“Beautiful part of town”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Munich
Gastehaus Englischer Garten
Ranked #241 of 388 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I found the hotel via Lonely Planet Germany after several more centrally located hotels were booked up. The location of this hotel is great for a mobile person. It is a lovely 10-minute walk, at a brisk pace, to the nearest metro stop (Muncher Freiheit) which is on two central metro lines, just 4 stops from Marienplatz and the main tourist sights. I visited with my aunt, who is in her mid-60s and active but not always up to long walks and many stairs. As a result, we sometimes took taxis either to/from our destination (especially with luggage) or to/from the Muncher Freiheit metro. (Taxis were 12-16 Euros to city center, 5-6 Euroes from nearest metro to hotel.)

We stayed in the annex, which is a modern apartment building a few buildings down from the restored mill where the hotel is located. The annex building has an elevator, but it must have been added as an afterthought because the elevator stops in between floors. Therefore, even if you take the elevator, a half a flight of steps is required to get to your room. The room was a good size, with a double bed and a single. There was a small kitchenette with sink, electric kettle, dishes, mini-fridge, stove top. A small balcony overlooked the Englischer Garten across the narrow street. Bathroom was clean and simple - hair dryer provided, shampoo/body wash/hand soup all Lauren Hutton products in a wall dispenser.

Breakfast was extra, but was a generous German spread - meat, cheese, yoghurt, bread, fruit, tea/coffee, and eggs on request.

Schwabing area, where the hotel is located, is very nice. The Englischer Garten is massive and the hotel is right on top of it. Lots of dog walkers, cyclists, etc. Hotel is at the north end of the park, near the lake (with boat rentals) and a large, outdoor beer garden. Lots of bars and restaurants in the surrounding streets.

I would definitely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My wife & I spent about four hours walking around this park. We stopped for lunch and a beer at one of the beer gardens also. It's a really nice park, and not at all crowded. We liked it a lot

Reviewed 21 February 2014

There's the original house and an extension down the street. We had a larger room in the extension, very much like an apartment. The Gastehous is in a quiet neighborhood (try the local restaurant - just across the street from the main Gastehous) with parking nearby. We were there in the early Winter, so the adjacent Englischer Garten wasn't too much of an attraction, but the metro is only a few blocks away and the highway is pretty close. The breakfast is nice, but we went to the Butterbrot up the street (about 2-3 blocks). Very comfortable, very convenient, parking, pleasant hosts. We'll go back when we return to Munich.

Room Tip: The expansion building is good for families - more space and a kitchenette.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Returned after 10 years and the place was not how I remembered it. It is not inexpensive and we were placed in an annex which had all the charm of a Motel 6 at ritz prices. The bed was very close to uncomfortable. The staff was barely civil and seemed to indicate that she would barely deem to answer the obvious tourist questions. The wi-fi was very difficult to assess and the staff was unhelpful. I think you could do a lot better in Munich.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tommo_8
Reviewed 6 September 2013

It was over 10 years ago since I stayed here so this review is a little late. My mother insisted on staying here because she heard wonderful things about it. I was reluctant. It would have been much easier to stay at a hotel chain. At the time, they had no website and didn't take credit cards. My mother was right. This place was charming with a capital "charm." Each room was different and beautifully decorated. There was a big spread of snacks and drinks in each room that was free. Right next to the park. Beautiful neighborhood. Perfect

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lydia61358
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I have read the other reviews and am surprised by some of the complaints. I have been staying at the Gästehaus for the past 12 years and I love it. The main house has a funky, Bavarian, antique charm, and the Nebenhaus has more studio apt style rooms. I stayed for a week in the studio this summer and loved being able to cook up some pasta or store some drinks for myself after a long day in the libraries. The staff are always friendly and helpful. My room had a new bathroom that was beautiful and state of the art. I had a small balcony on which to sit and enjoy the park. It is a 10 miinute walk to the U-bahn or buses at Munchener Freiheit, but you get to walk through a wonderful neighborhood filled with great places to shop or stop for a drink or meal. The Osterwaldgarten, which is across from the B&B is my favorite restaurant in Munich. I have always found the breakfasts to be more than adequate. Sausages, cheeses, different breads and jams, yougert and eggs cooked to your order. I don't know what others are complaining about. The location is also very quiet, though some construction is almost completed near by. Evenings you can hear the ducks honking in the Englisher Garten. Try it and fall in love.

Room Tip: I'd ask for the Main house if you are staying for only a night or two, and for the Nebenhaus if...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank JLCBerlin
Reviewed 5 July 2013

This expensive hotel is hard to find and in a rather noisy location. It is long past quaint, now old and creaky and in need of renovation. The antiques are interesting, but we prefer a newer bathroom with a convenient shower. We should have booked a modern place and then easily could have taken public transport to the Englischer Garten park.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple