“Below average..”

Ranked #171 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Germany
“Below average..”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

If you get there by public transport you have to walk at least 15 mins so better take a cab if you are tired. Check in was fast but too little information about the hotel facilities and the area. The room was in a good condition the bathroom not. Minibar is empty so you have to use a vending machine on the first floor. You can not get something to eat at 14:30 p.m. because no one is available to serve food (4*?). Bar looks nice and staff was friendly its decorated as a traditional bavarian bar very nice!
Housekeeping tried to get in the room at 9 a.m. with knocking and immediately entering....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TheWorldTravelerGER
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Munich Arabellapark, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Baloo12345678,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

I read with much concern the troubles you have encountered during your stay. I sincerely apologize for we fell below your standards on most of the services and amenities that we provid. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I am truly sorry if we were not able to deliver this to you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our hotel.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We deeply regret that you did not receive the level of service that we strive so hard to achieve. We value you as a guest and we hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Bracknell
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I had a bad first impression as I walked into the lobby. Everything looked old-fashioned and tired. As I was standing in line to checkin I looked more carefully and realised I was being unfair - the reason it looks so bad is because there is construction work in progress to resurface the floor. Maybe they will clean up the rest of the decor as well.

I didn't find the checkin staff to be very friendly but once I did actually get to the front of the line I was allocated a room quickly and efficiently. I then had a shock when I exited the elevator because the whole second floor stinks very badly of cigarette smoke. Inside my room it was not quite so bad but still made me feel actually sick and the windows do not open very far. After about an hour I suddenly understood that for some reason I had been given a designated smoking room (where I am from it is illegal to smoke indoors and I completely forgot Germany allowed it) so I returned to reception and was re-allocated a new room on the fifth floor away from the smoke.

There was another guy with the same problem and I overheard the staff explaining to him that all the twin rooms were for smoking and the double rooms for non-smoking. So if you don't smoke and need a twin this is definitely a place to avoid.

There were no problems with the new room it was quite nice. The TV has a large range of channels from all over the world. I was there only one night on business so did not really take notice of all the room facilities but it seemed comprehensively supplied. I didn't hear any noise and overall a fine and comfortable room.

The hotel is located on a main north/south highway and it felt like there was nothing else around. I experimentally walked for fifteen minutes in each direction and found only residential housing, two petrol stations, and one resturant. I saw no public transport so you are in the middle of nowhere unless you can drive or take a taxi. Be warned that at during rush hour the traffic outside the hotel is incredible and I failed to allow enough time to travel by taxi a short distance to the office.

I didn't eat in the hotel but the bar felt friendly and welcoming. The other public areas of the hotel seemed fine with clean toilets and so on. There is a sauna and gym or something but it was all closed during my stay there.

As other reviewers have commented the wireless internet is too expensive to use. I don't understand why they try this game because even though roaming 3G access via smartphone is not cheap the cost is still well below the hotel's rate. Earlier whilst was standing in the checkin line I heard reception tell another customer that breakfast costs 24 euros! Even though my company was paying I still refused to be overcharged like that so I did not have breakfast.

I arrived late for my meeting thanks to the unexpected traffic, hungry, and with my clothes still faintly smelling of cigarettes. Cannot blame the hotel for all of that but it is overall not a place I want to stay next time.

Room Tip: Twins are for smokers, doubles are for non-smokers
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear ultrak3wl,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Rest assured, your comments will be used for review and actions will be taken accordingly to ensure similar incidents could be avoided.

Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I spent three night at the Holiday Inn in Effnerstrasse, in Nov. 2013 (room 314). Not too bad, the price was reasonable, and the accommodation in general comfortable. A few things that could be improved: WiFi connection was very slow; the bath tub and shower would require to be refreshed; the breakfast was rather expensive, at 21 euro.

I had one dinner in their Ludwig Stuble (is this the correct spelling ?) which was a pleasant surprise: nice atmosphere and good food. There are other Holiday Inn hotels in Munich, the choice depends on what takes you there: this one is about 15 minutes walking from the bus and subway station in Arabella Park, if you need a faster transportation or a closer proximity to the city centre then another venue could be preferable. This location has however a great advantage: absolute tranquility !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Munich Arabellapark, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear ziochecco1954,

Thank you for your candid feedback. It is unfortunate you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations. But we are pleased you did enjoy your meal in our restaurant. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel, and your feedback will help us to do so.

Regards,

Brenda J.
London, Canada
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night as part of a big tour and found it perfectly acceptable. I would complain that the wifi is (a) not free and (b) really slow when you do pay for it. Also, the location is quite a way from the centre of town and the shower water pressure was terrible. However, the rooms were comfortable, spacious and clean and the staff are terrifically helpful. Breakfast was also delicious

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Munich Arabellapark, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear worldwearytraveller1,

I appreciate your feedback regarding your recent visit with us. I am pleased to know that our rooms were comfortable and you found our staff to be helpful. I regret though that the Wifi fees and shower facility were a disappointment. We will use your comments for upgrades needed on premises.

Again, thanks for your review and our apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 28 October 2013

There are three Holiday Inn hotels in Munich, one downtown, the one at the airport and the third one on Effner strasse, a bit inconvenently located 10-15 minutes from the closest metro station at the Arabella park. If you depend on public transport, then I would not recommend the hotel. on Effner strass. Aslo, not many things to see or do in the surrounding area.
I was not very satisfied with the service, the staff could be a bit more kind and professional, and know exactly what arrangement had been previously made, rather than puttting the client in an embarrassing situation.
The room was OK, the sleep quality good, in soft pillows, and good matress. The bathroom - I was a bit confused to find some Nivea amenities for man, eventhough they new than a female was the guest. Little things that you notice, that can spoil the impression of the ovarall stay.
I liked the kettle in the room and the option to make my own cup of coffee. I didn't like the Internet being charged, and that, for example, if you purhcase 1 hour, you cannot use it with interruptions, but at once, which is pretty much unacceptable.
All in all, I visited the other Holiday Inn in the city center, and was impressed with the connections - the hotel is connected directly to the Subway, which takes you, again, directly (the S8 line) to the airport in about 40 minutes. Also, it is connected to the Ubahn, and clsoe to Marienpatz in the core downtown, at just 2 metro stops away, or 15 minutes walk.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Tatjana J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Munich Arabellapark, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Makilaki,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I’m sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Was on business in Munich during the Oktoberfest season, and it was not only terrible finding vacancies, the prices were just beyond reality.
The Hotel is average, quite distant from downtown, walking to the next U Bahn takes 10 Minutes and a taxi will cost you around 16 Euro. the Hotel has small and normal rooms, make sure you get the normal "larger" ones. the small rooms are really small and not comfortable at all.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Gass1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Leonardo Hotel Munich Arabellapark, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Gass1,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this particular day. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed over for two nights at this Holiday Inn while in Munich - I found the hotel excellent. The rooms were spotlessly clean and well equipped. Service was excellent all through. I got the benefit of free wifi due to my IHG priority club membership. The staff were very friendly, the breakfast was sumptuous. The local underground station is about 5-10 mins by walk, plus taxis seemed to be easily available in the hotel taxi rank. Overall an excellent stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business