“Worth it!”
Review of Wombat's Munich

Wombat's Munich
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Good value for price, near the train station and nice walk from the city center. We were a group of six and had our owm private bathroom. Normal room, but has a nice bar ( serving breakfast, snacks and quick meals for a very good price!)
Good open area inside to meet people, nice staff

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank NVR2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,175)

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I only stayed here for one night to break up a long train trip, but it was a great place to stay. It's very close to the train station and there are lots of places to eat, etc, around. The room was very big and the beds were nice. There was even a large table in the room, which was nice for doing computer work. There was wifi throughout the whole hostel and the staff were helpful with suggestions of places to eat. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed with some girlfriends at this hostel for four days and three nights. I was so impressed by this hostel even before I arrived! It is located so close to the train station and the directions were extremely easy to follow. We arrived several hours before check-in and they allowed us to hang out, use the facilities and Wi-Fi, and offered tons of suggestions for local quick activities to pass the time before check-in. After a night train, their couches, hammocks, and comfy chairs were such a welcome luxury:) Our room was clean and spacious and the staff was enthusiastic and accommodating. Wombat's offers several guided tours to help orient travelers to the city and surrounding area. Although we didn't take advantage of these, we were able to talk to tons of other guests who had and all had rave reviews.

This is definitely an awesome place for young travelers or people who are looking to meet other travelers. At night, The downstairs lobby/ common areas transform into a pretty serious bar scene. We meandered through the crowd on one of the nights and met some interesting people and had a good time. We were a little older (late 20's) than most of the people we met (but not all of them!) and did find that our street-side room was quite noisy well into the night/early morning.

I would recommend this hostel to ANYONE. In my opinion, this place is the best as far as hostels go.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a really good night's sleep, ask for a room that does not face the str...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ananda D
Reviewed 20 January 2014

When my brother and I were traveling around Germany we feel in love with these hostels. The location is fanatics, the staff was amazingly helpful and the other guest were a lot of fun. We had a great time at Wombat and I would definitely use them again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The hotel is located very near main railway station and Karlsplatz, approx 7-10 min walk.
The facilities are on average. Wifi connection at the lobby is ok but very poor at my room. The hot drinking water machine is out of service during my stay.

Anyway the room is clean and sleep quality is good enough.
The staffs are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The best thing about this hostel were the other travellers. Everyone was really friendly and chatty, especially at breakfast and in the room. I think the hostel gets a reputation as a party hostel but I think you could equally meet great people in the morning instead.
Rooms were 6 bed and very spacious (compared to other hostels). En suite shower room was clean and had a good, powerful shower.
The reception staff were pretty friendly and really helpful for any questions and storing bags.
The location is good for the central station and only a short walk to Karlplatz and all the main sights. The immediate area itself is a little soul-less but certainly not dangerous.
Breakfast was very good at 4EUR, especially the toasties! You would be paying at least 2EUR for a coffee elsewhere anyway!

The tour!! The tour sets off from reception at 10:45am (I think) and you pay what you want at the end (5 - 10EUR). The man who runs the tour is really friendly and certainly a character! The tour lasts around 3 hours with stops for lunch and drinks (amazing bratwurst and beer for 5EUR!!). I learned a HELL of a lot about the history of Munich! (more than I could from a guidebook). The only downside to this tour is that if english is not your main language, you may struggle to understand everything.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2014

If you have spent much time in European hostels, then you might consider this hostel to be somewhat mundane. The feautures, rooms and decorating are all very basic. The thing that makes me want to return to this hostel are the people I met, and the location. You cant beat a two minute walk from the train station, and I always prefer to stay in the larger rooms because there are tons of cool people to meet and explore the city with. The staff was helpful and really laid back - exactly what you would expect in this type of environment.

Directly outside the hostel, there was a guy in his mid 20's advertising a walking tour of the city on the cheap, and I decided I would try it as I was travelling solo. He took a group of people to all the popular places in Munich like Hofbrau, but he also showed us some places that were a little off the beaten path. At the end of the night I tipped him, and then stayed out with the group.

I stayed at Wombats for four nights and I met some really cool people from Sweden and Canada whom I split my time hanging out with adventuring around the city. I might check out another hostel next time I am in Munich just because I enjoy variety, but I would absolutely reccommend this place to anyone visiting Munich. You wont be disappointed!

Room Tip: Bigger rooms - more people to meet and cheaper!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo