“Charming hotel”
Review of Hotel Eder

Hotel Eder
Ranked #68 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 25 December 2009

The Hotel Eder is well located between the train station and centre of town. The staff were excceptionally helpful, giving excellent recomendations for restaurants nearby, and providing extra blankets and pillows when needed. The rooms have the potential to be noisy however - we could hear a person sneeze in the room next door and people coming up the wooden stairs could be very disruptive. Luckily, the hotel was fairly empty when we stayed in December, but in peak season it could be a problem.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 December 2009

We stayed at Hotel Eder for 4 nights in October. The hotel is very well located close to the Main Railway Station and within walking distance to the Old Town and all the major sights. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are spacious, the staff is friendly and helpful. You can also get a good breakfast as early as you wish. The only drawback is the lack of elevator if you stay on one of the higher floors and have difficulty climbing the stairs (for us it was no problem). We'll be sure to stay here the next time we come to Munich.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Our family of 5 stayed in Hotel Eder in 2 rooms. Great location near the train station (we wanted to be close by due to day trips we had planned), but was also a quick walk into the main city square. We were lucky to be able to enjoy the christmas markets during our stay which were spectacular! The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff were very helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was nice, but just the usual european breakfast of cold meats, cheese, muesli, assorted rolls, toast, croissants, jams & nutella and a bowl of canned fruit salad - very enjoyable though! If a light sleeper, you may be bothered by the noise of the stairs and floor above you, this was not due to noisy people, just the squeakyness of the beautiful timber flooring. Only real complaint from my husband was lack of coffee/tea facilities in the room!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank mintie123
Reviewed 4 December 2009

We really enjoyed the Hotel Eder. The location near the Hauptbahnhof and Marienplatz can't be beat, and being on a side street significantly cut down on traffic noise. Even my husband, a light sleeper, wasn't bothered by cars.

The main negative is the lack of elevator -- it is difficult to take large suitcases up the steps. That certainly wouldn't be a deterrent for us to again book there. The rooms are quite charming in wood paneling. The bathrooms are tiny, but have all the essentials. I Breakfasts were quite delicious.

The staff was not effusively friendly, but I would hardly expect otherwise since our German is not really up to much, and it would be very difficult to have a long conversation. They were certainly helpful and courteous in every respect we needed.

Overall, a great little hotel at a very competitive price. I would highly recommend it.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Myself & 2 of my girlfriends were looking for a hotel close to the train station (as we were planning several day trips outside the city) that was at a reasonable price and Hotel Eder fit the bill exactly. We stayed 6 nights total in the triple room on the 4th floor (the 5th floor in the US). The room was much larger than we had anticipated & was very clean. The third bed appeared to be a couch, but it was still the size of a twin bed (although it was pretty hard, but I was so tired at night that it didn’t really bother me). We had a room that faced the street, but as it was late Oct we did not open the window and were not bothered at all by any street noise (in fact, the street does not seem to be busy at all). We were also by the stairs & while creaky I never heard noise from anyone else climbing up (we were on the top floor) and in fact, I never heard noise from other guests at all. There is no elevator, but we knew that in advance and since we usually only walked up the stairs one time a day it was fine. Our stay was broken up by an overnight stay in Rothenburg & the hotel let us keep our luggage at the hotel overnight so that we only had to carry around a small bag for our over night trip (while the bag room is not locked we didn’t have any qualms about leaving our luggage there). The front desk is manned 24 hours a day and after seeing us just once everyone seemed to know which room we were in since they were ready with our key as soon as we walked in the door. We arrived fairly early both times to check-in (around 11 am) and our room was available both times for early check-in. Breakfast is a buffet and while not the best breakfast ever it was filling enough to start your day. There is a bread basket, mini-croissants, bread for toast, a selection of meats (kept in a mini fridge), a few cheeses, 2 cereals, fresh coffee or tea, milk and my favorite – apple juice, plenty of jams and jellies, fruit salad and some fresh fruit such as bananas and plums. We tended to eat early (around 7:30 or 8) so there was plenty of food & they did seem to refill items later on.

Being 3 females we felt safe walking around late at night and were never bothered by anyone or felt uncomfortable in any way. I wouldn’t label this area as seedy at all; it’s just a typical downtown area – busy, lots of people, sidewalks somewhat dirty, etc. Although some of the streets we passed on our way to the hotel did appear to be more loud and crowded; the walk from the train station to this hotel (10 min at most) was perfectly fine in my opinion. As I mentioned before the actual street the hotel is on is very quiet & we rarely saw anyone else. There is a Casino on the street, but if it hadn’t been labeled as such we never would have known (there is no noise coming from it & we never saw anyone even around it).

If you are using Munich as a base for several day trips by train then this is a great hotel. There are a lot of hotels in this area, but this did seem to be the quietest street that we passed when walking the short distance from the train station. If you are coming to Munich to just visit Munich I’d probably opt for a hotel closer to Marienplatz since that area has more charm though. From the hotel it is a 10-15 minute easy walk to Marienplatz though so staying here was good for visiting the main Munich sights as well.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank hmparrish
Reviewed 8 November 2009

This is the second year that we have stayed here while visiting Munich. We weren't disappointed. The rooms are clean. The breakfast is really quite nice. It's close to the underground. It's a great value. The street can be a little noisey, but then, where isn't it? We've stayed at other pensions in Munich. And, we would prefer to stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2009

This was my 3rd visit to Germany, 1st time in this hotel, I traveled with my wife and my 1 year baby girl. We took a family room with 2 bed rooms.
The hotel is just the best hotel I ever stayed in traveling 7 countries around the word, it is really a very cheap BB in Munich, a great location in City center, 5 mins walk from train and subway stations, 20 mins walk from Marienplatz area (the best area for shopping and walking in whole Germany), you can take the subway but I preferred walking this street.
The rooms are really big compared to any BB and very clean, bathroom is also big and very clean, morning staff is very helpfully and friendly (I think they are the owners), while evening staff is not friendly.
The hotel is inside street, which wasn’t a problem for me or my family. There is internet inside rooms with extra cost.
I don’t have any comments about this hotel and I recommend it to any one for business or fun trip. The only problem is finding available booking.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family