“As usual, TripAdvisor doesn't let me down. Excellent value in Munich.”

Hotel am Viktualienmarkt
Ranked #112 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Sao Paulo, SP
“As usual, TripAdvisor doesn't let me down. Excellent value in Munich.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days. I started in the single room, which is really, really tiny. As I was on a business trip, I didn't care about that, because I'm more concerned about the bed quality and room cleanliness. I moved to another room with a double bed (the single one wasn't available for my whole stay), which was equally good in terms of bed quality and cleanliness, but spacier. Both had small bathrooms, but they were clean and had modern installations.
The rooms were quiet, probably because of the thick walls and because they are turned towards a backyard (but even the front seems quiet, as the Utzschneider street is narrow and very calm). The only source of noise was the plank flooring, which resonates a lot when somebody walks down the hall. Anyway, it didn't disturb my sleep.
I also enjoyed the fact that the hotel had non-smoking rooms (I guess it was the whole floor, because I didn't notice cigarette smell at all).
The breakfast is German-style, so don't expect American or other international options. If you like whole wheat bread, yoghurt, müsli, ham, cheese and fruit jam like me, you will be satisfied.
Service is fast and the personnel was always very friendly.
The location is exceptional: a few steps from the fantastic Viktualienmarkt, a 5 minute walk from the Marienplatz subway and train station. Many restaurants are nearby, as well as two small supermarkets.
Munich is famous for its high hotel rates, so the rates of Hotel am Viktualienmarkt are not dead-cheap, but the value is exceptional. If you book the single room in advance, you can get it for 59 Euros. I guess you will hardly find anything similar in terms of quality and location for that.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Finnish first
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

This place was great for my family of 5. We got the suite upstairs. It was nice to have the easy walk to the outstanding Viktualienmarkt. The upstairs suite has some typical low/slanted ceiling sections, but is manageable. The shower leaked a lot. The included breakfast was marvelous. Loading and unloading was tricky on the crowded street, and parking was two blocks away. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kvaakp
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I were lucky enough to book a room here at the last minute during Oktoberfest. Considering the rates we were looking at with other hotels, this was a steal! I was expecting something very basic. The service, room and breakfast exceeded my expectations.

The front desk staff was helpful when we had questions, efficient with check-in/check-out, and let us keep our bags in the lobby after check-out so that we could go sight-seeing without having to carry our luggage.

We only had one night in Munich and wanted to make the most of it. The location is perfect, with restaurants, sights and transportation all within walking distance.

The room was basic, but clean and modern feeling. We were on a lower floor and had no issue with the internet.

The breakfast buffet was classic, with a variety of breads, meats, cheese, cereal, yogurt, eggs and more. We had enough to skip lunch. :) I got up a little early and wanted coffee, so I simply went downstairs and brought it back to the room. The wait staff set me up with a tray and cream, sugar. No complaints!

Everyone has different needs for a hotel. I like small, clean, simple furnishings, good food, help when I need it, quiet, reasonably-priced and walking distance to transportation, sights and restaurants. I got everything I wanted with this hotel and I would go back.

Room Tip: Choose a lower floor for better Wi-Fi access.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anjamj
Billingham, Cleveland. UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed here for two nights to experience the Christmas markets. Hotel very clean, helpful staff and central location for Marienplatz and the subway system. As two ladies we had no worries wLking back to this hotel late evening and overall felt very safe in this city

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank lesleyandy11
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in December. We had the top floor family apartment which had 2 separate bedrooms and a bathroom. The rooms were a good size and everything was very clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice of hot and cold food. The location was excellent, a 5 minute walk to the Marienplatz. We loved the Christmas markets here and so many restaurants to choose from. We would love to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank AnneGeoff
Pretoria, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights last weekend. The location of the hotel was excellent. It is a block away from the viktualien markt and 2 blocks from the Marienplatz station.

The hotelroom itself was very average. Although they provided us with an internet logon, we could not access the internet in our room, which was on the 3rd floor. We had to go to the lobby to get access and this was a problem, because we used facebook to keep family updated on our trip and also liked to plan the next day. No coffee facilities were available in the room. It would have nice to be able to make coffee in your room, especially in winter when it is cold outside.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Optifin
Stavanger
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We really enjoyed the hotel and the hospitality. The breakfast was very nice, the rooms were clean and well equipped, and the location was perfect for walking to all of the sights, restaurants and museums that we wanted to visit. The only reason I did not score "5" was the Internet was rather intermittent. I could sit in the lobby with the iPad working on the Wifi, but the iPhone would not. It made little sense to me since the iPhone was able to access earlier in the day. other than that, wonderful place.

Room Tip: We had room 23 for 3 nights (2 adults, one teen), then moved to two separate rooms (19 single and 24...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family