“Woken at 7.30am by a drill outside our room window”

MEININGER Hotel Munich City Center
Cork, Ireland
“Woken at 7.30am by a drill outside our room window”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We booked a room for 3, it was made up for 2. The sofa which was to bethe 3rd bed was old, dirty and had a good number of holes in it. A gang of teenagers made a lot of noise in the corridors until very late, and we were woken at 7.30am by a very loud drill DIRECTLY outside our window, where men were laying a patio. This occurred the two mornings we were staying here. Not impressed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Meininger’s network is a recognized budget hotel and widespread in Germany and it’s some neighboring country. From central station we have to ride a tram to get this hotel since it laid in another 1.5 km distance. I spent few minutes to ensure this since it seemed very near on the map. Most of occupants by that time were youngsters from multinational travelers. Until late night we’re squeezed with their hustle and bustle even the beer festival season was over. But sure we realized cause we are here in Bavarian, beside we love Bayern Munchen FC too.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
UK
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed here for one night as part of a large group as a stop off on our way to another location in Germany. It was a basic hostel. I was lucky to stay in a twin room rather than a larger room with bunks and I was looking forward to a good night sleep. The room was clean, so was the bathroom, and it had a rather nice television. I thought it would be fine.

However, I slept VERY badly. In fact, I'm not sure I slept at all. I could hear what sounded like salsa music until the early hours from an outside bar (facing the opposite direction to the front of the building). Then, people shouting outside, a few sirens and crashes. This then stopped. Then, some unruly guests decided they would bang on the wall, then go and knock on their friends' door for what sounded like 10 minutes, and then go and scream in the corridor and slam some doors. The room was also very warm. Obviously not all these factors can be blamed on the hostel, but if you stay here, beware that there are clubs around and that people won't get told off for making noise.

When I checked out there was only one lady on reception - if you're in a hurry, you would need to queue up about 45 minutes in advance. The people in front were really rude and kept letting all their friends but in. I felt sorry for the lady on the desk as she had a lot to contend with but she was still smiley and happy.

So, it's clean, but lots of people in my group complained about noise so the location is not so great.

Room Tip: There's a club out the back so it's especially noisy there.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ninja91

Travellers are raving about these Munich hotels

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Some things in life are bad. Somethings in life are sad. But the Meininger Hostel is certainly far from rad. The room was hot, the lockers broke and there was a balcony but you could not smoke. The staff were polite, but didn't set the world alight. All in all, at the end, the Meininger Hostel? Just don't stay.

• Stayed June 2012
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I only paid 40 Euros for a private double room - unfortunately this was room 101 on the ground floor right next to the door at the end of the corridoor which slammed shut every 10 mins. First tip try not to get lumbered witha room by the main door to each corridoor. Room was clean toliet clean and nice enough beds etc. Bar area was ok with a pool table. It basically you get what you pay for. If you want a good nights sleep do as i did head out for a few beers to make you drift off easily. I slept surprisingly well and all in all it did the job for the one night i was staying there before i moved to another hotel when my friends arrived in Munich the next day. Service was effiecint but like all these sort of hotels the reception was always busy - with enquiries etc so don't expect to get checked in too quickly. Location is good opposite a beer hall and only round the corner from Hackerbrueker S bahn station with access to all over the city. They also sell all day tickets at reception for getting round the city this saves trying to work out the complicated ticket machines at the stations.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher numbered room on you floor e.g 110, 310 etc as the lower numbers are by the cor...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Davehudds
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Firstly I am paying 30 euros a night for a 10 bed dorm room! I was staying there for 3 nights; each night I had to pack up all my stuff and move.  Each night I was not told of this until I arrived home from the day to find my belongings moved in the room.

I would then go down to reception where they would only then inform me of my next room. The offered to throw in a free breakfast for my troubles.  The bathrooms were dirty.  There were feral school kids everywhere!

This is the worst place I have stayed at in 6months of traveling - avoid it!!

• Stayed June 2012
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed in a private room for two nights. The room itself was very clean and the beds were comfortable. Really appreciated the lively atmosphere in the lobby area with free wifi and a bar. Very relaxed with lots of people chilling out. Only one major issue LOTS OF SCHOOL TRIPS which meant that there were over 100 teenagers running around, shouting, playing music, slamming doors almost all night. I would avoid this place if you don't like school kids keeping you awake all night. It is not for regular backpackers or adult travellers.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business