“Welcome Home”

Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
Ranked #24 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed here a year ago and they were so nice that we arranged our trip to France to include a stopover in Munich. Last year they upgraded us to a small suite but this year we got a large suite with two floors! The bedroom is upstairs with the large bath and the sitting room below with a half bath. Luxury to be sure!

The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful and the concierge helped us choose the best seafood place in Viktualenmarkt.

There is a fitness center and a quirky pool from which you can see the lobby, but they cant see you. There is also a sauna in the Spa complex.

The Isar Bar is upscale and probably too hip for us, but we enjoyed visiting for a drink and on one occasion, a light meal.

The restaurant is excellent and we had a lovely Easter lunch: smoked trout, loin of lamb and a chocolate dome with rabbit ears.

The hotel is a short walk from the center of town and is right next door to the main railroad station. The hospitality is so wonderful that we are already thinking of when we may return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear guests,

It is a pleasure to hear that we could already welcome you for the second time at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost and that we were again able to offer you a free upgrade to one of our beautiful suites, which we are always happy to do should the booking situation allow.

I am glad that we could offer you again such a great stay and hope that we may welcome you again very soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were asked if we wanted to upgrade at check in to a duplex suite for an additional 50 euro per night, which we did, and we were given room 842 on the 8th floor. It had a large lounge area plus a toilet downstairs, and a bedroom and bathroom upstairs, with rooftop views over to the Alps (weather permitting). The room had a subtle grey-themed decor, with a sofa and chairs plus a table and chairs, with lots of cupboard space downstairs. There were huge windows with electric blinds, operated either from downstairs or bedside. Unfortunately for a five star hotel, the fridge was the type which registers all bottles taken out of it, with just a small area for your own stuff, but there was a kettle, a Nespresso machine, a free bottle of water daily, two TVs and a wardrobe. The bed (two twins pushed together with separate duvets) was very comfortable. The bathroom was small with just a shower and no bath, but did come with a duck and lots of nice Hermes toiletries. There are notices exhorting you to reuse towels but nowhere to hang them so they would dry! Also the hairdryer was crap - the type where you have to hold the button in with your thumb, which if you have long hair gets quite painful after a while.
They offer both free WiFi, which seemed fine for e-mails etc, and we also paid for WiFi for an iPad, which was very fast.
They were having problems with the key system whilst we were there and we had to be issued with new keys four times.
Housekeeping were good, although very late on the second day (after 4pm) and turn down only happened once.
The bar was quite busy but very good service and the food (steak sandwich and Curry wurst) was quite good. We didn't eat any other meals at the hotel. We did use the gym, which is small but quite well equipped and was quiet when we were there.
The location is good for trains and trams, but there is not a lot in the area at night, e.g. restaurants.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for views as it is quite built up around the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear guests,

Thank you for this detailed comment on your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. Our duplex suites on the 8th floor are very special indeed. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your time with us.

I thank you for the little hints that we may use to make your stay even more comfortable in future and am already looking forward to welcoming you again.

best regards

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Great location, very beautiful and quiet .
Service is definitely more then 5*!
Everybody is very helpful, whatever you request from them consider it done.
Room was spacious and lovely, bathroom was very nice and I love the little yellow ducks in the bathroom. Very nice touch!
Ordered room service pretty late, got it quickly and food was very tasty.
Definitely will return to this hotel when I will be visiting Munich again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TeneSaarva
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for this great feedback. It was a pleasure having you here and we always love to be of service whenever there is anything we may do for you.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you again.

Thank you for recommending us.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The Sofitel is located right next to the main train station and this was really the main reason I chose to stay there. It was fairly expensive but the convenience of the train station made it worth while. It also an easy 10 minute walk to the main shopping area.

I booked a Superior Room with 1 king bed (which was actually 2 single beds pushed together) and was lucky to get a view that wasn't the train station or the centre courtyard. The booking was through Expedia so just be aware that if you do this you wont be credited with Accor points which I don't agree with. There were a couple of other hotels close to the train station but as I was a Gold Accor member I chose Sofitel.

The rooms are not large but they are nice. The Nespresso machine is a great addition and the Hermes bathroom products are very nice. The bedding, as with all Sofitels I have stayed in, is awesome and I had great sleeps.

I really liked the the door locks as all you needed to do is wave your card over the reader and then push the door open. Very convenient when you have your hands full.

The breakfast, although expensive, is fantastic. I was really impressed with the large selection of healthy breakfast options. Particularly the range of fresh juices including the vegetable juice mixtures which I took full advantage of. Well done Sofitel F&B!!!!

The Gym and spa area is very interesting. While I didn't use the swimming pool I did use the Sauna area after an early morning run to thaw out and it was really good.

I will more than likely stay at this property again if I am back in Munich

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Railway station look like they are not the best so ask for one that isn't o...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Garyjwills

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Munich Bayerpost for your stay in Munich. Indeed, our location is perfect if you want to go anywhere in the city but still would like to have the best access to any means of public transport possible.

Every day we strive to make each guest's stay a most comfortable one marked not only by high quality service and products but also by implementing new ideas. Thus, only a few weeks ago we introduced the "healthy corner" at our breakfast buffet. Before, we already had a vast choice of healthy products but with implementing the Sofitel De-Light progamme we now offer an even greater variety.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Writing it in my room in sofitel munich, normally i leave a feedback after my trip but this hotel amazed me, hence writing now.
I pick this hotel because of its rate in trip advisor and i am so happy with my choose. The hotel is located next to main train station. The location is great.
The room is not big like sofitel london, but it is ok, the design of shower is so nice. They have an umbrella in each room which is so useful in rainy days. The SPA is superb, design of swimming pool is A+ the sauna is lovely. As a result i will stay here again in my next trip to munich.
Another 5 stars for sofitel.
Thanks sofitel

Room Tip: Great for couples
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much or this amazing feedback. It is a pleasure to hear how much you are enjoying your stay with us. If there is anything we may do for you, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Having stayed in other Sofitels around the world, our hopes were high for it's outpost in Munich.Unfortunately we were disappointed.

While the location next door to the main train station and the 15-minute walk to the Marienplatz certainly scored points, these were the best aspects of our stay there..not what you would expect for a hotel group with this reputation.

The rooms were very dark (possibly to hide the dust) and shabby with poor ventilation leaving us no option but to open our room door after showering.The much-touted gym and pool facilities were also a let-down with a limited number of equipment in the gym and a pool that could only be described as resembling an 'underwater cave'..underlit with hidden alcoves and low ceilings in places...nice for lounging after a spa treatment but not for those who'd like to exercise the limbs after a long trip or go for a dip with children.The 5 o'clock limit on children under 12 in the gym/pool area also restricts family usage in the early evening.

On a positive note, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the beds as always in Sofitel were extremely comfortable...all in all, save your money and stay somewhere else as this was certainly not worth the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. I am very sorry to hear that our house could not meet the expectations that were created by other hotels of our brand. Of course, design is always a debatable topic but you may well expect a room that is clean and well maintained.

Should there ever be anything that does not meet your expectations or that is not in the perfect condition we stand for, please don't hesitate to let us know immediately as we are always glad to help already during your stay.

Of course, due to the limited space in the immediate station area, we were limited as to the size of gym and pool but hope that we made the best it by offering an area of perfect relaxation.

I thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I chose this hotel due to its favorable reviews on tripadvisor, and chose it even in spite of the Le Meridien being next to it and in spite of my lifetime elite status at Starwood. I booked the prepaid rate even though this is business travel at my discretionary expense. At reception I was shown the worst possible room with windows facing some internal construction-like iron bars, with low lighting where you can't even see outside. I exited the room immediately and asked for another room, and I was told that with my rate, which is a "Superior Room", all she could offer was rooms facing similar crappy views. I was then moved to Room 228 where it was supposedly facing a different direction. When I entered, it was the facing the SAME direction with the same awful iron bars. I actually asked the receptionist if it was the rate I paid (being too low), basically hinting that I was willing to pay more but the receptionist apparently didn't get the hint, just simply acquiesced that it was the rate. Since I had a meeting in half an hour I just couldn't bother to go further. Now I completely regret my decision not to be loyal to SPG, as I would never be treated this way.

Anyhow I think this is my fault since it was my choice to begin with. The receptionist did her job but nothing more - just explained the rules. But it did make me feel "cheap" (I am sure it was not her intention but it was the emotional impact). For all of you considering this hotel, please DON'T book the lowest rate for room type "Superior Room" because you will surely be given a room that is anything but superior. If that's what I am getting for what I paid, I might as well have spent the money in a 3-star hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book the Superior Rooms at Prepaid Rates, a total rip off.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EEEEA1234

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. I am very sorry to hear that neither the room nor our service met your expectations. Of course, given your dislike for the view from your first room, we should have been able to find another room with a different view in the same category - always depending on the booking situation. I understand your disappointment at our handling of the situation and assure you that I will personally take care to train our team again on the guest oriented behaviour that you may well expect from us.

I hope that we may welcome you again to prove that we are able to meet all your expectations.