“There are much better places to stay in Munich” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Herzog Wilhelm

Hotel Herzog Wilhelm
Ranked #341 of 381 Hotels in Munich
London, United Kingdom
“There are much better places to stay in Munich”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

So I read the poor reviews of Hotel Herzog Wilhelm-Tannenbaum and truly thought- how bad could it be? Well please do not make the same mistake we made and STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE! I have travelled all over the world and never met such rude staff. First they charged us twice for the room and when we informed them there was not even an apology and we were out of pocket for exchange rate and going into overdraft. Front of house ignored us for 10 minutes while talking to a friend before allowing us to check in and then when asking for advice literally threw a map at me. The location is great in terms of proximity to the town but HORRIBLE if you want to get any sleep. There is major construction works going on next door which begins at 6:30AM EVERY MORNING!! Munich is an amazing city- do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Melbacita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed there recently with a friend, the single rooms were clean and ideal, breakfast was very good and included in the price.If you are on a touring/driving holiday this little hotel is ideal.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank valkyrie49
Laredo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Booked a double bed room for two nights in August 2011, had fax confirmation from hotel two months before getting there. Call the week before to confirm again and to let them know we would be in late from Italy. Train to Milan was late we missed our connection to Munich and had to leave on a later train. I called from Italy around 11:am to let them know we would be there around mid-night. Asked if that was ok, the lady said no problem. My wife and two sons 13 and 12 years old show up just after mid-night exhausted. I show the manager my confirmation and tell her my name. (She is around 55 years old black hair). She yells at me and says "No Rooms you did not call No Rooms". She turns away and walks into a side office. I though she was joking, but she just sat there in that side office, I guess she expected me to walk off into the night. I said excuse me "I have a confirmation and I did call". Her next response was "You are a lair you did not call someone else is in the room". I was so angry but I kept my cool and I asked her to look at my cell phone and see that I had called and spoke to someone for 3 minutes. She called me a lair again and she wandered back and forth from her office to the front desk. At that time her replacement walk in and between me and the psycho manager was brought up to speed on the situation. He took the time to look at my cell and called the lady I spoke to earlier. During that time Psycho manager walked out into the night. Samson was a wonderful man, he offered us a place to sit and brought the kids something to drink. He help us get a room at a near by Hotel, obviously much more expensive that we had planned on, but I figured these things happen and we were on vacation, it get worse. Before leaving for the new hotel I told Samson I would be back tomorrow but would stay an extra day in Munchin could he get us the 2nd night of our reservation and an additional night. He said he would make sure the day manager knew and that it would be no problem, he apologized for the mix up and said he would see us tomorrow. The next day we checked out of our hotel and came back. As it turned out the day manager was the lady I spoke to from Italy, she started to explain that I should have authorized my credit card over the phone, but I did not want to get into it since what was done was done. I wanted to tell her that neither the confirmation nor did she mention my credit card authorization. I explain to her that wanted the room for two nights and gave her my credit card. I was paranoid, and felt alittle embarrasesd when I asked her twice if had the room for two night. "Yes it's O.K." . We had a great day in Munich and enjoyed a good night's sleep. The next day psycho manager was back but I was determined not to get ugly even though I was upset about being called a lair. I said "guten morgen" and handed her my key for the day, we had a day trip to Salzburg planned. "Checking out" she says. No I have the room for another night I explained. "No rooms". I nodded my head and said "unbelievable". So we went back to our room to pack and as I was checking out later Samson walked in. He too could only nod his head in disbelief. Two nights I said, "I know" he said. Not once did that black haired and I am sure black hearted psycho apoligize for anything that happened or for what she said.to me. Left that day for France and enjoyed the rest of my vacation.

David from Texas

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank David G

Travellers are raving about these Munich hotels

bangalore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

had moved from a hotel near the munich railway station to this one on a friend's recommendation and while found this more roomy and better what was a let down was the breakfast which was pretty much the same for all three occasions I had it. also the service was not that great. internet access was ok but still expensive.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
fife
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

Small rooms & bathrooms are the main problem with this hotel.I was in a twin by myself luckily, as two people would struggle to to move around! Apart from that the breakfasts were good, friendly staff, all you need for a city break. Herzog-Wilhehm is ideally located for Marien Platz where all the lovely churches are plus good shops.
Time permitting a visit to Garmisch is recommended, my son & I took the train and the scenery was lovely.
If you need plenty space I wouldn't stay here but it's ok for a short break.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2011

This is a nice hotel in Munich quite well located, you can walk from there to the central station, (20 minutes). Rooms are a bit small, my friend and I wanted a double bed but they didn't have it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

I am travelling around Europe quite a lot and I am not used to complain about hotels I stayed. But this time I have to write something about it even if my company had to pay for it.
I am from a former socialist country in Central Europe so I am really not expecting big things and I have seen a lot of hotels in Europe. The most important for me is a clean room, friendly staff and a normal breakfast. This hotel has a three star classification so of course I was not looking for any luxury. But the room was unbelievable dirty and when I checked in and saw the room I really was shocked. The equipement in room is approximately 30 years old and the bathroom was just ugly. So I went back to check in counter and told them that they have to change the room. The young girls who was working there seemed not to be able to change my room. She just told be that she was not allowed to do this. Finally it was late evening and needed to have some sleep so I was just too tired to argue. The breakfast in the morning was worse than in a youth hostel in Soviet Union in the 70ies, the room and the service also.
Finally I had business meeting so I checked out. My secretary and me wrote about ten mails to this so-called hotel that I dont agree how I was treated there. But surprise, surprise-no answer yet- by the way I stayed in October 2010.
So I suggest to everybody, especially business travellers not the stay there to avoid a big deception.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business