“Fifth visit so it must be good”
Review of Euro Youth Hotel

Euro Youth Hotel
Brisbane, Australia
“Fifth visit so it must be good”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I started staying here during my early backpacker days as it was cheap and clean with small dorm rooms, since that first stay I have come back a number of times and stayed in both the small dorms and the private twin rooms with my sister.

On this occassion I stayed in a private twin room with ensuite. Both the room and bathroom were clean and tidy. You did have to keep pressing in the shower button thing to keep the water flowing, but remember it is a hostel. The shower head also wasn't the best, but you can get not so great shower heads in hotels as well (which we did this time around). And as I said to my sister there has to be a downside when it is selling 2 euro beer, and it is the best beer in the world! And a slightly less than great shower isn't too bad of a downside.

The location is very handy particularly if you are having a quick over night stay as it is very close to the main train station, and is only a quick walk to get to Marienplatz.

They had implemented a swipe card system this time around, whereas they had only ever had a key system before, so this may strengthen what was already pretty good secuity.

They have a laundry which is well priced, even if the dryers do take a little while, and they do provide tips for reducing the dryer time.

The staff were helpful if we had any questions, and the guys in the bar very amusing and welcoming. We could leave our luggage no problem when we arrived before check in time which was very helpful.

We only stayed the one night this time and had an early train the next morning so didn't have the breakfast this time around, but previously it has been basic but good with the usual rools, cheese, meats, orange juice etc.

Would I stay again? Yes
Would I recommend to friends? Yes, and have done previously, but remember it is a hostel after all, which means its a great place to meet people particularly if travelling alone

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Good location, good bar, helpful and friendly staff and a good atmosphere. The beds were comfortables. They had a new keycard security system and it wasnt working fine. The breakfast was average but it was at a good price. But the rooms had a lot of dust and I am allergic to it, so I didnt had a good sleep.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

Always keep in mind this is a youth hostel. So of you're young and want a cool place to stay with a decent bar, this works.
For the slightly older traveler. Th privat rooms work really well. They are clean, the bathrooms and showed rooms are clean and the staff is friendly.
Breakfast is good as filling!
Location couldn't be better. Main train station is right down the street.
Well worth it!!

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

Munich was one of the only places in my 2 month Europe trip where I didn't book accommodation in advance. I originally walked towards the wombats city hostel where I came across this hostel. I found both the room and breakfast were cheaper and expected a dodgy place judging from the outside. This hostel was perfect especially for the price I paid. I found the room extremely spacious. They have a bathroom roster where someone cleans them every 4hours. The location is beyond great! I highly recommend this hostel. don't judge it from the outside!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Judyyeh
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Excellent staff and prices. Rooms are cleaned, fantastic rooms, washing facilities! No complaints! In a great location, close to the main train station. Happy hour every night for 3 hours. Really was a great hostel/hotel.

Room Tip: Stayed on the firstfloor in a 8 bed doorm.
Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here for 3 night during X'mas. First of all, they made a mistake which me cannot stay in the double room with bathroom that I booked. The recepition gave me a story/excuse about making such mistake. I can only either choose the room on the 6th floor which is usually charged more for guest or a twin room without bathroom. As a private bathroom is very important to me, I had no choice and chose the room on 6th floor. I check-in and returned to hostel about 5 hours later so that they can get the room ready. (1) the room is really dirty - dust and dirt on the floor. 2) breakfast is crap - The worst breakfast I had during my entire stay in Germany( even worst than the next block - Wombat's which I stayed few year ago). I just had toast with honey. 3) heating is not working in bathroom 4) the shower sink will become a pondpool when you had shower. 5) no one-change your towel & swip the floor during 3 night stay. 6) tv in the room is smaller than a computer monitor. The images/screen is not readable.
After checkout, I found that I may leave a pack of chargers behind - phones, work blackberry, camera... It is very important! I called on the night. Nightshift reception dropped down all info and said they don't know if anyone is staying in the room. Ok fine. Maybe nightshift cannot check the key box. Im told no need to write an email and call again in the morning. I called in the morning around 830 - they said they have not checked yet and asked me to call again at 930 when morning shift on duty. Fine. I called 945.
(Amazing part starts!)
Morning shift said nightshift checked the room. No leftover.
I questioned as nightshift just replied an hour ago they had not checked.
Reception: I thought nightshift checked and could you send us an email?
Damn! Im so anxious
Me: can you just check the room? as i need to catch the train to munich in next 30 mins.
Reception: there may be guest staying in the room, we cannot check.
Me: do you know anyone is staying in the room?
Reception: We re not sure if anyone is staying in the room.
Bloody hell! If reception doesnt know, who knows!
Me: can you check if receiption still has the key? if receiption has the key, no one is staying the room! if reception has deposit, someone checked in.
Reception: we have the key. Can you send me an email?
Me: ( i started become impatient & raise me tone!) Could we just skipped the email part? I have called 3 times (it s not local phone! €2 per minute!!!) and you have all the inform from me & night shift & you still ask me to send you email?
.......... (How brilliant! RECEPTION HANGED UP THE PHONE!)
I called again in 15 mins all becoz of the chargers!!
Me: the line was cut
Reception: I hanged up coz I dont like people yelling at me. I had checked the room myself.......

damn you! If i m not yelling you would keep ignoring my calls, not action would be taken within 15 mins.
If you were me, u would be ask mad as me - calling 3 times, no one check anyone staying the room, i need to teach you how to check anyone is using the room, no one being responsive, and hostel has all info but still ask you to email & hang up the phone rudely!

That the worse place that I have ever stayed and never ever recommend it. If It is not becoz Wombat / Jagahas were fully booked, I would not be here at all! Ruin my holiday!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Samantha_fish
Española
Reviewed 15 December 2012

* The hotel is very well located. It is close to the Hauptbanhof which is connected to the airport by train (ticket costs about 10 euros and takes about 50min, but you can buy a ticket valid for the whole day till 6am next day public transport in Munich for 11,80).

In most cities the train station is a bad area but in this case it is a good area.

You can go walking to the center.

* Rooms are clean and big. I stayed during a very cold day there and the heating is terrific. I set the heating to the maximum and I felt like in the beach even if it was colder than -15C.

Showers are clean and the hot water works well. There´s a sink in the room.
Bathrooms and showers (there are different Bathrooms and showers for men and women) are clean since they´re cleaned every 1,5h or so.

If you have an individual room breakfast is included otherwise you have to pay 4,5. You can eat for breakfast: bread, mermelade, butter, cheese, salami, ham, boiled eggs (coloured), corn flakes, milk, juice, coffee, fruit.

During the whole day you can have free boiled water and tea, sherry. There´s a pot in the bar. Besides, during the Christmas you can ask for free hot wine in the reception. They give you the paper cups.

If you pay using credit card you have to pay 1€ extra.
They charge you 5€ extra for the key deposit and when you leave they give you the 5€ back.

Internet works well. I was in the 1st floor.
There´s a lively bar in the hotel basement. I heared some noise but it stopped around 1am (it was weekday) so taking earplugs just in case might be good.

Room Tip: There´s a bar in the basement, so taking a room far from it might be good.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo