“Location! Location! Location! But Ok!”

The 4YOU Hostel & Hotel Munich
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The location of the hotel was AMAZING! My friend and I stayed in one of the private rooms with a private bath, and paint chips were falling off the ceiling in the bathroom. A group of buddies stayed in the 12 or 16 shared room, and it was pretty nice. The staff was pleasant (at times), free wifi in the common area, and free breakfast. Our bed was very uncomfortable, the pillows were awful, and I ended using my travel pillow majority of the time. We were charged 1.50 euro for each extra towel because the hotel only gave us a body towel. So of course, we needed at least another face towel or washcloth. I still do not understand why the private room did not come with at least two towels. Not to mention, they do not provide washcloths, so make sure you have your own washcloth or loofah. The hotel was pretty noisy at night after all the Oktoberfest activities, as I expected it to probably be, but WOW, it was too noisy. We arrived Sunday afternoon from Arizona, and around 1am I woke up to girls singing Thriller outside our window. Granted we were on the 4th floor, and at first I laughed it off and tried going back to sleep, but 2 hours later of singing and stomping, I had enough! Take ear plugs if your travel to this hotel/hostel. We did meet some pretty cool people from Australia and Canada!!!! Overall, not a bad stay!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

This was booked through a tour group we were with for oktoberfest.
Hostel is very well located near the train station and not far from the centre. It was a great relief that all the reception staff spoke excellent English though they were very rude at times!
We were put in a 4 dorm room with another couple on level 2.
The hostel was clean - no bed bugs at all which is one of the major things I look out for in hostels. There were cages under the bed to store your luggage - but bring a small padlock to lock it.
The bathroom was very clean. There are 3 showers and 4 toilets for the ladies. If you forget your towel, you can rent one for £2.50. Being oktoberfest, bathrooms could get very messy and smelly with naked men frequently walking around the women's bathrooms
The hostel is really really loud. I would guess it wasn't like this all the time, but maybe just because of oktoberfest. We had people at all hours of the night - up until 4am running up and down the hallways, shouting loudly and carrying on all 3 of the nights we were staying there. I recognise that this is not a staff issue, but the noise really does carry. They also have a bar on the lower ground and at times I could hear loud people which I assume is from there.
Breakfast was supplied. Basic - toast, cereal, fruit salad, cheese, meat, tea, coffee - but free so satisfying.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kimmy155
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This hostel could be great but is lacking in several areas:

The staff could be rude; I went to buy a drink from the fridge at reception. As soon as I put my hand on my drink of choice I was barked at "That'll be 2.50!" Making me feel I was being accused of attempted theft.

On arriving to our room we were very pleasantly surprised me and my friend were not in a 6 bed female dorm as booked but in a private room of our own. As I had had to pay when I made the booking no extra cost was incurred and the staff made no mention of the upgrade. The room was comfortable however, the pillows were pathetic even when doubled over, we couldn't turn off the radiator and the large window had no safety bracket limiting how wide you could open the window. This wouldn't have been a problem had it not been for the balcony directly outside our window which was a fire escape. We did not feel safe to sleep with the window open in fear for our safety and belongings.

Ok we were staying at peak season during Oktoberfest, in a hostel and hostels can't control how noisy their residents are. That's a given; we probably came home drunk a couple of times and could have been a little quieter. However, they could employ some sound proofing measures such as carpeting the long echoey corridors to prevent sound travelling. Even putting doors along the corridors to break up the sound travelling from other guests and the bathrooms. The bathrooms; we could hear all night (even though our room was nowhere near them) showers, teethbrushing, hand dryers, etc. If the hostel went to the small measure of not propping open the main door to the bathrooms the noise wouldn't carry!

I'm not sure if I would stay here again to be honest although positives were a great location close to the main train station, all you can eat breakfast and free wifi. I do think the hostel could have promoted their facilities better though; their bar, bar snacks and provided a wide range of leaflets advertising the attractions in and around Munich for days when we had no plans.

Room Tip: I think a tip is more appropriate for the hostel owners not the customer!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here for the middle weekend of Oktoberfest with a group of four. Room was nice and cosy and was clean. A let down for the place were the bathrooms which being Oktoberfest were just covered in every kind of excrement (including even the showers and sinks) and at one stage boys were using the girls which wasn't nice. Had it not been when the festival was there the facilities themselves would've been fine. The breakfast was really nice and the staff were helpful.

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Overall a good hostel for what we were there for (oktoberfest), situated across the road from the main train station and not far from the festival site. The room we stayed in was ideal for what we wanted and bathrooms clean. Bar service was excellent provided by Alex never and empty glass! And food also available. The receptionist is much to be desired for and was quite rude. Yes it can get noisy at this time of year, but if you were looking at staying anywhere else it would cost a lot more. Overall brilliant stay :) would go back.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank sazzle2001
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I've been there this year for Oktoberfest.
It's very noisy (the walls are very thin) and the beds are not so comfortable, but the rooms and the toilets were clean.
If you go there, be very careful with the keys, because they don't have a follow up system of the keys, and because we lost one (they could not prove that we took that key), we needed to pay 45 euro.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed here during Oktoberfest. It was perfect location and had perfect vibe for the festivity. If your thinking of a relaxing stay in Munich wouldn't stay here as its pretty loud. Maybe this was just Oktoberfest time but the street was loud anyway. Overall a awesome place good value and good fun! Rooms and bathrooms clean which is what you want in a hostel.

• Stayed: September 2013