“Cheap, Fun, Close to Rail Lines, Recommended!!”
Review of THE TENT Munich

THE TENT Munich
Reviewed 16 August 2011

After our plans of staying with some friends of ours fell through when they went on a last-minute holiday, we were left scrambling for a place to stay, and since we were already at the bottom of funds and hadn't accounted for 2 more nights, we had to come up with a cheap option, fast.

Luckily, we had some other friends meeting up from Berlin that were already booked that told us about it, so we checked it out. For the price, I definitely think It's unbeatable!

It was barely 20 euros for 2 nights stay, and while the accommodations were a little spartan (we stayed in the bunk beds in the main tent), it is an easy recommendation for budget-minded travelers. The spot itself, as the name implies, consists mainly of one large tent with stacks of bunk beds throughout. The staff was very sure to make sure the quiet time of 1am was very well enforced, so you can still get a decent night's sleep (so long as you're not too much of a light sleeper). Up til the 1am curfew though, there was a bonfire and all sorts of travelers from all over hanging out. The place itself is pretty, lush with flowers and vegetation, and everyone we met was really cool.

So long as you're not overly troubled by sleeping in relatively close proximity to many people (in which case, why are you checking out a place called 'The Tent'??), this comes as an easy recommendation for the budget-minded traveler.

Bonus: It is 1 short block from a rail line that heads to the main city center, which then can connect straight to the airport, perfect if, like us, you're heading straight home from Munich.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 August 2011

The hostel is cheap, even compared to other hostels in Europe, which is awesome. If you want to stay in Munich on a very tight budget, this is a great option. But it's not without flaws.

My biggest problem was how far away it is from everything - it's a 25-30 minute tram ride to get to the old city. It is convenient to Nymphenberg Palace and the Botanical Gardens, but that's about it. And the hostel is a good 10 minute walk from the tram stop to boot.

I was somewhat disappointed in the food options, and the fact that you can't bring your own drinks. The bunkbeds are hard, the tent area is noisy, even during quiet hours due to people shuffling in and whispering loudly, and I was cold at night (it was in the mid-50s outside, easily that cold inside too). They do provide you with blankets, but since I had to use one for a pillow, that only left me with two.

All those complaints aside, the people who work there are the friendliest I've encountered in Germany, and very helpful. When we checked out early they refunded us for the extra night, which was awesome. The common areas are fun, particularly the small bonfire, and the wifi was appreciated if slow. A great place to meet other travelers for sure. The showers were hot.

If I were to go back, I'd probably chose the camping option, as I think I'd be more comfortable in my own tent with a little bit of privacy and a warm sleeping bag.

Reviewed 11 August 2011

good alternative hostel. 15 minute tram ride away from main train station and city centre, so very easy to get around.
if you dont mind staying in a room with a lot of other people, then its a great hostel. very cheap homemade food on sight with a kitchen for you to cook yourself as well.
good common area, selling locally brewed beer at a very good price.
very relaxed atmosphere and was quite social, though the staff could have maybe done a bit more to integrate groups.
very helpful staff with free city tours every week.
would recommend

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2011

A great place to meet new people at a really cheap price. A bit cold so make sure you wrap up warm even during the summer months. Trams run to the site all night so you are able to go out in Munich. Toliets and showers really good standard and beer is cheap at 2 euros for 500 ml which is cheap for Munich. Great place.

1  Thank Summer2011Europe
Reviewed 10 July 2011

The place wasn't too bad, the bathrooms were clean, the breakfast was cheap and good. The tent itself however was a little on the smelly side. We couldn't figure out if the sheet on the bed had been washed, so we used one of the blankets we had been issued by the Tent, to sleep on. They issued us about 4 blankets each, and they were military wool blankets, so they were fairly warm. If you can stand the smell of the tent, then the place isn't too bad of a stay for the price. At least it is interesting. Lights go out fairly late, and quiet hours also start pretty late, however, they are strictly enforced. Wi-fi is available for free, and they can charge anything you need to charge inside the office.

Reviewed 3 June 2011

I was looking for a place to stay in Munich for 3 days at the begining of Oktoberfest . and it was the only available place
IT WAS AWESOME , I loved it form the first moment I arrived , very cheerful , amazing reception . free internet .and I was there alone , however I met with many travellers and I had very nice friends there. the place is AWESOME ! I highly recommend it .

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2010

By the time we got around to book accommodation for Oktoberfest all the hotels were gone so The Tent was our only option. As campsites go it's Ok. The site was very busy as it was Oktoberfest, it was hard to find a good spot to pitch the tent. Toilets and showers were dirty and always packed in the mornings. It took me 25 minutes to get into a shower and when I did the water was freezing! It get very very cold at night this coupled with the fact its very loud very early in the morning means a good nights sleep is impossible. Met some very friendly people, one guy offered us the use of his red dildo which was much appreciated!! I didn't enjoy the tent but that was probably because I'm now too old for that type of environment. The younger crowd sitting around the fire seemed to be loving their experience. Would I go again? No!! Would I recommend it to a young 20 year old who likes camping? Absolutely!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends