“Great Location”

Hotel-Pension Schmellergarten
Ranked #242 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Me and two friends stayed here at the start of october for 3 nights for the purpose of experiencing Okotoberfest. The hotel is in a great location as it is a short walk to the Theresienwiese and has good transport links nearby. We were pleasantly suprised at how nice the accomodation was, (as we booked last minute and went in with low expectations) the room was basic but comfortable and we had to share WC and shower facilities however they were spotlessly clean and it was never a problem using them. There was breakfast served from 8am until about 11:30am which I thought was a nice touch (hangover friendly times) and the breakfast was a good quality buffet. We enjoyed our stay at the schmellergarten and we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 April 2012

The location is good which is close to U-Bhan station. I love this hotel and it is value for money. The staff is really nice too! They have wifi, hair dryer, adaptor ( to change to socket shape which is suit for your country). I love this place so much :)

Room Tip: Not sure higher floor can receive the wifi signal or not.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed here in late October 2011, and found this place to be just ok, for us. The selling point is the location, which is excellent- just around the corner from the Poccistr. U-bahn stop (catch U3 or U6), and only three or so stops to Marienplatz. It was perfect for us, in that sense and we couldn't have asked for better for that price!

We got a room with a shared bath, which meant one shared toilet between three rooms, and what appeared to be one shared shower between 6! The shared toilet was fine; we never encountered anyone else, and it was always clean. The shared bathroom was a pain in the butt, though! It was occupied a few times and I also had a few knocks/handle twisting while I was in there. They definitely need more showers!

The breakfast was good, and offered a decent range of cold foods (as well as warm hard-boiled eggs). The rooms were alright, nothing special. We had twin beds, which were comfortable enough, but with lumpy pillows. The flat screen tv and the sink in the room were the two highlights.

The main problem I had with this place (besides the shower) was the thin walls/ceiling! We could clearly hear people in the adjoining room every night, to the point of being able to make out their conversations. The worst part was the noise through the ceilings, though. We had room 1, which sits directly below the residence of the owners, so every morning from 6am we were woken with loud thumps and voices through the ceiling. NOT conducive to a good night's sleep!

Overall, a decent enough place, worth it for the location alone. For the price, you can't expect too much.

Room Tip: Avoid room one! SO much noise from the owner's residence above.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2011

I stayed for a couple of nights toward the end of August. The location was good; an easy 20 minute walk to the centre, and as noted it 's very close to the subway.

However. I had a single room on the ground floor, and I felt that the security aspect for a sole female traveler was not that good. The bathroom was perfectly fine, but I didn't feel the room itself was very clean. The bed was pretty uncomfortable, and when I requested an additional pillow as the one given was almost flat, it was provided, but with evident reluctance . There was also a lot of noise from the corridor and people using the adjoining bathroom.

I appreciate that Munich is an expensive city, but I really don't feel this pension was worth the money - 50 euros per night , for the quality of the room. Yes the breakfast was fine, but only typical of what I experienced in other pensions.

Room Tip: Avoid room on the ground floor
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank anna f
Reviewed 10 April 2011

For the price, this hotel was great! The two of us got a huge room (the hotel was fairly empty) with plenty of space and furnishings, including a nice new television. The decor was kind of funky but everything was clean. No room service, staff was very hands-off (gave us the key and told us to go for it) and make your own beds, which was fine for us. Delicious breakfast! Be warned though: a room with a "bath" gets you a shower but not a toilet so it's not an additional bathroom.

PROS: delicious breakfast, spacious rooms, clean, location close to fairly close metro and some good quick eats

CONS: curtain didn't block out any light, cold bathroom, squeaky steps and loud doors, residential area makes it a bit difficult to find

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clarity003
Reviewed 30 March 2011

Friendly staff, yummy breakfast, nice and close to central train stations, comfy rooms, only problem being thin walls. Otherwise everything else was GREAT!!! Happy to stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2011

This is a pension not a hotel. Reception is on the first floor using stairs that creak loudly, same going up to the second floor rooms. The laminate floors in the corridors creak and I don't mean just an odd squeak!! Bring your own towel and soap, though a single towel is provided it gets soaked just drying your hands. The curtains in my room were thin and ill fitting and by the way the floorboards were creaky as well! Most rooms appear to have a shower, no complaints there. Two shared toilets on each floor were clean enough and there was a shower room. Likewise there is a decent size shared fridge and microwave in the corridor. Breakfast very basic German style buffet with limited choice but I did not go hungry and the coffee was dispensed from a proper bean machine. Good points, the pension is on a quiet street, no bus or trams, Poccistr. U-bahn stop about 300 yards away (catch U3 or U6), bed was comfortable and surprisingly did NOT creak and the linen was clean. Even the floor creaks did little to disturb my sleep especially after a full day exploring Dachau KZ. Frau Kuhn the owner is very pleasant and eager to help and though her English is limited it did not hinder communication very much, even better if you have a smattering of Deutsch. Munich has BMW prices for it's hotels and even the very modest Schmellergarten can charge and get away with it, thank goodness for Berlin and Cologne. All in all the pension sufficed for my needs but it is a one star and well past a good refurbishment and if I had taken my wife with me I would probably be in the ICU of the nearest krankenhausen now!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo