“Very good choice for a family”
Review of Hotel Eder

Hotel Eder
Ranked #63 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Houston, Texas
“Very good choice for a family”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at the Hotel Eder. The staff all seemed very friendly and welcoming to us, and the room was quite comfortable. There are two buildings, one at the front (which is on the street, and very charming) and one at the back (which is more utilitarian but in a sort of courtyard area). Our room was in the back, which I greatly preferred. It was decently quiet, which meant that we could cool down our room in the evening over an unusually hot series of summer days, and we could enjoy the very nice decorations of the main building when we went in for breakfast (I love the assortment of Oktoberfest mugs from over the years).

The breakfast was excellent; it was a typical German breakfast, with high quality meat, cheese, etc. The location was outstanding - an easy walk from the train station, and just minutes to Karlsplatz. The price was also more than reasonable for this type of hotel in this type of location. The next time we come back to Munich, this will be one of our top choices.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back building are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MechTeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Good stay because of these:

1. walking distance to almost everywhere you need to go in Munich.
2. Meeting the most courteous person in the whole of Germany, Mr. Vadim. The nicest person I met in Germany.
3. Stay at the first floor, therefore not quite a hassle taking my suitcase up to the room. As stated by others, there is no lift here.

Breakfast is OK, although I must that the variety is the least of the 3 hotels that I stayed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter-KualaLumpur-10
Durbanville, South Africa
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Very close to Munich main train station.Sleeping quality good.The breakfast also good with plenty variety.The only negative is the fact that there is no lift,but we knew that at the time of reservation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Like other reviewers have said, this hotel offers a nice value with clean, well appointed rooms, professional, courteous service and a generous breakfast included. As noted elsewhere, there's no AC and the street outside is quite noisy should you need to keep the windows open. It's conveniently located very near the train station/metro but be aware that the trade off is a somewhat gritty surrounding neighborhood.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have mixed reviews as does other but I think that there is justification that needs to be made. Hotel Eder is very convenient for the train station along with the main roads leading to Marienplatz etc. The room was also well priced for what we received inclusive of breakfast. The room was clean and there was daily service as well. The negatives for us were that in the dead of summer, no AC made it difficult for the 4 of us to sleep some nights. We would often open the door to the outside during the night to cool it down as our room would retain heat from showers and 4 people in a tight space. Overall I thought that an average review would be a disservice for what we had but at the same time, I am not sure that we would pick to return here without reviewing our options first.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Wolfpacker88888
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was a tough one to review... There are some really good features about it and the price is definitely a bargain, yet few things has really put me off.
I stayed for two days in a single room. The room was tiny but very functional, I had to trouble arranging my stuff comfortably. It was very clean, and both the room and the hotel's main areas are nicely decorated and finished in light wood. The shower was one of the best in terms of water pressure & temperature rangeI've had in a while.
Location is truly superb - it's 5-10 min from the main station on one side and the bustling historic and shopping city centres on the other, yet it's hidden from all the buzz.
Another positive was the breakfast - not a huge selection, but very much to my taste and of great quality - baked goods, cold meets, fresh farm cheese, surprisingly good for a hotel coffee.
Now - for the not so good things, which brought the rating from 5* to 3* for me. First and foremost - the staff, especially reception, were incompetent, unwelcoming and patronising. I arrived very early (7am) and was told the room would be ready by 11am, even though my booking had 13:30 as the check-in time. I return at 11:40, and there's another reception staff who's shocked by the very idea the room can ever be ready before 13:30, pretty much implying I was lying... A minute later maid informs him that the room is indeed ready... It's not a big deal, I was in the end checked-in early, but with an attitude. Dared I ask for a help with my heavy bag - as my room was on the 1st floor and there's no elevator - he rolled his eyes and left me struggling with the stairs.
Second big disappointment was the WiFi - I can deal with several levels of logins & passwords if it brings me a fast connection. Not the case - and I'm not talking streaming videos, it was a matter of luck to get the signal, and the traffic was not enough even for an email with no attachments. Worst hotel internet ever.
Finally, my room was facing the inner courtyard and hence was hidden from the street traffic. Yet, some people (staff?) would sit there chatting & smoking till late, and even with the windows locked I was getting both the noise and the cigarette smell.
Overall, 3* is an average rating, but there was nothing average about this place - some things (price, location, decor, cleanliness, breakfast) were spot-on, but others (staff, WiFi) were simply dreadful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Anya_Ukr
Little Rock, AR
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A five minute walk from the main station, and within walking distance of the Marienplatz and all the local shopping. The staff was excellent, the rooms were adequately spacious, bathroom was nice, and everything was very clean. We were also very pleased with the included breakfast. The location was outstanding and for what you pay, it will be difficult to beat this hotel. We would certainly stay here on our next visit and recommend this to anyone traveling to Munich. This hotel is a great choice.

Room Tip: Choosing a room that does not overlook the street will make your stay a little more quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family