“Excellent location - friendly.”

Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt
Ranked #34 of 390 Hotels in Munich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I received excellent service from staff prior to my arrival as I was late to check in due to Lufthansa losing my luggage. Staff were extremely helpful. During my stay they could not help enough - even after check out my flight did not leave until late that night, they kept assisting me with recommendations, directions etc to different shops, Beer houses, restaurants, attractions etc.
The breakfast (included in cost) was to die for, very nice and plenty of it. this hotel is about a minutes walk to the centre main shopping - action part of Munich.
Will stay here again and highly recommend it to other travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms OK - all on the same side of the building.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Brad G
DirkKupfer, Manager at Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Brad G.,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to complete this review and for sharing your positive comments with everyone.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service, breakfast and team members were all to your complete satisfaction throughout your stay.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time in our hotel, it is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

Thanks for letting us know that you would return! We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Munich very soon.

With kind regards,
-Assistant General Manager-

Write a ReviewReviews (1,328)

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Let's start with the positive points: this hotel is very well located, clean and with a very nice breakfast. But...and the problem here is that we definitely have a big BUT ...it's undergoing repairs and there is (i.e. like Yesterday) an deafening noise of a DRILL so loud it seems it is inside of the rooms. This noise yesterday started in the morning and finished around 7pm. Other negative point: when we used the search filter for a hotel WITH parking on booking.com we found this hotel on the list. What happens is due to the construction you have to park your car 2 blocks far from the hotel...and it is a public parking. Well, when I did the research I was not interested in how many public parkings I could find in the city of Munich, I justed wanted to find a hotel with a parking.
This is why I unfortunately can not give this place a better review. And I say unfortunately because I tend to believe that in normal conditions it could be a very nice place to stay. But please, just run away if you come with a car or if you don't want to be awakened in the morning by a drill.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank FiorellaSP
DirkKupfer, Manager at Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Fiorella,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments about your experience with us. I can assure you that both positive and negative feedback is highly appreciated.

Please let me apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the reservation on Booking.com. Like I try to explain during your stay, we already changed the entry on this page some months ago, that we do not have a garage "on site" at the moment.
But even if we had a garage, it would not be a guarantee, that you can a have free place, especially if all places were full.
This is the reason why we recommended the public garage just around the corner (60 meters).

And on all pages (even on your confirmation) you will find the information, that we have a small construction in our hotel. To keep noise disturbances on a minimum level, renovation work will only take place between 10am and 6pm. I am very sorry, that on one day the workers worked a little bit longer until 7pm.

We are hoping that you will give us the chance to show you next time, what we are building for you and our guests.

With warm regards from Munich,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this hotel, and it remains one of our favorites. Located in a quiet and pleasant street just off of the main pedestrian zone, we couldn't have dreamed of a better location -- especially in Munich where so many central hotels are located in the seedy area near the train station. The staff were phenomenal, very friendly, very helpful. The rooms were a good size and comfortable. The free mini bar was appreciated, and the breakfast was also really good. We spent several nights here and will definitely come back here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank emmalotus

Dear guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience at Mercure Munich Altstadt.
Thank you for the positive comments regarding the hotel services, especially our staff. I will share your comments with the team and recognize them for their outstanding efforts.

Hopefully, you will be able with your next stay to experience our brand new bistro which will open this autumn.

Thank you for making us your choice in Munich and hope you will visit us again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Good location to see all the city has to offer.Very helpful and friendly staff nothing was to much trouble. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice.Rooms were clean with free mini bar (limited stock)
Would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank halfslug
DirkKupfer, Manager at Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear halfslug,

Thank you for the awesome review.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed our hotel as well as location.
Thank you for mentioning our staff has providing exemplary service during your stay.
I will definitely share your comment with our team members!
Do not hesitate to contact us when you are visiting Munich so we can ensure another great stay!

Warm regards.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Hotel is an older property or at least had that feel. Small room and bathroom despite a full price. The staff needs a serious attitude adjustment. I contacted the manager regarding the attitude of the staff and they were not interested in listening. Breakfast was very good though and the location is great.

Parking is an issue at the hotel but there are many garages nearby so do not worry about it filling up.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nick O

Dear Nicholas,

Thank you for staying at our hotel.
First of all please accept my apologies again that you were not happy with your check-in.
But I am a little bit surprised, that you think I would not be interested in your opinion and your complaint. You received a very long answer by email one day after your complaint on the 4th of April.

But let me explain the complaining matter again:
Your reservation was made for one person (there are options to change the numbers of adults on the reservation page).
We are offering cheaper rooms if you are staying alone in the room. But of course you cannot benefit from this special condition if you are arriving with a second person.
And the additional charge for the second person (35,00 Euro per night) is exactly the difference what you would pay if the booking would be made for two persons.

Did you know that you can also book a Junior-Suite (30m²) instead of a double room? It is just 40,- Euro extra per night and you have a lot of space more to feel yourself at home.
Or for just 100,00 Euro per night extra you could choose our Superior-Suite (60m²) with kitchen, dining area and two queensized beds in the bedroom.

With regards from Munich.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Ole Levenhart A

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We decided on this hotel based on reviews and location. We were not disappointed. It is about 100 yards off the main pedestrian shopping area 3 or 4 minutes walk from Marianplatz and the market. Everything we wanted for our weekend break was on the doorstep. The hotel was spotless throughout. We were very pleased with our room, not overly large but clean and comfortable and a lovely modern bathroom. The beds were comfy, the room air conditioned and a fridge with free water and apple juice. The hotel was not large, there was no bar area as such but a small reception area and a lovely breakfast room, where an excellent selecion was on offer every morning, including hot dishes of eggs, sausage and bacon.
I can only say all the staff at hotel were friendly and helpful, right through from the room maid,
all the ladies serving in the breakfast room, to the two young ladies working on reception. If I am being totally honest, one was extremely helpful and always greeted us with a smile, the other always seemed to look very serious and less friendly, but that having been said, I would not hold that against the hotel, we all have the odd off day. I would say my overall feeling with our 3 night stay was 99% positive. I would stay here again for sure if visiting the city again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank NorwichGangad
DirkKupfer, Manager at Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write your detailed review on TripAdvisor further to your stay at our property. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay.

We really appreciate your comments and look forward to your visit again.

Sincerely Yours,