“Wonderful duplex suite.”

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
Ranked #23 of 388 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is our second stay here and we also stay at Sofitel hotels quite frequently. The hotel itself is very, very nice, in fact the hotel is a 5 star by every stretch. It is convenient to the train station (100 yards), very well maintained, modern, and the stafff can be very friendly. I especially commend the front door bell hops and valets as being exceptional. The downside is the front desk staff can be a bit testy and you don't necessarily get what you request.

Last time I stayed here I had similar issues. I had notified the hotel in advance that I would be arriving early and requested a room early. I never heard back that this would be impossible. When we arrived, we were treated as if we were requesting something ridiculous from them and the request was a bother. It got to the point wheŕe I simply walked away and came back a few hours later.

The next issue was I had requested and paid for in advance, a two story prestige suite with a view of the Alps and floor to ceiling glass window out of which to view them. What I received was a very nice two story room, but the view was of a Chinese restaurant and the busy street down below. There wasn't an Alp in sight let alone anything to look at.

I will say that there is a young guy working at the hotel from Peru who is absolutely amazing. They need to pay him more as he made the trip fun.

If you do stay, the hotel is five minutes walk to downtown to the ice rink and the beginning of the shopping district. If you want a quick bite in the morning the train station is right there, also very convenient for day trips to other areas. The food at the hotel is fairly good but you will pay hotel prices. Within 5-10 minutes walk on the main stretch you have everything from Chinese, Pizza, McDonalds or traditional beer halls. You also have nice shopping. The area is fairly safe but I would not let me teenagers go around the train station after dark.

The other thing was the beds were terribly uncomfortable. The king sized bed on the second floor of the loft was two beds pushed together. They should tell people this when they book the room. The beds were also lacking in quality when compared to other Sofitel hotels I've stayed at. The rooms were very clean howevèr.

I also need to comment on the suitcase drop off at the room. This is a two story room. Why do I want to carry a full suitcase up a flight of narrow stairs? I'm paying for a service. This sounds snobbish,, but that is what we are paying for.

It is sad to say that I don't know if I will be back to this hotel, as I really do love the place. It is amazingly convenient, comfortable, and beautiful but the workers are too hit or miss and some of the things that need changing are being changed like the above.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor which was convenient with the stairs that go directly to the ground floo...
1  Thank jmoonesq
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us this detailed feedback on your recent stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. I am glad to hear that our hotel itself convinced you and that we could welcome you again at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. However, I am very sorry to hear that you did not experience the high standard of service that you may well expect from us.

First of all, please let me apologize for not offering you the room you had booked initially. We upgraded you to one of our beautiful duplex Opera suites hoping to offer you a little treat for your stay. As it seems, we failed as this suite does not offer the view in direction to the Alps that you expected. Please rest assured that we have noted your preference for further stays so that something like this will not occur again.

Also, please let me apologize for not answering your request for an early check-in and for the way we handled the situation upon arrival. This clearly does not reflect the high level of service our five stars stand for.

In Germany it is quite common that a double bed is made up of two individual mattresses. However, we are glad to arrange the bed like a single mattress upon notice. Of course, luggage should always be delivered to the upper floor of our duplex suites. I thank you for pointing this out to us. I already spoke to the responsible department head and we are training all our porters again on how and where to deliver any baggage items.

Apart from all this, it is good to hear that our staff members found a way to make your stay, nevertheless, a pleasant experience. I hope that, as a loyal Sofitel guest, you will give us another chance to prove that we can do better. It would be great to welcome you back again at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed in the Sofittel a very nice hotel, good service and a very good resaurant. The only point of concern is the breakfast of 31 € pp. We thought that the price of the breakfast was to much and should be included int the price for the room. Nevertheless we will go there again.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We offer different rates, depending on the guest request, icluding some with breakfast included. Our reservation team is always glad to help you find the best option.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

A beautiful hotel with great service. Rooms were excellently designed with windows positioned for a view of an interior hallway. A wall of windows to exterior kept noise out but also provided plenty of natural light. The rooms are high enough for complete privacy.
The food was delicious. There is only one word for the breakfast…fabulous. I have never seen such a variety of food and drink…and everything was fresh. Can not say enough positive things about this hotel…wonderful place.

1  Thank Michael Ann B

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

Hotel could be great, but it misses the details that could make it a true 5 star hotel.

Location - very close to the main train station. Not a very pleasant area - ok during day but would not be wandering around at night. Marianplatz is 15/20 mins walk away. Taxi home on one night cost 20 euro! We did think we were ripped off but reception staff said it was normal! Checked the next day with a friend in Munich, who knows the direct route by car and estimated it should have been 8 euro.

Check-in
Very efficient, but no acknowledgement was made that the trip was for our wedding anniversary.

Rooms
Comfortable. nespresso machine with 6 pods per day. Bose sound dock did not work. Poor selection of tv channels. Turn down was excellent. We availed of the shoe shining service, but unfortunately they forgot to shine the shoes with the policy left on when returned. this meant having to finish it ourselves.

Spa
Could be great but it was made unpleasant by many people ignoring the rules. We even some americans americans walking through the spa in their clothes with luggage and staring at people (were they even guests?). Our spa experience in the Sofitel Hamburg was very positive. Unfortunately, here was very poor.

Bar - Very nice and was lively on the Saturday night.

Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. I am glad to hear that, in general, you had a really nice stay at our hotel. However, please let me address the points you mentioned.

Our location has as well advantages as disadvantages. The latter, like those you describe, we are working on together with the station management and the city of Munich. Nevertheless, our location also offers great access to all means of public transport and is only a few minutes walk from the city center. We always recommend this means of transportation as Taxi prices in Munich are indeed rather high.

If we have information of a stay being for a special occasion we are always delighted to welcome our guests with a little "extra". I am sorry to hear that, however, you did not receive any recognition for your wedding anniversary.

Please let me also apologize for the technical issues you perceived during your stay. Our technical department is always ready to help. Please just notify our reception. Regarding the selection of TV-channels, we are currently improving this together with our provider. The next time you stay we will be able to offer you a wider choice.

Please note that only hotel guests and Spa members have acces to our So Spa.

Again, I thank you for your comment which will help us to improve our performance.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel during a winter holiday in Europe. We arrived by train from Switzerland and were delighted to see that the hotel was literally next to the train station - very convenient! Additionally, the hotel is only a short walk (maybe 3-4 blocks) to the main old town section of Munich. We were in Munich during the holiday season and the Sofitel Bayerpost's location made if very easy for us to access the Christmas markets. Also, the hop-on/hop-off tour station is about 2 blocks from the hotel. Location doesn't get much better than this!

The staff at the hotel are very polite and check-in/check-out were a breeze. The hotel is clean and modern with very well-appointed rooms. The rooms are large by European standards with large bathrooms and plenty of closet space.

While we didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, we did have drinks at the bar which was lovely. I definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for central location and modern amenities. The Sofitel Bayerpost has it all - proximity and luxury!

1  Thank pmb20

Dear guests,

Thank you very much for this great feedback! There is no better motivation than making our guests happy.

It was a pleasure welcoming you here and I hope that you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This hotel is a modern state of art hotel. It was my first time at this hotel and i enjoyed my stay here. Nice spacious rooms, cleanliness maintained, comfortable beds, helpful staff, etc. Could not find any negative to quote for this hotel except for the pricing as i found it to be a bit expensive. Overall a fantastic business stay. Will definitely recommend for other business travellers. Would stay here again during my next business trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for all these nice words! It is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and I am already looking forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost.