“A basic hotel, but fine for a brief stopover” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Italia

Hotel Italia
Ranked #256 of 381 Hotels in Munich
Ipswich, Suffolk
“A basic hotel, but fine for a brief stopover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

We stayed here in August 2010 and the reviews since then suggest it may have taken a bit of a nose-dive in terms of quality! Although, I have to say, I found it perfectly acceptable.

We arrived by train and one of our main reasons for picking this hotel was it's proximity to Hauptbahnhof Central station. It was literally a 5 min walk. There's no ignoring the fact that the hotel is in the red light district, but it didn't cause us any problems. You have to walk past the places featuring "live shows" to get to the hotel, but that's no big deal. Our room was on the front if the hotel but it was double-glazed and we slept fine without any disturbance. Admittedly, we only stayed for 1 night and it was a Sunday so that may have been a reason why it was quiet.

The room itself was basic, but it wasn't very expensive so I wasn't expecting much! The young guy on reception was very helpful and took our bags in even though we arrived before the check-in time so that we could explore the city. He pointed out some things on a map to us and was generally very friendly.

The breakfast buffet was fine. A typical continental selection of items, nothing to write home about but, again, this reflects the cheap price of the room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

Hmmm...what I can I say about Hotel Italia.....well unfortunately nothing good :(

Location:Sleezy
Staff: Can you say RUDE??
Nightlife:.....What Nightlife.....

Munich, however is a great location providing you are in the right place. Hotel Italia....NOT the right place!! Me & my 2 friends stayed here for two nights that turned into 2 nights 2 long. Room, Very small place, with staff that obviously hate their job......... One nite one of the staff members felt the need to take to come up to out 'room' to shout and wake us up for some unknown reason...something about been too loud, well its not our fault that the wall's are made of paper!!!!

I wouldnt stay here again....ever...... a bustop, door shelter, mmmm anywhere would be better than here.......ANYWHERE......so dont book here, well unless you like this sort of thing:)

• 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Munich hotels

Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

This "hotel" is located in the red light district of Munich. its a sleazy dark uninteresting area. The audasity of the propietor to even call it a hotel is beyond me. Me and my 2 best friends (all 25!) went here at the last minute as our flights were changed. in the room were 3 beds with 3 excuses for pillows/duvets/facilities. No tea and coffee machine, terrible lighting and 1mirror. Its near the SBahn but nothing else. If live strip shows and drunken abusve men is your thing, go here!! The receptionist came to us one night after we arrived home from a great Irish pub in Marienplatz(killians) and when I opened the door to his intrusive knock, the first words from his mouth were "YOU WILL NOT STAY HERE AGAIN"... apparantly knocking on the bedroom door for your friend to open it is considered being noisy.. seriously anywhere but this hotel people, not worth the money.. You've been warned!!!

dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2010

Stayed in this hotel with friends recently!!it was possibly the worst stay of my life!! it is certainly in the red light district of munich!!the hotel staff were rude, the rooms were not what they looked from the hotel website! i will never stay here again under no circumstances....

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jennielaw
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

i stayed here during Oktoberfest 2010. We paid a fortune for this hotel and could not have been more disappointed. We arrived to find a rude receptionist in a dirty and grungy lobby, located next to strip clubs. The rooms were small and the bathrooms were inadequate. The room was so hot during the night we could barely sleep and the NOISE outside was absolutely unbearable. There were strippers and men screaming and curing until about 5 am. The room, although I was in a non-smoking room, REEKED of smoke to the point that I could barely breath. The first hour i was there, the safe automatically locked my passport and valuables in it and I could not open it. It took the staff 2 full days to obtain the "key" or personnel to open this safe. It was the biggest rip off I have ever experienced. BEWARE OF HOTEL ITALIA!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank lizjulia1022
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Italia recently for an Oktoberfest trip to Munich. The hotel is in the red light district of Munich, which is way less sketchy and seemingly safer than it sounds. HOWEVER.... there was a lot of "action" on our street (of people going to the strip clubs, sex shops, sirens, fights, etc.) all through the night and we did not get a lick of sleep the entire time. It was literally the loudest hotel room I have EVER slept in. I asked the front desk for earplugs but they didn't have any. They also have awful flat pillows. That being said... Its location is FANTASTIC for people going to Oktoberfest. We walked to and from the festival without needing the S/U bahns, and we were also able to easily walk to the center of Munich (Marienplatz) within about 10 minutes. It's also right by the Central Station, so it's a piece of cake to get anywhere else on the S/U bahns. They also provided free breakfast that was surprisingly delicious and varied.

We paid an arm and a leg for the room, as it was during Oktoberfest and we didn't book far enough in advance as we should have. I would stay there again only if attending Oktoberfest and if I brought ear plugs. I would not stay there if I was visiting Munich any other time of the year.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bloomingdale, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2010

I had terrible experience dealing with Management of this hotel. VERY unpleasant unpolite and unprofessional. I was supposed to stay in this hotel on April 20-21. I could not fly out from Belgrade (Serbia) due to volcanic eruption in Iceland and all airports being closed. I have called a day ahead to inform them that I may not be able to come, however if flights resume I will show up. I also called day of my trip and told them that I cannot come to Munich due to the fact that plains are not taking off from Belgrade. I spoke with reservations, with supervisor, and Management and all of them refuse to give me a credit and cancel my reservation, by saying that Munich airport was open for overseas flight and because I live in USA I could have come to hotel. NOBODY wanted to hear me that I actually was coming from within Europe. I disputed with my credit card but they still could not do anything and due to these people from Hotel. I will make sure I write this review in all possible review sites. I think that this people are so rood and unprofessional. I can only imagine how are they once you get to their hotel if they are rood like this over the phone. Hotel Italia, Munich, Germany…SUCKS ! ! !

Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple