“Great location”
Review of Hotel Helvetia

Hotel Helvetia
Ranked #211 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Hotel is rather good, breakfast are good and tasty, for the price of hotel and location is great

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank IgorMIzmail

Reviewed 1 October 2010

My stay here cost me 179 euros per night. Admittedly this was during Oktoberfest when all Munich hotels charge rip off rates but at this rate the Helvetia is appalling value.
The hotel is situated on a somewhat seedy side street near the station next to a kebab shop. The street is lined with takeaway places and strip bars.
Lobby and stairs etc. are very depressing. The room was clean but quite small and not very attractive to look at. The walls were quite scuffed but the furniture and bathroom fittings were in decent condition in fairness. However it just did not feel comfortable. Directly underneath the bed sheets and visible, as the sheets which were not tucked in around the mattress sides, was a plastic mattress liner. I get the point about hygiene but it did make me wonder... and further it meant that the bed itself was too hot. The TV had a small selection of stations - only one of which was not German language. Breakfast was actually quite nice. The restaurant does not open for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Tony_No
Reviewed 17 June 2010

Located just blocks from the Hauptbahnhof, the Helvetia is a great launch pad for all the sights in Munich. I didn't think the neighbourhood was as sketchy as some would say in these reviews.

The fellow at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

The room was pretty clean. It was small, but not so bad. Breakfast was good, but nothing to write home about.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2010

This is a great hotel. It is literally 2 minutes from central station and only a short and wonderful walk (maybe 15 minutes) down Kaufingerstrasse (pedestrianized) to Marienplatz. Alternatively, you can take the subway because the hotel is on the subway line too. Great breakfast, very clean, and friendly and helpful staff. There are a few strip clubs across the street, but for the price and location, and without children, it’s certainly worth the stay. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2010

A good hotel, 10 minutes walk from the centre. Railstation, metro, S-bahn 5 only 5 minutes walk...The recepiton was very helpfull and polite,(Few weeks before our trip, we asked for tickets for an event and we paid them, when we checked out !). We had three rooms (one double, one triple and one with four beds) on the 3rd floor. They were spacious enough and very quite...We had reach breakfast and the lady who served us was very polite, too.
The only "negative" was that there was no lobby, so we could meet our friends...
I recommend this hotel for those who want to be close to everything in Munich and want a hotel "Value for money".

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2009

There were 3 of us 1 couple + 1 other & we stayed for 2 nights. Initially I was a bit concerned by the noisy street adjacent to one of the rooms, but at night the double glazed window seemed to take care of that & I'm a very light sleeper. I slept like a log all night. This problem would not arise with one of the rear rooms away from the street. The breakfast was as good as any we had on our 6 weeks European jaunt so I would disregard previous comments about lousy small breakfasts. If you're arriving by train it is only 5 minutes or less from the main station & most of the tourist sites are in short walking distance. Sure there are better hotels but you' ll have to pay more for them. I'm sure the hotel has been upgraded in the last 24 months so I would tends to ignore adverse comments prior to that.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank Rona66
A TripAdvisor Member
Amsterdam, NL
Reviewed 30 August 2004

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in two different rooms, and I must say, it has some problems. First of all, prepare for lots of noise - the walls are paper-thin. You'll hear whatever your neighbours do very, VERY clearly - not to mention people walking in the hallway and the like. I can't say it's the cleanest. The hotel is quite shabby-looking, there's paint chipping everywhere... The linen was clean, that's true - but there were stains on both towels and the carpet in the two rooms I stayed in. The bathrooms and toilets aren't clean either and obviously aren't cleaned daily. I've found so much other people's hair in the shower drain, you could make a wig out of it! Shower heads spray water very unevenly, they may as well not be there. You get two towels, but they are both minuscule in size, it's impossible to take a shower and dry with one of those. Beds are quite uncomfortable, and one of the nights I got a pillow that seemed normal, but got so flat once I laid down that it was like a tortilla. On the plus side, the location is excellent and the staff is nice and knowledgeable. To sum it up, I've stayed in places this inexpensive in other cities (Paris, Amsterdam, places in England... ) that were way more comfortable and pleasant...

• Stayed: January 2005, travelled on business