“If you like Kitsch it is excellent!”
Review of Hotel Opera

Hotel Opera
Ranked #143 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Brussels, Belgium
“If you like Kitsch it is excellent!”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Everything in this hotel is more or less kitsch - the strangely painted black-white facade; white baroque furniture in the entree; plaster busts and statuettes in the courtyard; drawings of egyptian antiquities in the room....
The first room which I got (for me as a single traveller) was rather more like in a bordel...huge mirrors allover..the room not more than 11 m2....I requested an other one and got it, it was also strangely decorated, had a tiny bath room (3 m2....) and no windows but only a sort of veranda into the interior court. The veranda itself is a nice and calm place to stay, but can get hot thanks to the huge glass windows...I could not sleep well because there was no tight curtain against daylight....
The staff at reception and breakfast is really nice and helpful, but overall the place is very kitschig and strange....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank wolfgang s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Finnish first
ehingen
Reviewed 9 July 2012

this little hotel in the old part of münchen is quiet , elegant and very romantic! very nice rooms,
not so big but cosy. suite no 48 is really romantic, although there is no aircondition and no
fridge. the opera is located in a very quiet, little street and in walking distance to the center of the
town, the opera and the elegant shopping areas as maximilianstrasse, brienner strasse etc
some other good hotels like the famous vier jahreszeiten and the mandarin oriental are only 5 minutes away. also some good restaurants like the austernkeller and the pusser`s bar are close.
the staff is well trained, 24 hour room service, little bar, but no restaurant.
enjoy the breakfast in the little garden

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 13hawaii
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed here for the first time (usually love the Bayrischer Hof) and liked the hotel. We had a suite, which was roomy and nice. The hotels style is a bit french, opulent with some kitschy details, but cosy and the atmosphere is friendly. The hotel is situated near the Maximilianstrasse and in a good walking distance to many places. Breakfeast was served in the romantic courtyard and was very good- eggs in all styles could be ordered as well as fruit salat. It is not a first class hotel and the room had some probs( one TV did not work, shower, some areas a bit worn out) but well managed and worth the price. We will come back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Daniela M
Saint Paul, MN
Reviewed 13 June 2012 via mobile

This small hotel in Munich was extremely classy. Not modern at all, but their restorations have really let the historic qualities of this place shine through. The rooms are big and the bathrooms are amazing. The staff is extremely friendly and helped us find everything we needed. Very simple but delicious breakfasts are offered at the hotel. Bavarian Salmon and rolls, nice cheeses and meats, cakes, coffee, everything. I would absolutely stay here again. There is no Air Conditioning in the rooms, so please beware if it's really hot during your stay.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Scratchpaper
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I recently stayed here on a brief business trip to Munich. For my last 4 trips to the city, I have stayed at the Platzl hotel which is situated in the old town and has always been comfortable but I wanted to try somewhere different, mainly because the company I was visiting had moved offices. I was a little concerned as a lot of the reviews I have read have commented on the size of the hotel and its rooms but having seen some of the photos I thought I would take the chance as I have always preferred a hotel with a bit of character and not modernised to the hilt. I arrived at the hotel at around 9.30pm after a longer than planned flight, worried that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere decent to eat and was greeted by a friendly receptionist who pointed me in the direction of the nearest restaurant, which was less than a minute's walk away (a lovely Italian restaurant called Salotto). Back to the hotel and my room, the first thing I noticed was the size of my hotel room door which was huge and I wondered whether I had been booked into a luxury suite without me knowing! It was an old fashioned key job no cards and when I walked into the room I immediately fell in love with the grandness of it. I am not going to guess what century the building was first constructed in but it had masses of character (including a chandelier!). The bathroom was small but had plenty of room to put all of my things and the shower was new and powerful enough. However the real icing on the cake was the surprise discovery of a covered balcony that was attached to the room,. It was really a mini conservatory with a table and chairs and beautifully decorated. The room was also the perfect temperature for a very cold night and very peaceful. The next morning after finding it very hard to get out of bed I wandered down to the reception area at around 10.30, mistakenly thinking that breakfast was served until 11. I was informed that it was served until 10 but they could still bring me some food which consisted of a bread basket and cold meats which was all I really needed and it was all delicious( I am not sure what you get with the full breakfast). The only thing I can mention which may be a downside to some is that the room only has a very small 14" tv but if the purpose of your trip is not to stay in bed all day and watch it then I would not let this put you off at all. I was very impressed by my stay here and only wish I were staying another night!

Room Tip: I was in room 37, it was at the end of a corridor and very quiet. I am not sure which side of the ho...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank bongobrown
Athens
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We stayed at the apartment next to the hotel which had ample space for all four of us. The location is very nice since you can walk to the Center and is right next to the underground.
The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous, although they were very busy most of the times.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Qryche
Plattsmouth Ne
Reviewed 1 November 2011

If you like marble floors, crystal chandeliers, in an elegant 19th century building, and if you appreciate efficient and friendly service, I recommend the Opera Hotel on St Anna Street in Munich. I was escorted to my room by the desk staff. The room was cozy, comfortable and beautifully furnished. There were French doors opening onto a flower laden balcony which overlooked a beautiful courtyard. The bathroom fixtures were black marble. A very nice breakfast was served in a plesant breakfast room at a linen covered table set with silver and hand painted porcelain. The friendly and plesant staff spoke better English than I speak German, but patiently endured my less than perfect use of their language. I especially appreciated the efforts of the reception manager, Lisa Kraus. Lisa is a lovely young woman with a degree in hotel management, who speaks four languages. She went out of her way to get me opera tickets and to manage numerous schedule changes. My night at the Opera, and my stay at the Opera Hotel were one of the highlights of my most recent trip to Munich.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo