“Impressive, but unreliable”

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
Ranked #25 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I've stayed at the Sofitel many times. The location next to the main train station is unbeatable if you use the train for travelling.

The hotel still has a great, somewhat edgy design, wonderful spaces, really beautiful spa, amazing breakfast (including an amazingly high price;-) etc.

I've found that most people don't sleep well in the rooms that don't have an open window, same for me, although I don't know why, room climate is not great.

I gave only 1 point for service as I managed to forget my swimming trunks twice now, in both cases because I left them in the bath to dry and then forgot to pack them. In both cases, they were lost, i.e. I called the hotel in both cases with a week and my swimming trunks were gone. This is fairly disconcerting and may change my mind about staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Alexander_Moj, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for commenting on your experience during your last stays at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. It is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed the quality of service and the hotel's design.

Regarding the opportunity to open a window in your guest room, it is correct that there is a certain number of rooms where that is not possible, which is due to the construction of some guest rooms within the historical part of the building. In the majority of rooms, the windows can be opened and we gladly move guests from one room to another if desired.

Let me apologize for not being able to send back your swimming trunks upon request. This tells us we need to improve our process regarding lost & found items. Thank you for pointing this out, but I hope that you will not let this overshadow the general impression you had of our hotel.

I hope that you will give us another chance and that we may welcome you again soon at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost.

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Munich Bayerpost

Reviewed 24 January 2013

Decoration, rooms, breakfast, restaurant... They are all at the highest quality, service is perfect.
Location... You are not in the middle of shopping and restaurants, they are 1.5 km away. But just next to the main station.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Alexander_Moj, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for recommending us.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Central location, smart appearance, comfortable room & high quality service.

I took 24 work colleagues on 3-day reward trip to Munich in the run up to Christmas - we would have challenged the most efficient & courteous of establishments, however they handle our every moment with courtesy & efficiency.

I was lucky enough to stay in a suite which was superb, the standard rooms were also very good.

The Spa was exceptional as was service in the bar.

Location wise the hotel was on the main thoroughfare, right next to the central train station - perfect for the Christmas markets & for what Munich had to offer our party.

I would not hesitate to rebook when I next travel there - I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
Alexander_Moj, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Munich Bayerpost for your stay in Munich. We are constantly doing our best to offer our guests a memorable stay marked by our high quality of service. It is a pleasure to hear that you and your group had such a great time.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed at this lovely hotel for 4 nights in early January, taking advantage of the lack of crowds and the hotel's special of 4 nights for the price of 3 in a luxury room. The location near the train station, while not super classy, is convenient for transportation especially to the airport (which is quite far out of the city), not at all dangerous and really not far from the better areas of town. We walked everywhere despite rather cold weather.
The hotel itself is very modern but housed in a lovely 19C building so the ceilings are high and the spaces huge. Our room was large and had all the amenities you would expect of a 5* hotel - robes and slippers, Nespresso machine, kettle, iPod dock, reliable free wifi, hermes toiletries, rain shower etc. Everything was spotlessly clean. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the room was super quiet. Every staff member with whom we had dealings, from front desk to concierge to housekeeping was friendly and helpful. International newspapers are available every morning at the concierge desk.
Breakfast at 31E was rather expensive unless you were on an expense account. We thought the best deal for breakfast was upstairs at the Galleria Kaufhof department store at the far end of the pedestrian walkway (Marienplatz), where you could have eggs and ham or sausages made to order with juice and coffee for more like 10E each. Along the same strip, Rischart is a lovely place for coffee and fresh delicious cakes, people watching and a great view of the Rathaus. I believe they also serve continental breakfast and Sunday brunch.
We have been to Munich several times in the past and this was our best hotel experience. We will definitely stay at the Sofitel again the next time we are in Munich.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to hear that you had such a great time at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. Thank you for recommending us.

I am already looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Spent here 5 wonderful nights in a super big and cozy bed, with many pillows and mattresses and very warm duvets. Being italian, I have to say that the Nespresso coffee machine was very useful in order to start the day with the right foot. After being out all day long, swimming in the hot water of the swimming pool was very relaxing and soothing, as was taking a shower in the in-room bathroom.
Kettle and teabags we used a lot, although a more ample choice of teas would have been very welcome in such a room as that.
The view wasn't exceptional, but the location it was.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing about your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. It is always good to hear that our guests enjoy our offers and the quality of service.

If a refill of the products we offer in our guest rooms is needed, we gladly assist upon request. We also offer a wide range of tea specialties available through our room service.

It would be great to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Spent Christmas in Munich, yes it was wonderful :)

This hotel was a great place to be during this time of year, as it is within walking distance of the main shopping area and Christmas market. It is also next to the Munich Hauptbahnhof (main train station) which was very convenient as we arrived and departed via train, and also did a tour to Neuschwanstein Castle (Schloss Neuschwanstein) which left from this station.

Most things closed early on Christmas Eve, and remained closed on Christmas Day, so being next to the train station was very handy as it was still open. You could still travel that day and most of the food establishments were open, including a little grocery store. This was less expensive than eating at the hotel (and we thought it was fun!).

Second time to a Sofitel and it did not disappoint. A very good hotel with one of the nicest hotel pools I have ever seen. Treated myself to a Christmas day massage at the spa. A little pricey but excellent. Loved the layout of the room which was also very spacious.

A nice little touch was on Christmas day, we received a little Christmas "gift" from the hotel of cookies, and sample sized face products (available for purchase in the spa). This small gesture was really nice for everyone who was not at home for the holidays. It's the little things that make a visit memorable.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. Christmas really is a wonderful time to spend in Munich and it is good to hear how much you enjoyed the atmosphere and the city.

It is important to us to make our guests almost forget that they are not at home for the holidays with a little gift. It was a pleasure doing our best to make this stay a memorable one for you.

Thank you for recommending us.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

My husband and I booked the Sofitel through Expedia special offer for 180usd. We were going to the Bau 2013 fare in Munich and were traveling by car. We were greeted by a very helpful doorman, who took care of the car parking(31eur per night) and gave us the directions to the fare. Upon departure we got 2 bottles of water for the road, which was a nice touch. The reception people were frindly and gave us some tips for restaurants in the area - there are a few persian restaurants and we tried one of them. The hotel is close to shopping.The restaurant in the hotel as well as the bistro are expensive but that was expected from a 5* facility, the breakfast is 30eur, which is ridiculous by any standards(I cannot imagine that I would ever eat so much for breakfast to warrant this cost). We did not have a chance to try the spa but it seemed pretty popular with guests. The hotel itself is huge, so that in areas it feels empty. I do not care much for the dark interior that they have going on there, I think it is so early 2000:-), when many hotels thought that they needed to resemble a night club. The rooms are good size and comfortable with huge comfortable beds, spacious shower. Also the hotel is built within the original facade of the original building - there are more floors now - so the room that we stayed in did not have a direct view to the outside, so it was quite dark for my taste. I like a lot of light and cannot imagine to stay there for longer then a couple of nights. I had a great night sleep, though. In general, I would recommend it to anybody, who comes to Munich by train(the train station is litteraly right next door) and who does not need to stay for a long time, unless there are better rooms in there with more light. For us it was a good value. I do not know, if I would be willing to pay more fot it.

Room Tip: if you like a lot of light make sure that your room has windows directly outside
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Alexander_Moj, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for this very precise description of Sofitel Munich Bayerpost's layout. Of course, design is always a matter of taste and building a hotel within a historical facade is a challenge.

The concept of the hotel is based on "flowing lights", i.e. you'll perceive very different light effects depending on the time of day.

The whole team strives for making our guests' stay a comfortable one marked by quality and service. It is good to hear that we achieved this during your time of stay.

I hope that we may welcome you again soon.