“Best location value for money”
Review of Hotel Eder

Hotel Eder
Ranked #65 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Best location value for money”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Near to the Munich main train station, shopping center area, tourist destination, plenty restaurants. Very comfortable area and clean room, nice shower room and includes breakfast . All staff are very welcome and friendly. Suite to all travelers. FYI no lift service

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lina J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed at Hotel Eder for 2 nights. My single room was on the third floor so I had to carry my suitcase up 3 long stairs. The room was small but good for 1 person. There is a bathroom with toilet and shower so it was very nice. Wifi is free and good signal, absolutely no problem. Reception staff are very nice and helpful. Breakfast was okay and adequte for the room rate. The hotel is very close to Hauptbahnhof (the Munich central train station), less than 5-min walk. Hence if you are travelling by train, it is very convenient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank kolukolu
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Excellent city centre hotel, close to station & bars/restaurants. Single room was compact but clean & quiet. Decent breakfast for budget hotel. Friendly & helpful reception staff. Wifi signal strong. There is no lift so not really suitable for elderly or infirm.

Room Tip: Lower floors if elderly or infirm as there is no lift.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Andyjg_12
Sevenoaks
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This hotel is conveniently located, room rate very reasonable, and service alright – especially in letting us store ski gear in a downstairs space. The drawback is the lack of a lift. We could cope even on the 3rd floor, but anyone with limited mobility would have a problem.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms numbered –6, which are doubles in a single room space, narrow and cramped.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve P
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here during our stop into Munich in the middle of April. We were spending more time out of the city then in it, so we wanted a central location to the train station so we could get to our meeting points, but also see the city when we had some time. The location of this place is definitely a plus and the main reason why we booked here, and it didn't disappoint. We will say, however, that the location around the hotel wasn't our favorite. It's right beside a casino that always had a few interesting people outside of it and loud music coming from it. There was also a nice group of homeless people hanging under some stairs across the street all the time. We were never hassled or out late though, and once you're inside we felt safe and at home.

The safe spoke English pretty well and were helpful with questions. The rooms were spacious the comfortable, but we did have issues with the WiFi, as it would only work for us if we stood right next to the door. But it's free, so not a big deal. The hair dryer was a bit weird too, it would work for a bit until it got too hot and then shut off. My wife had to devise a system of checks and balances just to dry her hair. The shower drain was also plugged on our first night, but that could happen anywhere and the issue was resolved.

A big bonus to this place is their breakfast. Coffee or tea fresh at your table, ready to go as soon as you sit down. A nice selection of breads, cereals, meats, cheeses and hard boiled eggs. It's always nice to start your day with decent food in a convenient and pleasant setting.

It's not the Hilton, but you'll get a good sleep, a full belly in the morning.and get to where you need to go in the morning easily. Worked for us.

Room Tip: Definitely a room at the back of the hotel, overlooking the court yard. A room near a window facing...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff C
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at Hotel Eder for two nights after a very long journey from Australia. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and the rooms were clean, comfortable and large. We especially enjoyed the breakfast! The location is excellent for accessing the central train station. The area feels safe, though there are some strange people! :-)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate O
UK
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The Good:
The hotel is less than a 5 min walk from the central station, check in and out was fast although we weren't given any paperwork, all the staff were very friendly and spoke good English. In fact, I think the friendliness of the staff was the best I'd ever experienced. The hotel was clean and to get breakfast included in an £80 per night room rate in Munich is excellent. The bed was comfortable, although the pillow was thin, I was pleasantly surprised to find a small safe in the wardrobe and the shower was hot. The hotel is a few minutes walk from karlsplatz, and a 10-15 minutes walk to Marienplatz along an enjoyable shopping street. Despite being close to the railways station, the entire area is clean, feels safe, and is full of restaurants and shops.

The Bad:
Overall the hotel is missing many of the things I would consider standard to a hotel, and so I feel Hotel Eder is more of a large B&B. I wouldn't return and I wouldn't really recommend this to any friends or family.

I can forgive the building having no AC or lift; I've stayed in European hotels before that had neither. However, be warned that for every floor up you're staying you'll be climbing approximately 25 steps - so I stayed on the third floor climbing approx 70-75 steps. Also, on hot nights sleeping with the window open means trying to sleep through music (not sure where this was coming from) as well as noise from people and cars on the street, and the side street seems to be very popular with loud noisy trucks/vans who seem to load/unload things here at 4am onwards. Although the hotel can't be held responsible for the street noise, it is something to consider if you're a light sleeper. To add to the difficulty I had sleeping, the curtains didn't fully cover the window!

It's the small details this hotel really lacks and because there are so many small issues it really detracts from the overall experience.

I booked a double room specifically and expected a double bed, but instead I got two twins pushed together. They weren't joined together and my husband and I had separate sheets/duvets. Very disappointing. The towels were very thin and well used, and no spares were supplied. Also, the free toiletries were two 7ml sachets of cheap multipurpose hair/body wash and a very tiny soap. I bought my own soap and shampoo from a local shop instead. The hair dryer also only worked on the lowest setting- on the higher heat I had 10 seconds of use before it cut out for 30 seconds or so. I'm also used to hotels providing the room with a small kettle and two cups, even if no tea/coffee is provided, however there was none.

Breakfast was a similar let down. Although it's nice to not have to leave the hotel to get a hot drink and something to eat, I found the breakfast to be cheap and of poor quality; for example the croissants were obviously from a packet and mostly stale, the fruit salad looked like it came from a tin, and there were no individual yogurt pots or anything like that. Also, if you're not a coffee drinker you have to ask for hot water to make tea rather than it being available in a hot container to help yourself at the buffet.

It was also not good to have to leave the room key at the front desk. If you're like me, you book a hotel close to the centre so you can pop in and out. But I felt a little uncomfortable constantly asking for my key, even though the staff were very nice.

Finally, I was disappointed by the way the rooms were serviced. It seemed like it took the maids all day to service the room because they would do one job at a time, like change each rooms towels, rather than do a room at a time. Sometimes by 3pm I like to go back to my room for a few hours downtime before going out in the evening for dinner, but most days my room wasn't ready! So only once did my room get a full clean.

Conclusion: if the hotel put a bit more effort into the quality of their guests stay by improving the quality of the breakfast, the towels, the curtains, the free toiletries etc. then I would be recommending this hotel. However, they seem to skimp on what I consider to be 'the basics' and so I was a little disappointed with my stay. However, nothing is so terrible it would warrant a complaint so I can understand how things have got that way at Hotel Eder - but all the little things that aren't right add up to a less than satisfying experience.

I think if you want a literal bed to sleep in, a hot shower, and a quick coffee and croissant for breakfast close to the train station and centre of Munich then this Hotel will be adequate for you. But if you expect something more from your stay, then I'd pay a little extra and stay elsewhere. There are so many places to grab a nicer cheaper breakfast that if I were to visit Munich again I'd spend more money on a nicer hotel room, than staying somewhere like the Hotel Eder again.

Room Tip: Each floor adds 25 steps, so I would ask for a room on a lower floor. Overall I don't think this...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple