“Great location - medium service”
Review of Hotel Opera

Hotel Opera
Ranked #145 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Brussels
“Great location - medium service”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Arrived at 9.45PM. Quick check in, although no explenation about room, which floor, breakfast hours, no help offered with my suitcase. In fact nothing. I wanted to go out for a quick bite! Ask if there was the M restaurant nearby. No idea was the answer. No other help was offered. Location is good, rooms just ok, service???

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank svalkenborg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Finnish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This hotel is located in the center of Münich on a very quiet street. The rooms are very charming and romantic. The breakfast is served in there lovely garden in a traditional and elegant way. The rooms are a bit small but very cozy, so just in case you like alot of space please ask when booking about the size of your room. All the rooms are different so I am sure there will be no problem to suit your needs.

I love this little hotel, and am always pleased to go back.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jetsetter181
Spokane
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My wife and I also appreciated the perspective of the 7/25 reviewer. We just returned from an enjoyable 8-night stay at the Hotel Opera at the end of August. The Hotel Opera is an elegant, small hotel in the Lehel district of Munich, with a warm, friendly and gracious staff.

The location is fantastic! The hotel is just one block from the Lehel U-Bahn station, which gave us ready access to Munich’s wonderful transit system. There are several great restaurants within a block of the hotel. Gandl and La Stanza were fantastic with great food and very personable service. Pequenos had remarkably good margaritas (one can not live by beer alone!).

Our third floor room was spacious with a very comfortable bed (actually two twins pushed together). The small, but very adequate bathroom was all marble and had excellent lighting. Water pressure and temperature were also great.

The included breakfast (coffee/tea, juice, meats, cheeses, and lox with a basket of fresh bread and rolls) is elegantly served at linen covered tables either in the charming courtyard (on warm days) or the beautiful winter garden or breakfast room. I don’t know about you, but we don’t usually eat breakfast using fine china and silver. It was simply elegant. We did opt out of breakfast a couple of days just to vary things a bit.

Our stay did include several days with temperatures in the upper 80’s and lower 90’s (Fahrenheit). Even with the window open, our street front room didn’t cool down that much. The weather cooled down the last several days of our stay and the room was far more comfortable. A fan (not available during our stay) would have helped substantially with that, and also with some of the late night noise that we noticed. Munich has a very active nightlife that seems to last through the early morning hours.

Anyone looking for a small, elegant hotel with wonderful service in a great area of Munich should certainly consider the Hotel Opera.

Room Tip: We booked through Booking.com, but followed up directly with the hotel via email to confirm our rese...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spokaneroxie
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I 100% agree with the review 25 July 2011, this is a wonderful hotel. Our room was 3rd floor street facing and no noise problems over 4 night summer stay. Hotel is well presented with beautiful public areas. Staff provide friendly, responsive and excellent service. Breakfast service and area is a delight to enjoy. Lehel is a pleasant neighbourhood with great restaurants a short walk away or quick subway trip elsewhere. Would stay here again when in Munich.

• Stayed August 2011
NYC
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The disparity among reviews re this property is very unusual in my experience of being guided by Trip Advisor reviews in selecting hotels. I decided to ignore the negative reviews and hope for the best since my husband and I were going to be staying for just 2 nights. Fortunately, our experience alligns with those people who spoke highly of the hotel. First and foremost, the location cannot be beaten--as many have said. The neighborhood is absolutely charming and it is near everything--either by walking or jumping on the UBahn. Second, the common areas are beautiful. The decorations are very tasteful and nothing looked worn when we were there. Indeed, it was quite the contrary. And the courtyard is just wonderful. My husband and I enjoyed a nightcap in the courtyard around midnight and found it the perfect spot in which to end a perfect evening of walking around Munich. Third, our room was lovely. The furnishings were quite elegant, the bedding very comfortable, the storage very clever, and the window seat overlooking the street, an unexpected plus. The bathroom was somewhat small but well designed. Fourth, the breakfast was pleasant. Fifth, I found the staff very pleasant and accomodating. There had been a disconnect between the type of room which had been confirmed through hotel.com and the one that was reserved at the hotel. Once I made the hotel aware of that inconsistency, the hotel management made a moderate downward adjustment to our nightly rate which suited us perfectly. Finally, we found the hotel very quiet and, indeed, based on the number of adults and children at breakfast, the hotel was quite full. Also, we kept all our windows open at night and heard little, to no, noise outside. Perhaps, we just were very lucky. Bottom line, we found The Opera to be a wonderful hotel and look forward to staying there when we return to Munich--which we will most definitely do.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MKCNyc
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2011

When I first arrived I was absolutely overwhelmed by how nice this little hotel in the heart of the city APPEARED. The rooms are well appointed and the location appeared to be close to everything, yet off the beaten path. They do charge for internet but not an unreasonable amount.
My advice to anyone planning on staying here is DON'T!!!! especially if you plan on getting any sleep. My first observation that the hotel is off the beaten track is completely incorrect. The noise in the rooms from the people in the nearby square and on the street is unbearable, the buildings funnel the noise right into your room (even with the windows closed). I am sitting awake in my room right now....it's 2:00 am. Adding insult to injury, if you ever do get to sleep workers start milling around in the street making noise about 6:00 am. I can normally sleep through anything (even a smoke alarm). I have stayed here 4 nights and have not had a good night sleep yet. The only possible benefit from this is I won't suffer from the influences of jetlag because I will be so tired when I return that I will just sleep through everything.
What a way to ruin what has otherwise been a great trip to Munich!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank CDNProf
Frankfurt
Reviewed 25 February 2010

- Beautiful common areas
- Room very cute, but bit on the smaller side
- Bathroom well appointed, small but efficient
- Room very quiet
- Location very nice in a quiet residential neighbourhood, but 2 minutes walk to Maximilianstrasse, the main shopping street
- Breakfast nice, with full service
- All staff very nice and efficient

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple