortable beds. The night we stayed was warm so we opened the window to get some fresh air. Our room was right next to an intersection so all night we listened to cars and motor bikes stopping and starting - not a pleasent experience. I have found that some of Steve's recomendations are fine, others ae way off base. If you are looking for a hotel experience more like the US, I would not recomend staying here. This place would be on par with a Days Inn or a lower value chain.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank infiniti0
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We have been at Pension Seidel for a weekend in July. 200m to Victualienmarket an one street down from the Hacker Pschorr Keller is just great.
Our double rooms with bath inclusive had two separate wooden beds,, a wardrobe and a table with TV. Nothing for a romantic getaway, but fine for a weekend. Everything was exceptionally clean but of age. The room faced the backyard and was very quiet.
As said before, the breakfast room has only 4 tables, but the buffet has everything you can ask for. During the week (Saturday) it was no problem to find a table, but on Sunday, when everything is closed and people have time for breakfast the line with waiting guests was long into the hallway.
We would stay there again, for the price was unbeatable.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Flamencospain
Reviewed 13 June 2011

You really can't argue with the price I paid (49EUR) for a single room in this part of Munich - 5 minutes walk from Marienplatz or Hafbrauhaus, and close to the U2 station for access to Munich Messe. Especially since I was booking less than one month before a massive trade show that had everything else within a 50km radius under 200 EUR booked out. The catch was that this is not a hotel that most business people would consider - the bathroom and toilet were shared. Of course that doesn't mean you have to take a shower with other people - once you lock the bathroom door you are (for better or worse) taking a shower alone. But for most business travellers, having to walk down the hall to use the toilet or shower is out of the question - hence the late availability.
If you can deal with this, though, you have a nice little hideaway in the centre of Munich at a very reasonable price.
Other stuff: No lifts, so if you're on the fourth floor, it can be a bit of a drag. The WiFi is a t-mobile hot-spot, so you have to pay if you don't have some kind of arrangement with T-mobile. Breakfast room is pleasant, breakfast is normal German buffet (cold meat, cheese and bread rolls), but there are only four tables, so peak times will be cramped.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank G0LGO13
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Old building, old appointments. Clean. Location is fantastic! This hotel might not be at the top of anyone's list but it's not so bad, especially for just a few nights (we stayed for two nights). Make it up with your next hotel. No elevator. Approx. 95 steps to climb to room 43 with ensuite WC and shower. Remarkably quiet in the evening, even for a city. Breakfast was fine but only 4 tables could make it crowded. Very helpful staff. English spoken.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Col_Tomb
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Fortunately, we were only booked in this hotel for one night. It is like walking onto the set of a horror movie. We stayed with our teenage son in the "apartment" and my mom had a single. We were terribly overcharged for what we received (200 US for apt.) The heat didn't work, the decor is a throwback to the 60's, the bathroom was about a 4X4 area, complete with broken toilet seat, TV didn't work.......this after a 5 floor walk up with reception on the 3rd floor, no elevator. On the upside, the proximity is close to the Marianplatz (but there are other choices!) and the breakfast was hearty. Do yourself a favor and don't stay here. It is creepy

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family