“A must-do in Munich”

In Their Shoes Dachau Memorial Tours
Ranked #7 of 127 Tours in Munich
More attraction details
Owner description: In Their Shoes runs authorised tours of the Dachau Memorial and around Munich specialising in this particular dark period of German and European history. For several years we have had thousands of satisfied guests participate in one of our educational and historic tours. This authorised tour of the Dachau Memorial traces the history of the former concentration camp and offers insight into the reasons behind the injustices as well as the circumstances under which the victims suffered. Our professional English speaking guides are all accredited to conduct tours around the memorial site. Please visit our website for more information and booking online.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Having recently visited Auschwitz, I was hesitant to take this tour but my companion really wanted to see Dachau so we booked with James after taking his Mike's Bikes Tour (also highly recommended). Meeting place and travel to the camp was easy; and the tour itself was informative, emotional and tinged with inspiration at the very end. Would recommend this tour, and more specifically James, to any traveller interested in the Third Reich or history, but would recommend it more to those who've no idea - because its certainly eye opening!

There are newer reviews for In Their Shoes Dachau Memorial Tours

Reviewed 30 May 2014

My wife, 21 year-old daughter, and I toured Dachau with James as our guide. He is very knowledgable and does an excellent job. We met him at the Munich train station and rode an S-Bahn train out to the site. There were two other couples in our group, for a total of 7 people. The small group size was perfect, allowing for much questions and conversation. James began his presentation about the history of Dachau while we were still on the train, and he continued with a great deal of history throughout the tour. James' presentation is polished and concise, yet full of details. The visit was sobering, and James handled delicate subject matter quite well. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone planning a visit to the site.

1  Thank Pat H
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I just returned from a short stay in Munich. We wanted to experience a concentration camp in Germany but also wanted to ensure that we went on a guided tour so that we really learned the history behind the camp. James proved to be extremely knowledgable and friendly throughout the tour. He was able to respect the lives that were lost there. I highly recommend going on one of his tours.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Although I could have done this tour on my own at no charge there is just way too much information to read and I'm glad I had James as a guide. He knew his stuff. It is well worth the charge to have a guide. I know I got a lot more information this way and he kept my attention. It was warm that day and he took care to make sure the slow, old twin ladies in our tour had a place to rest and time out of the sun. I saw other tour groups that were very large; probably 25 people or better. Our group was small; maybe 10 people so we could get close enough to hear him talk.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Touching and emotional, I did no take the tour but I have heard good things about it.
I visitied on my own, as train connections from Munich to Dachau are very good, and then a taxi from the train station, or even the bus, is convenient. The visit to the camp is a sombre and emotional experience, but highly recommended to everyone at least once, just for the personal impact alone. It is all presented openly and tastefully, but the impact is startling. To experience the contrast of walking through the lovely trees, and then open into the crematorium area; another treed pathway leading to the area where hundreds were shot; the efficiency of rows upon rows of dormitry foundations laid out in a methodical pattern all to store and process people. When you return to the train station there is a lovely little restaurant across the street to revitalize yourself before continuing on.