“Great location, good value”

Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen"
Ranked #111 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I arrived at Hotel Schlicker very early on a Sunday morning. I only asked to store my luggage, but was very pleased and surprised to be offered a room and breakfast immediately. I booked a budget room which was quite small, but clean and perfectly adequate. I found the staff efficient and friendly (in a conservative "German" way) and happy to give advice when asked. The hotel has a small courtyard where it was nice to take a break from the street and a morning coffee. Breakfast had enough options to keep pretty much everyone happy.
I'd have no hesitation in recommending Schlicker to a traveller expecting good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Christine_Aust
Christine-Stoehr, Inhaber at Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen", responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thanks a lot on behalf of the entire Hotel Schlicker Team.

Hope to see you again and best wishes from Munich.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We only stayed in Hotel Schlicker for one night but I immediately fell in love with the charm of the old hotel. Once we ventured out I was so thankful for the location. You can walk to all the highlights of Marienplatz easily. The famous brew house is only two blocks away, the glockenspiel is less than a block and access to the trains is two blocks away. You really can't beat the location.

As far as accommodations, we were in room 500. They use actual keys which I think is charming, but the room was one of the ones that had been upgraded so I was impressed with the size of the bathroom and the modern feel of it. The heated towel rack was a nice touch!

Yes, it was loud. We had the windows open but after the World Cup game was over the shouts and yells woke us up so we had to close the windows. I did not notice the bells when I was sleeping, and when I was awake, I loved hearing the sounds of the city. But if you are a light sleeper, either bring some earplugs or ask for a courtyard room.

Breakfast was a large buffet but there were limited options for a vegetarian - meat EVERYWHERE. There was even bacon in the scrambled eggs, so that part was a bit disappointing.

The staff was very nice and helpful and the room was spacious for an old hotel, but you just cannot pick a better location for a stay in Marienplatz.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy M
Christine-Stoehr, Inhaber at Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen", responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you very much for your nice comment.

Best wishes from Munich to Charlotte, North Carolina

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I chose this hotel because it was central and not too expensive. I was not pleased with my choice. The staff were courteous, the breakfast was great (as other reviewers have said), my bed was comfortable and quite spacious. My only complaint is that being so close to Marienplatz meant that the bells woke me at 7am each day, but there's nothing the hotel could have done about that!

Room Tip: I asked for a room at the back, as recommended by others on this website. I would recommend the same...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank malf196

Thank you very much for your comment.

Best wishes to you from Munich to London

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed there for two nights recently and really enjoyed it. For the price, it is hard to beat based on the location. Rooms are small but if you're just looking for some place to sleep and rest this is a good choice.

the included breakfast was also very good, staff was friendly and helpful.

Would recommend if you want a hotel near the center near Marienplatz.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charlotteguy1
Christine-Stoehr, Manager at Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen", responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel is two steps away from MarienPlatz, and is very comfortable.
The building is very old, and the hotel has been in business, as a hotel, for almost one thousand years, which is quite amazing.
The service was most friendly and good, and they were all very proud of their breakfast, with very good reason. It was absolutely marvelous.
We were there only for twenty four hours, but we enjoyed the hotel very much.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ruth M

Dear Guest,

Just to let you know. The hotel was first only a restauratn starting from 1544. From 1896 on it changed to a hotel with restaurant and the family Mayer bought the building. They own it till today. ;-)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I booked this Hotel because of its proximity to MarienPlatz.
First the positive. It's in a superb location. If that's all that concerns you, then assume I have given five stars and don't read anymore.

However, the entrance is a little worrying, given that there is a McDonalds right beside it, as others have "warned", but as you walk inside it seems like it may be nicer - once you are at reception. Don't be fooled yet, however.
This hotel has a lot of history , of course, and the blurb in the room said that it had been extensively refurbished - in the 1990's ! I think they missed my room.
I had a room on the second floor, 216 to be precise, complete with zero aircon, and lots of holes in the carpet, and a tv from the late 1980's. A radio in the bed complete with a light switch in the headboard which is great if you move your arms at night - then you turn the light on !
No iron (as usual in Germany).
I was there on a business trip and there was nowhere in the room to work. The room was so small I just went out and came back when it was dark. had to leave the window open because of the stifling heat, and the stale smell.
Breakfast was nothing to write home about. I hardly ate anything. Couldn't wait to leave. This was the third of three hotels in Germany that I stayed in this week and it was the worst by a long long way.
Only stay here if you can't get anywhere else. It needs a big upgrade. its awful.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Domhnachdaoi

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Because of our location in the heart of munich, our building is surrounded by a lot of restaurants and also fast-food-restaurants. Meanehile we made a renovation and room 216 now also is now completely with new bathroom, carpets, aircon and many other new stuff. Our breakfast is normally very good - as you see in all other feedbacks - we are not sure what you were missing in our breakfast buffet.

While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotel is located very close to the centre of the old city and very convenient for sight seeing and travel.Our standard double room was small but comfortable and situated on the 4th floor overlooking the street. Due to lack of double glazing the noise from the pavement cafes and bars at night was so loud that sleep was difficult until the early hours. After that street cleaning and chiming clocks continued to interrupt sleep.Breakfast buffet was good and staff quite friendly and helpful. Good value apart from the noisy nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the block at the rear
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pinkwally
Christine-Stoehr, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen", responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

We want to apologize for the problems in the night. Our hotel is located in the heart of munich directly at a mainstreet. This could cause problems to guests who are sensible to noise. In this case, we recommend to book rooms with courtyard view, which are much more quieter.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon!